• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon game 'Crucible' cancelled in final dev update, devs moving project to MMO

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.playcrucible.com/en-us/news/articles/final-crucible-developer-update

....our next step was to evaluate the feedback we’ve heard from you, paired with the data we’ve collected, to determine our path forward.

That evaluation led us to a difficult decision: we’ll be discontinuing development on Crucible. We very much appreciate the way that our fans have rallied around our efforts, and we’ve loved seeing your responses to the changes we’ve made over the last few months, but ultimately we didn’t see a healthy, sustainable future ahead of Crucible. We’ll be transitioning our team to focus on New World and other upcoming projects from Amazon Games.

I'd say this is a failure of trying to chase the battle royale genre. HyperScape is also doing poorly and CoD could only really compete as the huge numbers it pulls in. Hopefully no more of this shit.

McCheese

Amazon can afford to learn these lessons the hard way, but it's a shame as clearly s lot of effort went into the game.

From an gaming historian point of view how do you even capture stuff like this? The game was only out a few months and can't be played offline.

ZehDon

Have we ever had a game released, un-released, and then cancelled before?

Last edited:
Something amazon will have to learn is you can't suddenly show up to the party and expect to overtake a genre through sheer money. Game development can easily become a pit and there is no way to buy your way to the top. Look at fortnite, the game became an overnight success because it took a small window of opportunity and put the thread through the needle at the perfect moment. Turns out people wanted Battlegrounds with personality, so how did the industry respond? Apex Legends aka battlegrounds with personality but it was too late and now it's only going to enjoy some mild success relative to Fortnite.

Unless they are innovating something fierce, they are going to get burned repeatedly trying to enter the multiplayer scene by chasing old trends. Seems like it would make more sense to use that money to fund passion projects that devs and people in the gaming community want before they completely turn their name into joke in the gaming world. Good luck getting massive amounts of people invested in your mmo when you show you have no problems killing your projects btw. Nothing helps me sleep at night like knowing I could lose all my investment overnight because some executive isn't making as much money from this gravy train as he thought he would.

LordCBH

This is why I think too many publishers are green lighting multiplayer games. The game would’ve had a shot had the market not been over saturated. Like unless you have a world changing game, you’re throwing money away by funding it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Never heard of this game didnt amazon released a failed MMO recently? I dont get it what even is this?

SegaShack

Amazon can afford to learn these lessons the hard way, but it's a shame as clearly s lot of effort went into the game.

From an gaming historian point of view how do you even capture stuff like this? The game was only out a few months and can't be played offline.
You can only keep assets that were installed locally to preserve.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Have we ever had a game released, un-released, and then cancelled before?
The Culling, kinda? But that was more several revisions and variations of the game with different names being released and pulled in quick succession.

The Culling 1 was released in 2016 and did decently. Then the Culling 2 was released in July 2018 and it bombed so bad that it was shut down less than 10 days later. Then the developers moved on to creating a free-to-play overhaul of the first game, which also bombed (even though not as bad or as fast) and was also pulled in short order. Then they re-remade the first game again with an even more retarded business model, and I think now it's dead forever.

In theory they are 4 different games, but in practice from my understanding they were more rebranding of a continuous development project, so in a sense you could say the kept on releasing and unreleasing it for the past 2 years until they just gave up.

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
That is what you get when you subcontract alot of the development to people who dont understand gaming.

If amazon is really serious about entering the gaming industry they should start building/buying studios and giving them time.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The moral of the story is that making large successful games is hard even for one of the richest companies on the planet.

I am not hopeful for Lost World with this type of response though.

Top Bottom