• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Releases Best Sellers of 2020, Top 10 Dominated by Nintendo

Bragr

Banned
This is by far the leggiest Zelda in the history of the franchise. I think that November 2020 was only the 2nd or 3rd time since launch that it didn't make the NPD's top 20 of the month.
Almost all the major franchises has set franchise records on the Switch, Breath of the Wild is by far the biggest Zelda ever. But Mario Kart's legs is truly something to behold, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are pushing the kind of numbers you only see out of something like GTA and the biggest Call of Duty's.

And Future Perfect is fantastic.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend would like to remind you that Pokemon Go hit 1 Billion dollars in profit in 2020.

He got ignored by my other 2 friends talking about assassins creed though lol. Those plebians!!!

saLOnEU.jpg

Bodomism

Banned
My friend would like to remind you that Pokemon Go hit 1 Billion dollars in profit in 2020.

He got ignored by my other 2 friends talking about assassins creed though lol. Those plebians!!!

saLOnEU.jpg
Please deliver this news to him

4828a766.jpg

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There evergreens have done well but their release schedule has been poor, even in terms of sales.

Animal Crossing has done incredibly well but it'll be the only game Nintendo released this year to cross 10 million (probably).

Every other year of Switch Nintendo has released three 10 million sellers at least.

If only 10 million games count then every other platforms must be in a severe drought in the past few years.

Clarissa

Banned
Please deliver this news to him

4828a766.jpg
Let me share it with him. He'll be very happy to know that Sony's fate grand order is making less profits now.

Woopah

If only 10 million games count then every other platforms must be in a severe drought in the past few years.
I was just using that as a general example to show how the lineup from Nintendo this year was weaker than previous ones. Outside of Japan, the other consoles receive very strong third party titles on a fairly regular basis.

Makes you question Sony’s AAA blockbuster games policy. Is it really worth it?
Comparing the Switch's peak year with PS4's swansong one, especially with so many people being stuck at home with kids that need to be kept entertained, is hardly a straightforward comparison. Using it as evidence that Playstation's stratergy, that has seen them create 4 out of the 5 best selling consoles ever, and record profits with the PS4, is just stupid.

Ultimately the two platforms cater to slightly different audiences, both make a shedload of cash from their different approaches, and while Nintendo has to rely entirely on it's first party output, Playstation uses it's own games first and foremost as advertisements to get people who will buy third party games in their ecosystem.

The entire gaming industry is stronger for having two such brilliant players in it, and none of us should want one to start trying (and inevitably failing) to copy the other.

Comparing the Switch's peak year with PS4's swansong one, especially with so many people being stuck at home with kids that need to be kept entertained, is hardly a straightforward comparison. Using it as evidence that Playstation's stratergy, that has seen them create 4 out of the 5 best selling consoles ever, and record profits with the PS4, is just stupid.

Ultimately the two platforms cater to slightly different audiences, both make a shedload of cash from their different approaches, and while Nintendo has to rely entirely on it's first party output, Playstation uses it's own games first and foremost as advertisements to get people who will buy third party games in their ecosystem.

The entire gaming industry is stronger for having two such brilliant players in it, and none of us should want one to start trying (and inevitably failing) to copy the other.
I know but the effort that is needed to create these Sony candies, blood, sweat and tears that goes into them, years and years of 10h work etc while Ninty over there creates stuff that could be run on your home calculator. And then sells 2*, 3* as much. It’s not fair and I just wonder is it worth it.

Nezzeroth

Tencent/Epic have this thing called Fortnite ...
That's a single game, I said consistently. Microsoft also has Minecraft. That doesn't mean they have multiple successful franchises for that market the way Nintendo does. In that market either you become hugely succesful or your fail miserably. Nintendo is the only publisher able to have multiple franchises for that market and be hugely successful. Every other big publisher focuses on a different audience, and for good reason.

Woopah

Sony and Nintendo have different strategies and both are doing very very well. It's good for the industry that many different types of games are doing well, both established franchises and newer ones

TheContact

i almost hate that the switch / games are so selling so well because nintendo just going to look at that and be like "yeah we don't need to release a switch pro or anything any time soon"

isoRhythm

Banned
That's amazing! I'm sure they'll effectively use that money for better software output and more reliable hardware and not give an extra dime to the legal department :messenger_grinning:

Woman7

Banned
I know but the effort that is needed to create these Sony candies, blood, sweat and tears that goes into them, years and years of 10h work etc while Ninty over there creates stuff that could be run on your home calculator. And then sells 2*, 3* as much. It’s not fair and I just wonder is it worth it.

