• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Releases Best Sellers of 2020, Top 10 Dominated by Nintendo

Bodomism

Banned
Once again the forum spin doctor is getting a boner over fellow Nintendo fans having to paying full price for old games, and not getting discounted GOTY editions down the line etc.

But even ignoring the idiocy of this position, Sony's first-party primarily exist to attract gamers to the platform - a strategy that has served them extremely well five generations straight. And the bulk of their big first-party games like Spiderman, GoW and Uncharted were sold full price as pre-orders and standalone copies. You don't actually have any data to support your argument, you just repeat it over and over and post pictures of bundles like it's a bad thing. You're like the most pro anti-consumerist person the forum.
Th8AwqS_d.webp

This FY result

yrOSFCK.jpg

Last FY result.

Nintendo is going for a record breaking FY Operating income result in this FY2020/21.

Nintendo made around 10 billion usd of profits with Nintendo Switch since 2017.

Sony PS division made around 11 billion usd of profits with PS4 since 2013.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Nintendo made around 10 billion usd of profits with Nintendo Switch since 2017.

Sony PS division made around 11 billion usd of profits with PS4 since 2013.
And those profits will get a a very nice boost with 3.5m PS5s already sold, and a total of 17-18m next year, while Switch starts to tail off before it gets anywhere near PS2 sales numbers.

But while you're boasting about corporate profits and playing Animal Crossing, I'm playing The Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima and Dreams 🤭.

Sony's had a much better year than Nintendo in terms of quality games, that's why so many people are mentioning it on GAF.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I think others already said it, but the switch is also portable and has mostly family-friendly software it has a huge competitive advantage over xbox/playstation in this aspect and thus, not surprising with its performance this year. demon souls rated m, gears 5 rated m, halo master chief collection rated m, doom eternal rated m, last of us II rated m, ghosts of tsushima rated m, cyberpunk 2077 rated m...etc.

Bodomism

Banned
And those profits will get a a very nice boost with 3.5m PS5s already sold, and a total of 17-18m next year, while Switch starts to tail off before it gets anywhere near PS2 sales numbers.

But while you're boasting about corporate profits and playing Animal Crossing, I'm playing The Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima and Dreams 🤭.

Sony's had a much better year than Nintendo in terms of quality games, that's why so many people are mentioning it on GAF.
Sony profits aren't gonna increase that much since PS5 is sold at loss while Nintendo was selling Nintendo Switch at profit since day 1.

First 4 FY of Nintendo Switch vs PS4.

Nintendo Switch - 10 billion usd profits
Playstation 4 - 2.24 billion usd profits

MagnesG

Banned

Yes PS5 sold at a loss + the development cost of it. Yeah real profit I know.

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony profits aren't gonna increase that much since PS5 is sold at loss while Nintendo was selling Nintendo Switch at profit since day 1.

First 4 FY of Nintendo Switch vs PS4.

Nintendo Switch - 10 billion usd profits
Playstation 4 - 2.24 billion usd profits
Not bad at all for the PS4s swansong year that's given us some of the greatest games of this generation, only let down being Cyberpunk. Meanwhile PS5 is the fastest selling console of all time, which will bring new PSN subscribers, new Playstation Now members, plus new accessories, more expensive games (which we know you like). I'm sure they'll be making plenty so you can update your spreadsheet with PS5 data aswell.

For those of who aren't accountants or interested in games aimed at the younger demographic, it means cutting edge hardware, great third-party support, and a platform-holder receiving yet more nominations as the best publisher.

It's good to see Nintendo doing well, but they've been really lazy on the software front, and the hardware outside of portability is garbage for what they're charging. But with customers like you why change, just keeping rinsing your gamers.

Now I've got games to play, I'm not waiting on anything because there's too much choice on PS4 and PS5!
Yes PS5 sold at a loss + the development cost of it. Yeah real profit I know.
Yep, Nintendo sells old, underpowered hardware for a for a profit, and you suckers lap it up and extol their virtues 😂.

When a company knows that their profit is more important to the customer than the product they receive they know they've got it good💲😎.

