• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only one who's tired of licensed super hero games?

After the success of Insomniac's Spider-Man, it seems like everyone is jumping on the Marvel/DC game bandwagon.

I personally don't care for licensed super hero games. I want some original games that aren't available in any other media format. I don't mind stuff like Infamous because it's not Marvel or DC and doesn't already have movies and comic books.

I know I don't have to buy them or like every game, but why does it feel like there are so many of them out or in development?

We have Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Marvel Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and soon Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine.

The only games I'm really looking forward to are Horizon and Forspoken.

I've played Spider-Man and Miles Morales on PS5 since those were basically the only PS5 exclusives in 2020 (not a fan of Souls games) and they weren't terrible, but I didn't enjoy them other than the pretty visuals. Then I bought Guardians of the Galaxy because I keep hearing good things about it, but I got bored with it very quickly. The jokes aren't even funny and that little raccoon thing is super annoying with "flark this and flark that".

Sorry about the rant. I just wish there were more video games that aren't based on movies and comic books, but I get it... it's "safe" since they already know people will like them.

Time to stop being "safe" and do something new. Where are the new IPs like Uncharted back in the day and Horizon? Where's this generation's Infamous or Dead Space?

Reactions: Isa

Kuranghi

I just like good games, some have been good and some have been shit. I hope for more good ones. I try to evaluate games based on all their individual parts and elements, I don't really care what the overall theme is as long as its good. What good is takes a long time to write though and I'm too tired for that today, time to go play games.

If a new IP is a better game then I'm all for it though.

OP, how far did you get in GotG?

Yes indeed you are! Happy? Now close this thread.
backing up homer simpson GIF

I couldn't make myself finish Miles Morales.

Hoping Spider Man 2 is a very large departure. But it probably wont be, given that Insomniac makes multiple games very quickly.

Hopefully Wolverine is a large departure. I'd bet money it's the same Arkham combat. But having a much darker tone would at least freshen things up for me.

Guardians was a novel attempt as well, kind of going for Mass Effect lite. Just needed better level design, and more combat depth.

Suicide Squad is another attempt, but looks like a TPS mostly with melee.

NickFire

Something smells fishy but I'll take the bait.

No worries OP, you get your Horizon game in a few days, and you can play PS5 Uncharted right now even.

Also, by the time you are able to play the next comic book game that millions of people are looking forward to, it will have been a minimum of two years since Miles Morales launched. The genre is only over-saturated if you include crap games. No offense intended to Guardians though. That one sounds ok (but I recommend waiting until its dirt cheap and it will be soon for sure).

Honestly compared to movies there are barely any super hero games. You listed like 6 of them, is that really a lot over 4+ years? There are like 6 comic book movies released every single year, and that is probably being conservative.

Granted I don't give a shit about them, game or movie, but I just don't think there are really that many being released.

Honestly compared to movies there are barely any super hero games. You listed like 6 of them, is that really a lot over 4+ years? There are like 6 comic book movies released every single year, and that is probably being conservative.

Granted I don't give a shit about them, game or movie, but I just don't think there are really that many being released.
I guess I was hoping to see some new IPs from Sony, but instead we got more spider-man than we can shake a stick at and now wolverine.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm tired of them too, but I think it's more because of my Marvel fatigue than having any kind of problem with the actual games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The 2010s saw around about the same amount of licenced superhero games the 2000s did. It's just that Marvel took over the world in the 2010s so you saw these games pushed harder via marketing.

Spider-Man didn't cause this and The Avengers was in production before that game even had a chance to be successful.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Licensed games have been around always. They've actually gotten much better (on average) each generation. Also there's more choice than ever so just avoid the games you don't want to play and let other people have their fun. No need to rain on everyone else's parade.

Literally thousands of games to choose from and you are complaining about a half dozen?

After the success of Insomniac's Spider-Man, it seems like everyone is jumping on the Marvel/DC game bandwagon.
Are you new to gaming?

Concern

Opposite for me. Spiderman 2 on Ps2 was the last one I was interested in. Then the Ps4 Spiderman just got me interested again. I'm stoked for the Wolverine game too now as well.

Landero

Neo Member
No you're not. I have always wanted a open world super hero, mmo light game where you can make your own hero, design your own powers, build a hero team or villain team, etc. Somewhat like the Champions MMO game but for current gen and not a full mmo. Doubt it will ever happen.

