• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Eyes 'Warhammer 40,000' Series With Henry Cavill Set to Star

BabyYoda

Banned
Er... no they're not! The Adeptus Sororitas are all warrior monk women and the Adeptus Astartes are all big fucking dudes.

The biggest issue they are actually going to run into is the way religion is depicted. The Imperium Of Man is an ultra religious authoritarian, fascist state, whose iconography is directly lifted from the Catholic Christian tradition. The Emperor himself was a staunch atheist, and the great irony of the whole damn thing is that he is now treated as a god. He would have fucking hated it.

The whole thing is a parody of Christianity. God botherers are going to be extremely pissed off by this, if they make it right.
I'm a Christian and I love this ip, maybe some will be triggered by it, but I don't mind that it draws some things from ancient Roman Catholic zealotry. That was after all, not the Christianity that's practiced by anyone nowadays and it never had anything to do with true Christianity anyway. If you want proof, look at Jesus' life and teachings to see His intentions and how an empire hijacked it.

I guess the parallel I would draw is this, the followers of both movements leaders (Jesus and the emperor) did a poor job of carrying out said leaders wishes, that's often the case though!

I think you're moreso projecting your own prejudice in your interpretation tbh.

I'm happy a fellow Jersey-man is representing us so well and is taking the reigns of something I like a whole lot more than Superman and The Witcher.

Henry's a class act, the way he treated my friend with learning difficulties already convinced me of that though. I kinda feel bad that I got him to autograph a pic of Christopher Reeve as a superman now...

old-parts

Unless Henry or whoever is the main backer of this has private financing and can choose the writers/directors then Amazon video is going to remake WH40K the way it wants.

US TV has a terrible track record when it comes to adapting UK TV shows because the culture and values are lost in translation, they are not at all similar despite the geo-political relationship which is why the mistake is repeated so often and mostly things like game/talent shows actually cross over (yes there are rare exceptions were it works but the office mutated into something very different from original).

WH40K is a dark twist on Tolkien's work, Amazon fundamentally didn't even understand Tolkien and produced an Americanised version of a British story, much like the prior terrible US adaptions of UK TV shows. They are now doubling down on the all of the same mistakes they made out of spite towards the backlash against Rings of Power.

There is a very high risk WH40K will share the same fate unless there is someone in this project with the means to tell Amazon video no and choose its own production team.

Top Bottom