• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC theaters are strapped for cash, renting out theaters starting at $99

tkscz

AMC allows rentals of up to 20 people. According to its website, rates start at $99, excluding tax, and increase to $349 depending on the movie, the theater's location and any other add-ons like food and drink. AMC's FAQ page lists renting a microphone to greet guests as an extra $100 charge, while more time to enter an auditorium, beyond the standard 15 minutes, will cost another $250.

Here is the link to the website: Rent a theater

Right now the movie choices suck (for the $99 price) and aren't worth that prince if you don't have enough people, also $100 extra for snacks :/

Though, my birthday is coming up, might not be a bad idea if the movie choice changes.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Why not just project like a sports game or basically let people show whatever they want on the screen? Hell, let people hook up a damn Xbox to it or something.

A group might pay for that just to he able to get out of the house and use an awesome sound system and screen, buy some popcorn, ect.

PSYGN

Movie choices weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Nightmare Before Christmas might be fun to see again on a big screen even though I've seen it a million times.

JordanN

Banned
But I thought large gatherings in indoor spaces attracted Covid?

DGU0tJr.gif

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
$100 for 20 people? That's, what, $5 a person?
Big screen marathon of the original Star Trek movies, with RiffTrax, would be cool.

teezzy

Banned
Why not just project like a sports game or basically let people show whatever they want on the screen? Hell, let people hook up a damn Xbox to it or something.

A group might pay for that just to he able to get out of the house and use an awesome sound system and screen, buy some popcorn, ect.

Awesome idea but I'm sure there is some crazy licensing fees and legal crap involved at that point

SegaShack

"AMC's FAQ page lists renting a microphone to greet guests as an extra $100 charge, while more time to enter an auditorium, beyond the standard 15 minutes, will cost another $250."

That upcharge...

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Well if I'm going to have the entire theater rented and to myself I don't see any reason to wear pants.

Alcibiades

I did this yesterday with Cinemark.

$99 to watch the "new" Jumanji movie with immediate and some extended family. Around $150 including popcorn and soda (which is discounted compared to non-COVID rates).

I think I'm going to do this again in the next few weeks if they still have Jurassic Park as an option.

It's not a bad way to spend some time or throw a party, and the price is OK for what they offer.

Mistake

There are plenty of drive-in theaters around me. Those are more fun and a lot cheaper than what they’re selling

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Could be fun, members of a group, massive friend groups etc. could use this as a chance to separate themselves from the public gatherings

#Phonepunk#

Banned
you can buy your own 1080p projector for that much and have change leftover for popcorn.

this movie list is looking rough...

GMo0wfN.jpg
kFAiPBS.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nothing abnormal about this.

Movie theatres can be rented out all the time. You guys didn't know this? Not just for movies, but you can rent out a theatre for meetings or people presenting on stage.

They will charge you a fee. Then add on additional fees if you want snack bar food, playing files/videos on screen, or showing customized movies. If you play a movie you don't have to show what they carrying.

It's really no different than asking a restaurant if you can rent it out for company party for an evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Nothing abnormal about this.

Movie theatres can be rented out all the time. You guys didn't know this? Not just for movies, but you can rent out a theatre for meetings or people presenting on stage.

They will charge you a fee. Then add on additional fees if you want snack bar food, playing files/videos on screen, or showing customized movies. If you play a movie you don't have to show what they carrying.

It's really no different than asking a restaurant if you can rent it out for company party for an evening.

I don't think anyones confused at the story. I imagine most of us know you can rent out a theater. I just figured before the shutdown it was more expensive and fewer slots were available. You know, cause they were screening movies.

Top Bottom