Sony isn't able to produce a Mario Kart 8. That's god tier stuff. They just aren't there on that level to produce something that brilliant with such mass appeal and accesibility.

MagnesG

Banned
There evergreens have done well but their release schedule has been poor, even in terms of sales.

Animal Crossing has done incredibly well but it'll be the only game Nintendo released this year to cross 10 million (probably).

Every other year of Switch Nintendo has released three 10 million sellers at least.
Animal Crossing would cross 30 million this holiday already, it does balances out lol.

Around 3-4 AA 2-5 millions seller
Mario All Stars 8 million minimum
Evergreen like Mario Kart 8 selling more this year compared to 2019 (?!)

Pretty healthy software sales imo, just not what we want I guess.

And this is why Nintendo continues to suck at software output consistency...
Why put out more games? Especially when you can make the same 5 games every console generation and people lap it up.
So glad I have a PlayStation, and I am not bound to waiting an eternity for the next Mario or Zelda or even longer for Metroid.
Nailing good game design for every Mario release is much much harder than just creating pretty assets for TLoU + its crappy ai partner.

Why does having great games capable of running on a home calculator a terrible thing?

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
Eh, Sony's IP is often refreshed completely, it's a nice difference.

There is room in the gaming space for Nintendo's approach and Sony's

To me, both companies are hit and miss.
Both have their failures and triumphs.

Sony and Nintendo have their audiences.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
But Sony wants that realistic violent kill audience for sweet m/t and ps+ money, and so they have to make games for those people. It works, at least so far.

except for old people nostalga-ing GT, those games sell zero ps+ subs and mts. Fun sure, but not core business.

What MTs? You keep repeating that but Nintendo games have way more MTX, they even have seasons passes and everything for all their games.

Spider-man had DLC and Horizon too but it was integrated in Goty edition that you can get on sale at 10$/20$. I can't even think of a season pass for the rest? Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima were all free, GOW and TLOU2 didn't get any.

Maybe do your research before spewing bs next time.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
$1 billion revenue from a less than $100m cost game is worth?
$400 million revenue from a less than $50 million cost game is worth?

I mean crazy are these that are not doing what Sony is doing.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
$1 billion revenue from a less than $100m cost game is worth?
$400 million revenue from a less than $50 million cost game is worth?

I mean crazy are these that are not doing what Sony is doing.
Nintendo made more profits with every game they sold to customers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony's strategy is to brute force to more sales by create highly realistic games to appeal to the hardcore tech geek gamers.
Nintendo's strategy is to create fun games to appeal to gamers who just want fun and nothing else.

ethomaz

Banned
Nintendo made more profits with every game they sold to customers.
The is good.
Doesn’t make what Sony does not worth because it made a hell of profit with every game they sold to consumers too.

Like I said it crazy not do what Sony does... it is like throwing money on trash.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sony's strategy is to brute force to more sales by create highly realistic games to appeal to the hardcore tech geek gamers.
Nintendo's strategy is to create fun games to appeal to gamers who just want fun and nothing else.
Sony strategy is based in new IP innovations.
Nintendo strategy is based in the same 20-30 years old franchises with the same mechanics.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Makes you question why some cant comprehend that most Ps4 and ps5 sony game sales are digital and not reflected in Amazon.

Is Switch mainly digital sales like Sony platforms ?

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Makes you question why some cant comprehend that most Ps4 and ps5 sony game sales are digital and not reflected in Amazon.

Is Switch mainly digital sales like Sony platforms ?
Last 2 quarters of digital sales for packaged games = 63.6% of total sales

Woopah

Animal Crossing would cross 30 million this holiday already, it does balances out lol.

Around 3-4 AA 2-5 millions seller
Mario All Stars 8 million minimum
Evergreen like Mario Kart 8 selling more this year compared to 2019 (?!)

Pretty healthy software sales imo, just not what we want I guess.

Nailing good game design for every Mario release is much much harder than just creating pretty assets for TLoU + its crappy ai partner.

Why does having great games capable of running on a home calculator a terrible thing?
Oh yes overall the software sales are very strong, but a lot of that is based on their strong releases in prior years. Animal Crossing has really saved their year as outside of that the quality and sales potential of their release schedule has been quite poor by Nintendo standards.

Top Bottom