• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon has reportedly canceled its Lord of the Rings MMO

reinking

Gold Member
MS have sunk billions and two decades going from understanding the market better than anyone, to trying to force the market in to accepting something it does not want.
MS did learn their lessons along the way. Thank goodness because there was a period of time it was uncertain they would continue to make consoles. However, they have definitely tried to force the market into accepting something it does not want. Remember what they Xbox One launch controversy was all about? They are also currently trying to force the market toward a subscription model and buying studios to do it.

Are Amazon confident enough that they will get it right first time like Microsoft, not make mistakes and not spend Three generations at the bottom?
Amazon has enough money that they can make that decision. If they decide to do it I hope they go all in. Trying to get there by half way committing will do nothing for the industry or them.

What could Amazon offer that Microsoft Sony or Nintendo don't?
Amazon can bring competition to exactly what MS is trying to bring to the market. Subscription and streaming. Even Phil thinks so remember? It was posted above "...we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward.”

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
MS did learn their lessons along the way. Thank goodness because there was a period of time it was uncertain they would continue to make consoles. However, they have definitely tried to force the market into accepting something it does not want. Remember what they Xbox One launch controversy was all about? They are also currently trying to force the market toward a subscription model and buying studios to do it.

It's yet to be seen if they've learned their lesson, so far the signs aren't great, but it's nothing they can't recover from, if.
Amazon has enough money that they can make that decision. If they decide to do it I hope they go all in. Trying to get there by half way committing will do nothing for the industry or them.

Amazon can bring competition to exactly what MS is trying to bring to the market. Subscription and streaming. Even Phil thinks so remember? It was posted above "...we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward.”
The only way to enter the console market is with a console, at best it would be a 2023 launch and it would have to be with a company that could provide the hardware. That limits their options. Another option is streaming, but good luck trying to make your average fan play online, while streaming vs owning a local console.

Amazon and Google are competitors of Microsoft and agree with that and their direction, I feel they're neglecting their main advantage over Amazon and Google; Hardware in the living room. But if they lose that, then their hail Mary before Amazon buy xbox is to put GP on PlayStation, which is more in line with Microsoft's strategy vs Xbox's

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Well I am still pretty interested in the Lost Ark western release, hope Amazon don't fumble on this one either.. Gotta confess really intrigued by this busty Korean diablo like game...

Sidesalad

Amazon and Google: "Hey guys, let's make a game. Just fire up the servers and turn on the machine learning algorithms. How hard could it be?"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can't visual overhaul that game. You'll need a Blue-Point Esque remake.

Eh, it's not a terrible looking game for an MMORPG from 2007. I liked the look of it at the time. I think even just updating the character models could go a long way. With that said, it was getting a bit long in the tooth when I last tried it like 6 years ago.

Algan

Pray for the New World.

pray-375945.gif

oh, look, another Amazon game that has shit the bed. how many is that now?

they just can't break into video games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: apparently they have "new world" still in development. it's only a matter of time before that's scrapped.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not that easy to start a video game division...

ring-4612457-1280.jpg

Amazon.com Inc.’s embattled video game division has canceled an online role-playing game based on the fantasy series Lord of the Rings, which was announced in 2019, in another setback for the technology giant.

The game had been in development at Amazon Game Studios alongside the China-based Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd., which was purchased by conglomerate Tencent Holdings Ltd. in December.
The resulting contract negotiations led to a dispute between Amazon and Tencent that eventually caused the game’s cancellation, said people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly about the issue.

An Amazon spokesperson confirmed that after Tencent’s acquisition of Leyou, “we have been unable to secure terms to proceed with this title at this time.”
The Amazon team working on the game will be moved to other projects:
“We love the Lord of the Rings IP, and are disappointed that we won’t be bringing this game to customers,” the spokesperson for the Seattle-based company said in a statement.

The cancellation follows a string of bad news for Amazon Game Studios, which has been unable to release a successful video game since launching in 2014.
The company has canceled previous announced games Breakaway and Crucible. Another of its games, New World, has been delayed repeatedly.

unknown.png

On one hand I fear what the designers would have done with it, one the other hand it is a massive loss as if TES:O was saved and thrives now well… LotR had more than enough lore to last for a lot lot longer years. Imagine such an MMO taking XSX and PS5 specs as a baseline.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Meanwhile the existing LotR MMO works on a visual overhaul and console versions of its existing game for 2022. They're going to cash in on spinoff effects from the TV-series, laughing all the way to the bank.

Lotro has aged badly. Its not just the graphics. The combat is insanely clunky for no reason.
New World will save them. Game is shaping up well and the new weapons look amazing.
I highly doubt it. NW looks very generic and seems to have really bland combat.

The only reason there's so big hype about it is because it's the only real bug mmo coming up and people are hungry for something

CloudNull

Banned
Lotro has aged badly. Its not just the graphics. The combat is insanely clunky for no reason.

I highly doubt it. NW looks very generic and seems to have really bland combat.

The only reason there's so big hype about it is because it's the only real bug mmo coming up and people are hungry for something
To each their own. I have played New World many time throughout the years and the combat has always been the best combat in any mmo. It has only gotten better as they retooled it after feedback.

