• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Technology | Fishing Using Coca Cola + Mentos + Eggs

DESTROYA

If I had to guess these type of catfish breath air and the mentos and coke make the water fizzy and it bothers them.
Have no idea what the egg is for but to maybe use it as bait.

PSYGN

My girlfriend said that they dig holes before the flood and when that subsides these fish/eel? get caught in them and they use the coke to fish them out. Sounds plausible but she may be pulling my leg, lol.

StormCell

If I had to guess these type of catfish breath air and the mentos and coke make the water fizzy and it bothers them.
Have no idea what the egg is for but to maybe use it as bait.

Exactly right. I watched a few of these types of videos yesterday, including one that attempts to explain how it works. The best I can put together from this is that the coke and the mentos have a chemical reaction that actually consumes the oxygen out of the water. As the oxygen drops down in the hole, the fish seek to come out where they can gulp air and get oxygen. These type of fish can breath water as well as air.

My girlfriend said that they dig holes before the flood and when that subsides these fish/eel? get caught in them and they use the coke to fish them out. Sounds plausible but she may be pulling my leg, lol.

Yeah, this sounds plausible. I've also seen videos where these fish are actually digging holes to go down into as the water starts to subside. Many types of catfish do this. I'd be interested to see someone in the US try this in a flood zone where there are lots of catfish. You could probably get a cat fish trying this method.

Or at worst... you may end up with a snake coming after you!

Last edited:
- Digs hole
- fills with water
- puts fish in hole
- Spends birthday money on soda, candy, eggs
- Wrestles fish on front lawn
- monetizes video

Nature uses Covid-19 - It wasnt very effective.

It was only a matter of time with the popularity of animal videos before people start staging them in shitty situations to make money.

Exactly right. I watched a few of these types of videos yesterday, including one that attempts to explain how it works. The best I can put together from this is that the coke and the mentos have a chemical reaction that actually consumes the oxygen out of the water. As the oxygen drops down in the hole, the fish seek to come out where they can gulp air and get oxygen. These type of fish can breath water as well as air.

Yeah, this sounds plausible. I've also seen videos where these fish are actually digging holes to go down into as the water starts to subside. Many types of catfish do this. I'd be interested to see someone in the US try this in a flood zone where there are lots of catfish. You could probably get a cat fish trying this method.

Or at worst... you may end up with a snake coming after you!

It also produces carbonic acid which chemically burns the fish.

Top Bottom