• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's MMO "New World" will have XP boosts and fast travel in their storefront to skip early content

Aion002

So the early game is that bad that people can pay to skip it.

2 Chainz GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It seems no one can or no one desires to innovate mmorpgs. I still have friends that say to me, 'man, why would you play an mmorpg for its story?' I mean, jfc, couldn't hurt to have an engaging story and universe, IDK! Lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
The difference is WoW is on the market for over 15 years and probably the games with the most content ever. For a newcomer in this genre this is not the way to go...

It's really no different than being able to buy Battle Pass levels in a game like Fortnite. There will always be people who would rather just buy their way to the end then actually playing the game.

Skifi28

Of course it is, and I’m sure they won’t make the XP grinding unnecessary tedious and make more people buy XP boosts...
That's a bit different though. There's over 15 years worth of content in WoW and some of it has not aged very well. Still, If they remove legacy stuff there'll be an outrage so they find ways around it while earning money. I say they've found a pretty decent balance between having all content available, being able to speed through it as well as downright skip it. This on the other hand isn't really an excuse for a brand new game that hasn't even released yet. The main issue all MMOs face at launch is lack of content and you're already skipping it? Sounds pretty bad any way you look at it.

Last edited:

shaddam

I played wow for years, and the most memorable things happened me during leveling and playing on max level with friends. I bet they will have matchmaking like modern wow, killing the whole mmo aspect of the game

Retinoid

The golden age of MMOs are long gone. I think a lot of the appeal during their heyday was the relative slowness of new information being passed on the internet and among the community - which gave a sense of mystique and community effort to try and figure out the game world and its mechanics. Unfortunately, because of the perpetual connection we all have to each other now due to smart phones and social media this has essentially removed a core aspect of the MMO experience during the golden age of the mid 2000s. No one wants to be on the grind for levels or XP anymore in a mysterious game world when other MP games can provide instant gratification for the player, and publishers know this which is why they provide these options. It sucks, but it's the truth.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Pay us money to not play our game.

pretty sure i can do the same for free

Last edited:

GHG

For all the hard working men and women out there: Pay double to see the credits and unlock all achievements.

We understand you don't have time in your life for entertainment products such as videogames so we created a new and innovative way to simulate the feeling of pride and accomplishment you get from playing through a game start to finish.

For a one time fee you too can relive the feeling you used to get when playing videogames in your spare time. The best thing about it, you don't have to spend any time actually playing the game, this way you can continue to ensure all of your time is spent working to make more money that you can ultimately give to us because we know you love the feeling of seeing those final achievements pop and the credits roll.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
Game not even out and they want us to skip some parts of it? mutha fucka i'm skipping all of it, trash

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, it's DOA. If they don't undo this then a lot of what's left of the MMO market that isn't already playing something else won't even glance at it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Early content is how you learn to play your class. Remember when you could buy levelled chars in wow and then you had night elf priests critting greater heals and not knowing how to use fade etc.

mortal

Gold Member
lol why would I even be compelled to spend my time to play it at all, like where's the incentive at that point?

Top Bottom