Bodomism

Banned
Not bad at all for the PS4s swansong year that's given us some of the greatest games of this generation, only let down being Cyberpunk. Meanwhile PS5 is the fastest selling console of all time, which will bring new PSN subscribers, new Playstation Now members, plus new accessories, more expensive games (which we know you like). I'm sure they'll be making plenty so you can update your spreadsheet with PS5 data aswell.

For those of who aren't accountants or interested in games aimed at the younger demographic, it means cutting edge hardware, great third-party support, and a platform-holder receiving yet more nominations as the best publisher.

It's good to see Nintendo doing well, but they've been really lazy on the software front, and the hardware outside of portability is garbage for what they're charging. But with customers like you why change, just keeping rinsing your gamers.

Now I've got games to play, I'm not waiting on anything because there's too much choice on PS4 and PS5!

Yep, Nintendo sells old, underpowered hardware for a for a profit, and you suckers lap it up and extol their virtues 😂.

When a company knows that their profit is more important to the customer than the product they receive they know they've got it good💲😎.
Amazon France top 10 best selling games of 2020.
1. Animal Crossing NH
2. MK8D
3. SM3DAS
4. Minecraft Switch version
5. 51 worldwide games
6. Age Of Calamity
7. RFA
8. Luigi's Mansion 3
9. NSMBUD
10.TLOU2

Amazon Germany top 10 best selling games of 2020.
1. MK8D
2. Animal Crossing NH
3. Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 version
4. Super Mario Party
5. NSMBUD
6. Just Dance 2021 Switch version
7. Fifa 21 PS4 version
8. SM3DAS
9. Minecraft Switch version
10.BOTW

Amazon Canada top 10 best selling games of 2020.
1. Animal Crossing NH
2. Minecraft Switch version
3. MK8D
4. Just dance 2020 Switch version
5. RFA
6. BOTW
7. TLOU2
8. NSMBUD
9. Luigi's mansion 3
10.Smash Ultimate

Switch has no games but the best sellers are mostly Nintendo Switch games.

MagnesG

Banned

We lap it up even on $60 because the games are good. Simple no need for discounts to convince that.

"When a company knows that their profit is more important to the customer ", that sums up a lot lol. Sony good Ninty bad.

Bodomism

Banned
We lap it up even on $60 because the games are good. Simple no need for discounts to convince that.

"When a company knows that their profit is more important to the customer ", that sums up a lot lol. Sony good Ninty bad.
Sony really cares about their customers and didn't take any predatory MTX money from Fifa, COD, GTA, and etc for the sake of their users well being.

Saruhashi

Banned
Video game storytelling will never be on the level of blockbuster cinema.

Even the best example of video game storytelling is really nothing more than a zombie flick rip off.

I tend to agree with this.

Would much rather see developers focus on the gameplay and find ways to have gameplay that is complemented by a story that kind of makes sense in context.

People are praising the story telling in Cyberpunk for example but if the game is 40 hours for the story and 70 hours for side stories etc then you are basically looking at seven entire seasons of a decent TV show. Made by writers who wouldn't be able to make it in movies or TV or even books.

TLOU2 in my opinion would be a 2 to 3 hour movie and would probably be slaughtered for the appalling writing.
Stretching it right out into a 30 hour experience just makes the storytelling flaws even more noticeable.
At that point you really would be better off picking up a good book or 3 seasons of a decent TV show.

The first The Last of Us is a bit better but again you've got a pretty decent 90 minute indie movie stretched right out into a 20 hour experience.

I think a part of why Nintendo does so well is that games like Mario Kart or all 3 of the 3D All Stars games are not really pretending to be anything other than a fun bit of entertainment. Even Breath of the Wild is just "build yourself up, explore the world and then rescue the princess when you feel like it" this is ideal for a videogame.

Assassin's Creed games suffer badly from this because the story seems to have an urgency that the gameplay doesn't match.
Serious events are going down but you can easily go on a detour for 40 hours and then come back and it's still like "Chapter 4 - Do The Urgent Thing".
The gameplay loop is great but they disconnect it from the story bits almost entirely.

I don't really get the appeal of Animal Crossing but I suppose it's more like a toy or a sandbox or a creative tool and people seem to like that a lot so whatever.

