• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon MMO New World Gets Release Date.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When Amazon announced it was making an MMORPG, people were obviously surprised. Now the project, titled New World, has a release date, as the listing on Amazon.com states the game will be available on May 26th, 2020. There are also two different editions, a standard and a deluxe, both of which are available for pre-order.

The Standard Edition of New World, marketed at $39.99, will include just the base game. Amazon's latest venture into the world of gaming promises to bring players an interesting mix of competitive and cooperative gameplay as players vie for control of a dangerous region which is overrun by the forces of the Corrupted.

The Deluxe Edition is priced at $49.99, and for just ten dollars more brings the woodsman armor skin, woodsman boarding axe skin, mastiff house pet, Rock/Paper/Scissors emote set, and the New World digital art book, all of which is most likely all cosmetic bonuses, but a good amount for the price.

Pre-ordering the game before its new release date of May 26th will offer players a guaranteed slot in the game's closed beta alongside the Isabella’s amulet item, the Fist Bump emote, a guild crest set, and the “Expedition One” unique title. Of note, Isabella's amulet may actually be more than just a cosmetic item, but fans will have to wait until May 26th to know for certain.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
A bunch of my buddies are planning to get this. They literally bought PCs for this game.

I watched some videos and already play on PC...but I'm not grasping the hype really.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks interesting. Will definitely give a try once it's launched.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
So they're going up against Cyberpunk now? I don't get it.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Just caught on with the delay to this until August, then got lost in the dev diaries. I wish every dev did these

CloudNull

Banned
Played in the closed beta a year ago. Game ran like butter on a 750TI which is saying something for a closed beta. I loved the original game but they went offline to do tons a reworks with their systems. I was sad but all the new Dev Diary's are increasing my hype.

I will say I have never had so much fun being a lumberjack in any video game. The audio was incredible. I ran around chopping down trees for hours.

D.Final

Banned
Played in the closed beta a year ago. Game ran like butter on a 750TI which is saying something for a closed beta. I loved the original game but they went offline to do tons a reworks with their systems. I was sad but all the new Dev Diary's are increasing my hype.

I will say I have never had so much fun being a lumberjack in any video game. The audio was incredible. I ran around chopping down trees for hours.

Great

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I love reading about MMOs in development. I am glass half full on this one - it appears they have really taken the time needed to make it playable at release. I will give it a try.

Rikoi

They delayed it, and that's good for them.
They were not ready to launch this in the current state since they scrapped the sandbox part in favor of creating a themepark mmo.
It would have been another failure for Amazon games, I am sure that the Crucible situation made them think about it.
They better take their time to create some interesting PvE content.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Why were they even chasing the MMO "craze"? Companies stopped chasing this like 10 years ago. The time to strike was about 15 years ago. I don't think Amazon got the memo lol

Great Hair

Banned
Are they maybe considering a ngen port? What if one of the big players wants to have it exclusively for their console? and they´re gonna use the extra 9 month to port it over?

Strange. Every preview about this, was extremely positive. Every youtuber was pushing "how great it is!" ....

They aren’t even trying to create good games they’re just trying to place a bet on safe choices and create something like Fort/R6S/Pub and etc etc that’ll sell mtx

I hate it out here

Ozzie666

As people move towards experiences like the Switch, Division, Destiny. A traditional MMO seems suicidal. Gamer attention span and free time is not what it used to be, outside a pandemic. Established MMO's do okay, but new ones traditionally flop, like Rift, War Hammer, Conan etc.

Rikoi

Many reasons lead to the failure of new MMOs, and they can hardly be fixed.
They are not a new thing anymore, we got so many copy-paste MMOs that the MMO audience got bored of it and the biggest ones are retaining all the potential customers already.

Trying to create a profitable MMO instead of a beautiful MMO is a mistake. Creating an MMO is very expensive and the development time is huge, however a good MMO can give endless profits for decades, that's why developers still try to chase this market. The thing is, customers want a top notch MMO that's worth playing for years, it has to bring something new to the table, and nobody is going to stick to the usual cash grab that they try to create every single time.

An MMO needs to have a huge population and needs to retain it, so they need to put enough content into the game that is not boring after you played it a couple times.
Create FUN content before you create a cash shop, not the other way around, there won't be any people left to buy from your cash grab shop if you don't care about putting meaningful content into the game.
Also have a good graphics, animations, netcode, battle system.

Basically either have a huge budget and talented people or don't even try.

shoplifter

Watched about 45m of a streamer playing it today. Hard to judge, but it *looked* pretty polished and reminded me a lot of GW2.

CloudNull

Banned
How long is the preview live? I might preorder just to get access.

Edit: Found it. Live until the 5th.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m interested to see what happens with this game. If Amazon wanted to get into the video games market in any meaningful way, it would disrupt the entire landscape. If this is good and successful, it might make them think its worthwhile.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I’m interested to see what happens with this game. If Amazon wanted to get into the video games market in any meaningful way, it would disrupt the entire landscape. If this is good and successful, it might make them think its worthwhile.

The hero shooter/MOBA they published and released for free was terrible. I don't have high hopes for New World.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The hero shooter/MOBA they published and released for free was terrible. I don't have high hopes for New World.

Yes... Amazon do have a habit of half arsing stuff and hoping they get some traction to actually focus on it properly. When they decide to go all in they’re very successful (ebooks, audiobooks, web hosting etc.) but when they’re only half interested, they tend to phone it in (Amazon mobile, Amazon Video). Very frustrating. They have the power, money and platform to create a whole new console, and grab the best developers, but don’t seem to care enough. I’d live to see them support indie game developers the same way they have indie authors, but so far no dice.

VN1X

Banned
It looks really good but we'll have to see how many players it retained a month from now. As long as they can keep the content coming I'll jump on board soon enough I reckon.

Though I always have to laugh when watching a random stream and some people in chat go "what's the endgame like?" after watching 30 mins of gameplay.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I still don't get why they call it a mmorpg. Looks like it has more in common with Conan exiles than with games like world of Warcraft.

CloudNull

Banned
Two different studios.

This “release” is a preview. The reason they postponed release is to add end game content. This is marketing to show the foundation is solid. The Endgame is obviously lacking.

what I’m excited about is the AWS servers and their pvp. If they can bail the hit registration this pvp could be wild.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This game looks pretty decent! I have been curious about this game since it was announced.

Does anyone know if it has gamepad support?

Top Bottom