• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Spider-Man Sequel News: Shailene Woodley up for MJ, Villain is Electro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Same here. A nice action packed opening sequence with Electro. Also not feeling Woodley as MJ. Jane Levy is my choice for MJ.
KexrSm.jpg

YES! That girl in the OP looks too basic to be MJ.

Xzeon

Banned
so we get Gwen for 1 movie and that was it?

let her at least have a couple movies where shes the main love interest instead of immediately trying to get rid of her or make her compete with MJ.

this is dumb.

Xenon

Faye Reagan should be MJ.
AwOwR.jpg

She reminds of the dude who tended bar in Angel. So, pass.

I agree with those saying stick with Gwen. But, I'm fine with Electro or anyone else they want to throw in, as long as part 2 focuses on Spiderman taking them down. I don't want to sit through the cheesy origin story of another villain and watch Spidey take beat him in the last ten minutes of the movie. The formula has gotten so stale.

Dabanton

I feel there is more to consider when casting actors than them looking like a character..

If we listened to the internets advice you'd never have had 'out there' casting choices like Heath Ledger being the Joker.

Kusagari

I don't know why people are even complaining.

I haven't seen Descendants but she's got to be better than Dunst. All I really expected and hoped for.

Electro won't say the line "Looks like you're a born LOOOSSSEEERRR..." as he flies away on a bolt of electricity in this movie so it's already a step down.

Platy

Electro in a 3D movie with websling ?

Yay for convulsions ! xD

Electro ? that Villain is LAME !! why not Shocker ?

Ouch xD

But I would love to see villains like shocker being used ... just to say that there are people with "powers" who didn't won the "awesome power" lotery

Electro in a 3D movie with websling ?

Yay for convulsions ! xD

Ouch xD

But I would love to see villains like shocker being used ... just to say that there are people with "powers" who didn't won the "awesome power" lotery

I just want Shocker to be a cameo where he gets beat down in 3 minutes ala the Ultimate Universe.

"stop pretending it's bad" and "it's underrated" are two of the more empty common counter-criticisms nowadays. the first presumes that the other person is unsure of their opinion or is putting on airs, the second says that by default this film has a floor under which it cannot be rated. both illogical, both don't actually mean anything.

TASM had shoddily written characters (particularly when it came to the one-note lizard), a poorly developed narrative that stumbled over simple ideas of cause and effect, a screwed up sense of scale (spidey saves maybe 10 people before the final conflict but it already a legend), and boring fight sequences with very few novel action elements (only one off the top of my head is the sonar-ish web).

To decide whether it's good or bad is all a matter of opinion, I'll admit, but I haven't heard any criticisms that make it anywhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. You had a problem with Lizard? Guess we should write it off as worst movie of the year. It's hard to deny that the movie didn't do a couple things right.

pulga

Banned
Someone post the Deborah Ann Woll lingerie gif from True Blood and prepare to get massive erections.

Takuan

A new challenger enters the ring. Deborah Ann Woll from True Blood

draft_lens14718151module131463581photo_1290201551deborah-ann-woll.jpg

chick in the OP would be great and I'm looking forward to the film

While she is one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid my eyes on AND a natural (?) redhead, I just don't see MJ in her.

I don't have a problem with the actress they chose, although I'm unfamiliar with her work. She looks a bit like Portman in that picture.

big ander

To decide whether it's good or bad is all a matter of opinion, I'll admit, but I haven't heard any criticisms that make it anywhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. You had a problem with Lizard? Guess we should write it off as worst movie of the year. It's hard to deny that the movie didn't do a couple things right.

I put criticisms in the post you quoted that sum up to "everything was bad except the chemistry between stone and garfield". I have no problem calling tasm one of the worst of the year because it truly is to me. down there with Contraband and maybe the campaign

She's pretty hot and, based on the Descendants, she can actually act so she's definitely a step up from Dunst. It would be cool to see she and Stone play off of each other.

Electro is a pretty shallow villain, so I'd hope for either a dual threat or him being some sort of lackey.

Good lead cast, horrible script and film. I don't think the second will be any different. I'll catch it on DVD to see more of Peter and Gwen.

Spinluck

Put me in the camp that really loved Amazing Spiderman.

Fuck yea, me too.

The only Spider-Man movie better than it imo, was Spider-Man 2, Raimi struck gold with that film. Dem fight scenes, dat score, and dem well developed characters.

Dafoe and Bonesaws(RIP) readiness carried the first film, every one in it was shitty except for Uncle Ben and Aunt May, and maybe Franco, naw, he was only good in the 2nd one. It's just not the origin story I wanted for Spidey, and Maguire seemed like a stone in that 1st movie, and never seemed like an actual teenager.

I hope Sony doesn't butcher the movie, like they did the first one. Webb seems to be fine that Sony screwed with his shit, since they're given him that doe and he's coming back. Sony fucked with 3, and after that Raimi wasn't having that shit.

EDIT: Shailene Woodley is gorgeous, and is a HUGE upgrade from Dunst in looks and acting wise department. The Descendants was a hell of a money, loved her in that. Electro is a cool ass villain, but I do not think he can be a lead villain. I think they'll add another, hopefully, if they do; they keep that shit at 2 max.
Mysterio PLLLZZZZZZZZ

I'm assuming you haven't seen The Descendants.

I'm getting the same vibe.

Every time I see Shailene Woodley I think of The Secret Life of An American Teenager and how shitty that show is. So not too thrilled she is front runner.
I should probably watch the Descendants

Also The Outside with another big thread...

Every time I see Shailene Woodley I think of The Secret Life of An American Teenager and how shitty that show is. So not too thrilled she is front runner.
I should probably watch the Descendants

Also The Outside with another big thread...

Hey, so long as the movie scoops keep coming my way...

Ultimate Electro is actually a somewhat badass dude

spider-man-20050830040315243-000.jpg

Ultimate_Electro_SD.jpg

He isn't really much of a character though. Despite the Lizard's tragic story writing itself, they still managed to fuck it up in ASM so I'm not that hopeful they can make one from scratch for Electro.

Blader

Small update:

Woodley initially had scheduling issues as an obstacle in the dealmaking, having had offers to play both Mary Jane and the Divergent lead. But the Mary Jane part is proving to be only a very small part in Amazing Spider-Man 2 but builds to an integral lead for the planned third movie as the studio seeks to build to the classic Death of Gwen Stacy story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom