• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Releases Best Sellers of 2020, Top 10 Dominated by Nintendo

Clarissa

Banned
My friend says that Animal Crossing is the only game that sold more than 22m copies in a span of just 5 months. And that no other game can ever come close.
He estimates the sales of Animal Crossing to be around 30 million now. He also bragged that Pokemon Go made 1 Billion usd as of yesterday.

He then talked about the sales figures of PlayStation exclusives and laughed his ass off.

As a Sony fan I got extremely triggered but I can only scream into my pillow.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I'm still trying to find where some guys told me that GoT was selling better than TLOU2 in others threads lol

Bodomism

Banned
My friend says that Animal Crossing is the only game that sold more than 22m copies in a span of just 5 months. And that no other game can ever come close.
He estimates the sales of Animal Crossing to be around 30 million now. He also bragged that Pokemon Go made 1 Billion usd as of yesterday.

He then talked about the sales figures of PlayStation exclusives and laughed his ass off.

As a Sony fan I got extremely triggered but I can only scream into my pillow.
He probably laughed because of Sony barely made any significant profits from those 1st party games as many of those were discounted heavily or given away for free(Holiday bundles) right after the launch date and relied heavily on MTX/DLC from 3rd party games to generate most of PS division profits.

S73v3

Banned
He probably laughed because of Sony barely made any significant profits from those 1st party games as many of those were discounted heavily or given away for free(Holiday bundles) right after the launch date and relied heavily on MTX/DLC from 3rd party games to generate most of PS division profits.
The horror!

Clarissa

Banned

Yeah my friend who is Nintendo Fanboy often talks about how inexpensive Nintendo games are to produce, yet they sell truckloads, whereas PlayStation games are so expensive to develop and developers often have crunch, yet their sales figures pale in comparison to Nintendo games. And today he reminded everyone how Sony is making a loss on each PS5 sold whereas Switch is swimming in profits since Day 1.

As a Sony fan, I'm triggered and I hate what he's saying but I know he's speaking the truth. lol. :messenger_confounded: :messenger_confounded: :messenger_confounded:

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
With regards to DLC/MTX, I remember my friend had something to say about that.

Something to the likes of Nintendo only releasing complete and polished games and therefore don't need any DLCs/MTX. He said that PlayStation games are ridden with DLCs because they are incomplete games.

I got so mad. -_-

KingT731

People defending ports over new games because they make more money for their favorite company.

I think I've seen it all now.
This is something I never understood from a lot of the Nintendo fanbase. Wouldn't you want more variety in general as well as new experiences?

Clarissa

Banned
This is something I never understood from a lot of the Nintendo fanbase. Wouldn't you want more variety in general as well as new experiences?

My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy (and he CAN speak on behalf of THE WORLD'S Nintendo Fanbase) says that it is amazing to have the entire package of Mario games on the Switch, and to be able to play them on the go is nothing short of amazing. He's looking forward to a Zelda collection, Metroid Collection etc all on the Switch to play them all on the go.

He was also implying that the people who complained about the price and limited availability of Super Mario 3D All Stars were probably jealous Sony fans who were concern trolling. He also showed everyone that despite the limited availability and full price of Super Mario 3D All Stars, the game sold more than 5 million in just 12 days and estimates that it's at 8 million or more now.

Lionel Richie Lionel Richie B Bodomism

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
I'm not a console guy, but I remember nintendo fans calling out Sony for "remasters" in 2014-2016 alot too.

Kataploom

Gold Member
AFAIK as I see, no one is "defending" anything, just understanding... i.e.: If Sony could exploit a single franchise as Nintendo exploits Mario, they would with no hessitation, it's just that they can't, they create more AAA IPs because the ones they already have don't last as much as they wish they do.

Probably has something to do with franchise fratigue, Nintendo has one 3D Mario per generation, whereas Sony had 3 Uncharteds on 7th gen. Even Gears of Wars went from system seller to "meh" probably because of the same reason, same happened to Assasins Creed.

Tho, Nintendo just have the formula for creating IPs that sell, not of them sell but when they do, they're a massive hit or sell above average (Splatoon and ARMS come to mind)

Clarissa

Banned
S73v3 S73v3 My friend was one of those who called out Sony for remasters a lot. But when confronted about all the ports on the Switch, he simply said it's amazing to be able to play all the Nintendo games on the go all at one place. He then threw all the sales figures of the Nintendo ports on the Switch esp MK8 Deluxe into our faces and we had nothing to argue with him.

He was challenging all the Sony fans in the chatgroup but we were silent. :messenger_persevering: :messenger_persevering: :messenger_persevering:
He was like Archilles in the movie, Troy.

B Bodomism Lionel Richie Lionel Richie

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
Honestly it's checkmate and Sony has lost

Microsoft will buy every 3rd party publisher and dev, Sony will only have 1st party and those games made in india to play on ps5

Nintendo will start porting more n64 games and get 40 million sales for a bare bones OoT port

No1 will have any money to buy Sony games. Only 4 to 10 million sales won't cut it! :^<, it's over!

Last edited:

KingT731

AFAIK as I see, no one is "defending" anything, just understanding... i.e.: If Sony could exploit a single franchise as Nintendo exploits Mario, they would with no hessitation, it's just that they can't, they create more AAA IPs because the ones they already have don't last as much as they wish they do.

Probably has something to do with franchise fratigue, Nintendo has one 3D Mario per generation, whereas Sony had 3 Uncharteds on 7th gen. Even Gears of Wars went from system seller to "meh" probably because of the same reason, same happened to Assasins Creed.

Tho, Nintendo just have the formula for creating IPs that sell, not of them sell but when they do, they're a massive hit or sell above average (Splatoon and ARMS come to mind)
Thats the thing. If the fanbase doesn't speak up about then that's about as good as defending it on the same coin.

Nintendo literally released a 3 pack of roms for 50 bucks and people flocked to get it...

S73v3

Banned
Thats the thing. If the fanbase doesn't speak up about then that's about as good as defending it on the same coin.

Nintendo literally released a 3 pack of roms for 50 bucks and people flocked to get it...
People flocked to tlou remastered too.

Kataploom

Gold Member

ROMs require emulators, so those are 3 emulators made for 3 different consoles, I don't think that's "cheap" or "easy", nor even "lazy" (there's no "lazy" in business) and can be reused for other old games to come to Switch.

Also, it's not "nintendo fans", Nintendo have a lot of mass appeal, if fans decided somehow not to buy their games on Switch, they'll still have a shitload of casual costumers that don't care if the game is new, re-released, emulated and whatnot to support them anyway. It's not as if Nintendo really had 80 million loyal fans lmao, I guess that's why Wii U was "a total success".

Cornbread78

Is this shtick? You literally start every post you make talking about this "friend".
Oh yeah, well, my friend is a big Ninty Fanboy and tells me that BoTW is the greatest game ever made, but my other friend, who is a XBot, says that Halo 3 is the greatest game ever made, but my Sony Pony friend says that TLoU is the greatest game ever made, but my other friend , who is a PC fanboy says that WoW is the greatest game every and console pleebs should be happy they found a way to make Crysis run on consoles finally, but yet, my ass says, fu(k all of my friends because Clannad is the greatest thing ever created and everyone should have to play White Knight Chronicles and grind for those .000000000001% item drops!

S73v3

Banned
Imagine calling out nintendo for a 3 pack of pretty ok games and then defending a 1.5 pack with shitty mtx

team america vomit GIF

He was also implying that the people who complained about the price and limited availability of Super Mario 3D All Stars were probably jealous Sony fans who were concern trolling. He also showed everyone that despite the limited availability and full price of Super Mario 3D All Stars, the game sold more than 5 million in just 12 days and estimates that it's at 8 million or more now.

So it outsold TLOU 2?

Damn.

gypsygib

Makes you question Sony’s AAA blockbuster games policy. Is it really worth it?
Yes, they make some amazing AAA games for people that like story driven SP. That's always worth it.

