• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazons games: New World Deep Dive ( PC mmo )

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Meh, looked at some of it. Just like Ashes of creation it looks like a b-tier game. I want something that has the same excitement and impact as original Wow, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

DPS healers have been done before in Vanguard and The Secret World. Healers in FFXIV are the best jobs because it’s a game of letting your tank get as low as possible without dying meanwhile you’re doing some DPS.

DPS tanks were in FFXI. Dual War/Nin tanks that swapped threat and Ninja main tanks (maybe sub job BlackMage for spell damage or sub job Ranger for tossing shurikens).

WoW is far from the only MMO on the market. A lot of you are just showing off your own ignorance.

My problem with tanking and healing is that it is unwanted by the player base, and it is not realistic at all. It doesn't matter how fun you make tanks or healers, the majority of the player base wants to drink beer and kill monsters, not be stressed with the responsibility that tanking or healing has. Therefore by artificially forcing the need to have tanks and healers in instanced content, you restrict how the players engage with the content either with long ass queues or forcing people to join guilds that they maybe don't want to join.

Also keep in mind this is 1000% an unnecessary MMO trope. In real combat you don't have some big asshole stand there with tons of armor and soak up damage and cast some type of retard spell on the bad guys so that they ignore the squishy ass archers doing all the damage. The idea of tanks and healers is only there because of the game design, it is not there as some type of attempted simulation of real combat. It can be designed out. And it should be because the players don't want it.

CloudNull

Banned
I think Amazon is sending out keys at some point today.
That is only if you bought it from Amazon. If you buy it from Amazon you should already have a key and you will get a key within 48 hours going forward.

If you bought it on Steam it will show up as a different game called "New World Closed Beta". For me this is already in my library but I cannot install the game.

DeaDPo0L84

I've never been able to seriously get into a traditional mmo. I have no issue with grind in games and even enjoy it to an extent as long as the game respects my time. I recently got my PS5 and am on my 6th playthrough of Demons Souls just cause I'm trying to get the platinum trophy. Before that I was really into Destiny but kinda taking a break at the moment.

My previous mmo experiences have been ESO and FF after they fixed a lot of the launch issues. I enjoyed both to an extent but they just felt so formulaic and never really got their hooks in me. I'd like to find one that I can actually get into especially with friends, I may give this one a try, it at least has my curiosity.

meernakh

If only they had the license for an epic fantasy series to turn into an mmo because this looks like generic drab missing a clear defined source of inspiration. Why the hell cancel your lotr mmo but keep this going?

CloudNull

Banned
I've never been able to seriously get into a traditional mmo. I have no issue with grind in games and even enjoy it to an extent as long as the game respects my time. I recently got my PS5 and am on my 6th playthrough of Demons Souls just cause I'm trying to get the platinum trophy. Before that I was really into Destiny but kinda taking a break at the moment.

My previous mmo experiences have been ESO and FF after they fixed a lot of the launch issues. I enjoyed both to an extent but they just felt so formulaic and never really got their hooks in me. I'd like to find one that I can actually get into especially with friends, I may give this one a try, it at least has my curiosity.
You should check this out. The combat is very similar to the souls series. Action combat with stamina management.

For those interested:

If only they had the license for an epic fantasy series to turn into an mmo because this looks like generic drab missing a clear defined source of inspiration. Why the hell cancel your lotr mmo but keep this going?
Because the normal Fantasy setting is over done. The mixture of history and the unique weapons makes for a much better setting. Plus fans of LotR would never be happy no matter how good the game was.

meernakh

You should check this out. The combat is very similar to the souls series. Action combat with stamina management.

For those interested:

Because the normal Fantasy setting is over done. The mixture of history and the unique weapons makes for a much better setting. Plus fans of LotR would never be happy no matter how good the game was.

Lotro is an mmo that is actually very well received by lotr fanbase. Its very possible to make one. I think the style they came up with now is rather overdone. It lacks soul.

For me it’s a hard pass but im sure there is an audiance for this. I doubt it will have much legs tho.

The art direction and setting is starting to really grow on me and some of the PVP I have seen resemble the good times I had in Warhammer Online. I will be giving this a shot this week once the key comes through from my preorder.

CloudNull

Banned
Lotro is an mmo that is actually very well received by lotr fanbase. Its very possible to make one. I think the style they came up with now is rather overdone. It lacks soul.

For me it’s a hard pass but im sure there is an audiance for this. I doubt it will have much legs tho.
Yeah the game was beloved.... I even played it a bit but times have changed. I feel fanbases are much worse now a days and the game would get destroyed no matter how good it was.... just my opinion.

Not going to lie I was stoked for it but I hope it means that they want to put all their resources in this game.

CloudNull

Banned
Preloading right meow. Sadly I have to work in the office tomorrow so wont be able to dive in until after work. Hopefully by then all issues will be ironed out.

CloudNull

Banned
Pre-order on Amazon, try it out, cancel before 8/31 and you won't ever be charged for the game.
This guy has the right idea.

Im excited to see the changes. Not preordering for a beta tho. Hope we can get keys without preordering
You can sign up on their website for access without paying but sounds like access will be random. The above option sounds to be correct way to play it.

Luipadre

This guy has the right idea.