Saruhashi

Banned

I'll never understand why people don't grasp that simple concept.

Nintendo: Here are the games we have. 60 bucks each.
Customer: OK. I'll take... blah blah blah.

In this community though that simple concept of a transaction needs to be analyzed to the Nth degree.

I dunno if it's just insecurity or something?

I don't get that though.
When I picked up my PS5 I was pretty happy with what was on offer.
Demon's Souls looks amazing and is awesome to play.
I still played the hell out of Age of Calamity alongside that.

For some I think there is just an idea that if you aren't playing "serious" games on high-end hardware then somehow that makes you "casual".

Always so salty in these Nintendo sales threads.
It's OK folks Sony exclusives are still amazing games. There's no obligation to take them so seriously though.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

Haha. You talk as though Sony, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft etc are not interested in making a profit.
Like they just want to sell games as cheaply as possible.

Dammit, Cyberpunk 2077 was released in an absolutely terrible state precisely because the people who invest money in these things want to see a profit.

Games going on discount is a sales strategy designed to increase profits.
Look at most games and you will see the pattern.
Most of the units sold digitally or physically come around the launch window.
Once those number start to drop off you will see discounts and publishers look to entice players who were not super keen on the game to begin with.

I don't know why stuff like Mario Kart 8 still sells loads of copies so long after launch.
However I do know that any company would be out of their damn minds to off 75% or 66% off a product that is already selling well.

How many on this site have massive backlogs that they will never finish?
You think that's not totally intentional from the publishers point of view?
"Hey we know you have 4 or 5 games you are already playing and don't have time for anything else but what if we offered Game X for 15 bucks?"
Into the backlog it goes!

Makes no difference really if you play 240 bucks for 4 games you will play for many many hours or if you pay 240 bucks for 12 games and almost never touch 8 of them.

From a developers perspective I'd imagine it's pretty good that devs of a Nintendo game get to see the publisher absolutely back the product all the way.
Imagine working your ass off for Ubisoft and they release your game alongside 3 others and within 3 months it's 66% off on the storefront.
The hardware might be old or underpowered but at least they don't intentionally cheapen their games.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Haha. You talk as though Sony, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft etc are not interested in making a profit.
Like they just want to sell games as cheaply as possible.

Dammit, Cyberpunk 2077 was released in an absolutely terrible state precisely because the people who invest money in these things want to see a profit.

Games going on discount is a sales strategy designed to increase profits.
Look at most games and you will see the pattern.
Most of the units sold digitally or physically come around the launch window.
Once those number start to drop off you will see discounts and publishers look to entice players who were not super keen on the game to begin with.

I don't know why stuff like Mario Kart 8 still sells loads of copies so long after launch.
However I do know that any company would be out of their damn minds to off 75% or 66% off a product that is already selling well.

How many on this site have massive backlogs that they will never finish?
You think that's not totally intentional from the publishers point of view?
"Hey we know you have 4 or 5 games you are already playing and don't have time for anything else but what if we offered Game X for 15 bucks?"
Into the backlog it goes!

Makes no difference really if you play 240 bucks for 4 games you will play for many many hours or if you pay 240 bucks for 12 games and almost never touch 8 of them.

From a developers perspective I'd imagine it's pretty good that devs of a Nintendo game get to see the publisher absolutely back the product all the way.
Imagine working your ass off for Ubisoft and they release your game alongside 3 others and within 3 months it's 66% off on the storefront.
The hardware might be old or underpowered but at least they don't intentionally cheapen their games.

This is my take too. People accuse me of being a Nintendo shill when I point it out, but it's just stating facts. Any company would kill to be in Nintendo's position. The demand for these games is always there because the new customers are attracted to the platform by the games. Its just a never-ending loop for them, but nobody, not even Sony has that luxury.

I bought Immortals Fenyx Rising and Watch Dogs Legion for $80 combined a few weeks ago. These are brand new AAA games that are anchoring Ubi's year and I bought them at massive discount less than 8 weeks after release. It's interesting though, because I know if I want a Nintendo game, it doesn't make any sense to wait. I'll just buy it because it's going to be the same price indefinitely.

Top Bottom