I am interested to see how it’s going to work during dungeons and end game raids. Also, they have to have their backend on point for the pvp to work since there is no tab targeting. Hard to do 50v50 battles without lag.

The_Mike

To each their own. I have played New World many time throughout the years and the combat has always been the best combat in any mmo. It has only gotten better as they retooled it after feedback.

I am interested to see how it’s going to work during dungeons and end game raids. Also, they have to have their backend on point for the pvp to work since there is no tab targeting. Hard to do 50v50 battles without lag.
Well, I haven't personally tried it, but I'm biased in regards that I enjoy classic mmo controls.

Isn't it more or less eso with better animation?

CloudNull

Banned
Well, I haven't personally tried it, but I'm biased in regards that I enjoy classic mmo controls.

Isn't it more or less eso with better animation?
Give it a try when you can. The developers truly care about the game and have done a great job listening to the community.

It’s a little different than eso. I say it’s Dark Souls combat in an MMO. Your stamina bar is the biggest factor in the combos you can pull off before being gassed. Also, move sets are all dependent on the type of weapons equipped. It makes for fun pvp because your tactics change depending on what the player is equipped with. Classes don’t exist.

I will agree that it looks blandish in video but it’s one of those games that needs to be played. Also if you don’t like Dark Souls combat don’t write the game off. The crafting is super fun although I haven’t been invited in to an alpha since they just did the recent overhaul.

iHaunter

With the competition out of the way and the only game in town, they don't even need to do anything to make money.
With a 2022 release, I'm expecting Daybreak to show it off this summer.
It came out at an awkward time for me, my computer wasn't good enough to play it so I never did. When I was old enough to get better parts it was too old.

The_Mike

Give it a try when you can. The developers truly care about the game and have done a great job listening to the community.

It’s a little different than eso. I say it’s Dark Souls combat in an MMO. Your stamina bar is the biggest factor in the combos you can pull off before being gassed. Also, move sets are all dependent on the type of weapons equipped. It makes for fun pvp because your tactics change depending on what the player is equipped with. Classes don’t exist.

I will agree that it looks blandish in video but it’s one of those games that needs to be played. Also if you don’t like Dark Souls combat don’t write the game off. The crafting is super fun although I haven’t been invited in to an alpha since they just did the recent overhaul.
Meh. Your description sadly didn't change my view of the game at all.

I hope the game will be a success and people would enjoy it, but it's just not for me.

Seems like d2r is the rpg ill be playing the next decade or so then.

Holammer

It came out at an awkward time for me, my computer wasn't good enough to play it so I never did. When I was old enough to get better parts it was too old.
Just looked at some old screenshots of the game. This view of with Weathertop *was* breathtaking back in 2007. If the visual overhaul can bring it to modern standards I might play it again.

gJKDQyx.jpg

Holy crap, look at the insaaane amount of foilage, I think I'm gonna CUUUUUM!

iHaunter

Just looked at some old screenshots of the game. This view of with Weathertop *was* breathtaking back in 2007. If the visual overhaul can bring it to modern standards I might play it again.

gJKDQyx.jpg

Holy crap, look at the insaaane amount of foilage, I think I'm gonna CUUUUUM!
If they do a Demon's Souls Esque remake, I'll give it a try.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Shame.

The last MMO I played was the original Guild Wars way back in 05 and 06. Was looking forward to this one as a way to get back into a MMO.

Based on what we have seen so far with the LOTR show on Amazon this might be a blessing in disguise.

I mean Amazon did fire the entire writing staff and their Tolkien expert.

And again Big Tech proves they just don’t understand video games. It’s amazing how out of touch with the industry these companies can be. I guess it’s bound to happen when you go into the business for money and not because you care about gaming as a medium and art form.

ANIMAL1975

Lol these necrobumps are a waste of time, when threads are about games we come expecting some relevant information and nada zip, not even a fck clever sarcastic response to an old post and some crow eating.

anthony2690

Banned
Based on what we have seen so far with the LOTR show on Amazon this might be a blessing in disguise.

I mean Amazon did fire the entire writing staff and their Tolkien expert.
Really? That sounds pretty insane and what's been shown off the show? I've not really been following

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a Bloomberg report at the time, the game’s cancelation was the result of a dispute between Amazon and Chinese tech giant Tencent, which acquired Leyou in December 2020.

Speaking in a new GameSpot interview, Amazon Games president Christoph Hartmann revealed that Lord of the Rings license holder Middle-earth Enterprises chose to exercise a clause in its contract allowing it to terminate its rights deal should one of its partners get acquired.

After this happened, Hartmann said things got “very complicated”. And while Amazon explored ways to continue working on the project with Tencent, it ended up walking away after failing to make headway in negotiations.

“The question was, sure, maybe could have worked together with Tencent to do something, but I think we’re too big as companies to really turn into partners doing a property together where they own the license and we develop the game,” Hartmann said.

“So we decided it’s better to not work together there. Then we tried to figure something out with both ends, but I think it just dragged on too long.”

The cancelled Lord of the Rings game was originally announced in 2018 by Athlon and Middle-earth Enterprises.

Athlon said at the time that it was working with a “partner developer” to create an online game set “long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe”.

In addition to co-developing the title, Amazon Games was set to market and publish the game globally except for China, which would have been managed by Leyou.

Top Bottom