You can sign up on their website for access without paying but sounds like access will be random. The above option sounds to be correct way to play it.

i signed up for access since 2019 i think :D

I hope this comes to consoles sometimes in the future. The combat is perfect for controller

Skifi28

0It has to have one of the most generic artstyles I've seen in a while. I'd like something to hold me over until the Guild Wars expansion, but it's difficult to even look at the videos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to seeing more impressions. I feel like this one has been a long time coming, and I could really do with a good MMORPG right about now.

Moochi

Actually WoW started to suck when it ditched the holy trinity and made every class a jack of all trades. They tried to make everyone happy and balance pvp and pve which led to chaos. Then each class lost their distinctive flavor and roles, meaning the dungeon were just full of dumb content where everyone ran back and forth to stay out of the fire and DPS as much as possible. The only positive trade off was that queue times were drastically reduced. What would have been nice was if the classes had been further specialized--more priest specific content, more rogue specific content, things that made you feel cool and needed. Instead everyone got to be everything and no one was special.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Actually WoW started to suck when it ditched the holy trinity and made every class a jack of all trades. They tried to make everyone happy and balance pvp and pve which led to chaos. Then each class lost their distinctive flavor and roles, meaning the dungeon were just full of dumb content where everyone ran back and forth to stay out of the fire and DPS as much as possible. The only positive trade off was that queue times were drastically reduced. What would have been nice was if the classes had been further specialized--more priest specific content, more rogue specific content, things that made you feel cool and needed. Instead everyone got to be everything and no one was special.

Every move WoW (and any other MMORPG) made to reduce dependence on other people (and specifically other roles) may have boosted short-term playability for solo enthusiasts, but I think hurt long term viability. More MMORPGs need to take a stand and make them multiplayer first again outside of just end-game raid content.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

The list of reasons why wow started to suck is so very long. A damn shame.

With the huge success of Wow classic, why isnt anyone making a simple Mmorpg like that? Drop the dumb mass siege pvp ideas, keep it simple.

CloudNull

Banned
You can launch the beta and adjust your settings now. Server list is still offline of course. Last beta I was getting 45 FPS at 4k on a 5700xt. I wonder if the performance got worse or better..... only time will tell.

Arsic

Gold Member
DPS healers have been done before in Vanguard and The Secret World. Healers in FFXIV are the best jobs because it’s a game of letting your tank get as low as possible without dying meanwhile you’re doing some DPS.

DPS tanks were in FFXI. Dual War/Nin tanks that swapped threat and Ninja main tanks (maybe sub job BlackMage for spell damage or sub job Ranger for tossing shurikens).

WoW is far from the only MMO on the market. A lot of you are just showing off your own ignorance.

FFXI was my main mmo forever. Don't pull the ignorance card when you just said NIN should sub BLM in XI.

NIN was a mediocre dps, especially compared to BLM or RNG.

On top of that the only way they got to tank was through Utsusemi, and another dps using sneak attack/trick attack to stack hate onto them because even after a provoke they would lose it quickly after without it. It worked for sure but at lower level groups a NIN tank is rough stuff, and later when you fought colibris for example they sucked because birds could rip off all shadow stacks with one move , and then they get destroyed as Ichi and Ni are on cool down.

FF14 healers are the best means to the class currently, and I hope Sage makes it even more fun and engaging.

Algan

During the preview in 2020, New World reached over 50k of players online simultaneously. I think the hype is bigger now than at first, so it seems pretty promising for a MMORPG.

newworld-702837.jpg

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Really want a new western-style MMO. So I'm hoping either this game or Ashes of Creation wins out. Tbh though, I see more hope for Ashes since Amazon game studios seems flighty af, and they are new.

Ceadeus

Has anyone played the beta using a laptop? I've got a gtx1060 6gb and i'm wondering how would the temperature be??

Ceadeus

Has anyone played the beta using a laptop? I've got a gtx1060 6gb and i'm wondering how would the temperature be??
Well, I'm updating on my own question. I just tried the beta and it's literally frying my CPU at 92 degree. Uninstalled and refunded lol...

It looks like a very good game otherwise

Kenpachii

During the preview in 2020, New World reached over 50k of players online simultaneously. I think the hype is bigger now than at first, so it seems pretty promising for a MMORPG.

newworld-702837.jpg

People are so hungry for a new mmo they drop 500 on ashes rofl

DeaDPo0L84

Enjoying the hell out of it, so much so I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, so did my wife and a couple of my friends who all plan to play together. It has a couple nagging issues but the foundation that is there currently is really solid. They really need to try and put a system in place to make it easy for friends/groups to start the game together and not have to go through hoops to have the same quest line after the first few tutorial missions. Me and my wife spawned in totally different parts on the map, did all the tutorial missions, picked the same faction so I ran all the way over to her, but then our faction quest were randomly different but sometimes the same location, it's kind of a mess. It's work for the most part but I assume they'll fix this by launch.

you have to put together a 5 man group for dungeons, yes. not solo friendly at all in that sense, you can't even get in solo. no groupfinder.
Well, I guess that's it for me then. I won't have four other friends playing the game and I'm not keen on PUGs or joining a guild. Thanks for letting me know, tho.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I think labeling it as an MMO could back fire. I think they have the foundation, but the depth and content is really light from what they have shown. It will be fire for about 2 weeks and then in a yr will release 2.0 which will add what is needed to keep it going. I am excited but it is like an AC creed game with some PvP that just doesnt have depth in weapons or variety of builds....yet

Top Bottom