If we judged a games quality by the revenue it generates then all of the best games would be on mobile.

S73v3

Banned
I think its more of a case that they can't manufacture a long lasting franchise
Well they seem to have cultivated an audience that will move over to new "experiences"

Honestly I'm relieved Sony changes slates, current Sony doesn't have much for my tastes, but that could change on a whim.

My friend didn't even acknowledge the existence of TLOU 2. He was too busy selling turnips in Animal Crossing. Lol

Never sold a single turnip in AC, fuck waking up in the morning Sunday and turning it on. Ninty shouldn't have locked that behind a morning schedule.

mr.dilya

Banned
AAA for me tends to represent storytelling on the level of blockbuster cinema and I think there is definitely a space for that.

Video game storytelling will never be on the level of blockbuster cinema.

Even the best example of video game storytelling is really nothing more than a zombie flick rip off.

Bodomism

Banned
Super Mario 3D Outsold TLOU 2 and produced way more profit for Nintendo.
Way more profits is still an understatement of the year for that comparison.

TLOU part 2 was made by over 2000 people with over 100 million usd development budget and could possibly well over 200 million usd with the inclusion of marketing budget.

On the other hand, 3D All-stars just an upscaling port of 3 roms that are sold at a full price and the full budget of this game was probably too small to put into company's operating cost.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The whole list should really be thrown out as a comparison vs other consoles as they clearly have a much larger group of people buying digital games. The thread and its numbers are basically worthless.

Clarissa

Banned
Way more profits is still an understatement of the year for that comparison.

TLOU part 2 was made by over 2000 people with over 100 million usd development budget and could possibly well over 200 million usd with the inclusion of marketing budget.

On the other hand, 3D All-stars just an upscaling port of 3 roms that are sold at a full price and the full budget of this game was probably too small to put into company's operating cost.

I'm not sure if you've heard this yet but my friend said that sales of Animal Crossing beat the shit out of TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake and Dreams COMBINED!!!

He was laughing so hard when he told this to us over Christmas dinner last week.

carlosrox

Banned
I'm not sure if you've heard this yet but my friend said that sales of Animal Crossing beat the shit out of TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake and Dreams COMBINED!!!

He was laughing so hard when he told this to us over Christmas dinner last week.

What the hell are you? A bot?

What's wrong with you?

You being held at gunpoint somewhere? Are you somebody's hostage??

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned

Your friend was right about that sales situation

Last know number by official sources
TLOU2 - 4 million units
Ghost of Tsushima - 5 million units
FF7R Remake - 5 million units
Dreams - Flopped so hard

Animal Crossing NH - 26.04 million units

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

true that. People just prefer Animal Crossing over those generic PS4 stuffs.

I wouldn’t be surprise if a bunch of those PS4 players grabbed a copy of those Animal Crossing too

Last edited:

Lethal01

Your friend was right about that sales situation

Last know number by official sources
TLOU2 - 4 million units
Ghost of Tsushima - 5 million units
FF7R Remake - 5 million units
Dreams - Flopped so hard

Animal Crossing NH - 26.04 million units

FF7 Remake being higher than TLOU2 (for now) puts a smile on my face.

It really amuses me seeing simple anime shit like FF7 or even hyrule warriors have characters and plot delivery that's so much better than serious "mature" stuff like Cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU2.

What happened to Dreams was a real shame though

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Once again the forum spin doctor is getting a boner over fellow Nintendo fans having to paying full price for old games, and not getting discounted GOTY editions down the line etc.

But even ignoring the idiocy of this position, Sony's first-party primarily exist to attract gamers to the platform - a strategy that has served them extremely well five generations straight. And the bulk of their big first-party games like Spiderman, GoW and Uncharted were sold full price as pre-orders and standalone copies. You don't actually have any data to support your argument, you just repeat it over and over and post pictures of bundles like it's a bad thing. You're like the most pro anti-consumerist person the forum.

Top Bottom