ZywyPL

Banned
Agree, the heroes are never interesting to begin with, I'd be personally WAY more interested into rated R anti-hero games - The Punisher, Spawn, Deathpool, Wolverine, Venom/Carnage, Ghost Rider, The Darkness, Judge Dredd, Lobo, stuff like that, we barely ever get those.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Depends on the execution but as long as the gameplay is solid i don't mind licensed games. I would gladly take another Batman game from Rocksteady and i have high hopes for Insomniacs Wolverine.

I don't think that the development of revolutionary games are hindered by licencing since it is up to the developer to excel in creating appealing gameplay.

amigastar

You know what comic game is refreshing? Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich. Does anyone still know this game?

Last edited:
Yea, part of what I loved about Infamous was that it wasn't tied down to a comic/movie/book/tvshow etc. I'd rather Infamous come back than more Spider-Man.

yurinka

Looking at sales, most people isn't tired of superhero games. Always, since the 8 bits age, there has been superhero games and they are now selling better than ever.

In fact, I'd like to see an X-Men game by Insomniac after Wolverine or Wolverine 2 and a Morales-sized game of Venom after Spider-Man 2. Plus a The Punisher or Ghost Rider game by Sony Santa Monica being developed at the same time than a Kratos in Egipt GoW game, plus a new AAA IP by them and some small VR experiment.

Last edited:

T0minator

Wolverine on PS5 is my most anticipated game right now.

I'm definitely tired of licensed Marvel and DC movies and shows. In the games industry I don't think we're overly saturated with those types of games. There's so much potential in those universes for great gaming experiences. I'm actually surprised we haven't gotten more.

In my opinion Insomniac and Rocksteady have done a great job. I always look forward to whatever they make

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Just beat the
octopus
thing and saved
groot
. Then I was dealing with those purple glowing bullet sponge space suit enemies and I gave up.

Well thats pretty far to be fair, you've given it a fair shake and maybe its just not for you. I don't think the dialogue will get any better for you (I was already quite enjoying it by that point) but even if you don't play for the dialogue/characters I'd recommend one more go at it with these changes:

Go into the difficulty accessibility menu and change "damage output" to very high, cooldown of skills to the lowest (quickest) value and if you just want a visual experience turn damage received to the lowest. I had 10x more fun with the battles when I get the first two. Basically make it into a film and run around in slow motion all the time watching the cool shit happen.

If I couldn't have increased my damage output to reduce the spongeyness I wouldn't have continued playing without a trainer. Not sure if you're on PC but if you are then use WeMod to multiply your exp gain by 2 or 3 and then you get the skills much quicker. Imo, the first half of the games combat encounters were rote because you had no options, you don't get bored by having all the skills too early (you can't even get the final skills until scripted moments anyway so there will still be surprises near the end) you just get better at combining them in fun ways as the game goes on.

I just played it like a movie and not a challenging game and it was 10x as fun.

winjer

Gold Member
Rarely did I play these licensed super hero games. So I can't say I'm tired nor excited for more. I just don't care.
And I never was one to buy comics. Admittedly, I did see a dozen of these movies. Most are disposable fun, to waste a couple of hours with no thought.

Guys I know it's not a lot of games in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like (to me) that Sony is keen on pumping these out. I get all excited for a new game announcement and then... ugh, it's spiderman again or wolverine. Oh, can't have a new tomb raider, it's gotta be guardians of the galaxy etc.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm tired about overhyped games in general.
If you are tired of them, just avoid them. No ones forcing you.

Topher

Gold Member
Guys I know it's not a lot of games in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like (to me) that Sony is keen on pumping these out. I get all excited for a new game announcement and then... ugh, it's spiderman again or wolverine. Oh, can't have a new tomb raider, it's gotta be guardians of the galaxy etc.

You would rather have Tomb Raider? I mean......I'd expect something that wasn't so played out if you are "tired" of what is being offered.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So your tired of the what....handful of Mavel/Superhero games that come out once every few years amongst the THOUSANDS of other games that come out?

Is You Okay Youtube GIF

bitbydeath

Spider-Man could use a good shake-up.
They already have the world so now they just need to go bigger, enhancing everything.

See that car, drive it.
See that building, get in it.
Miles wants to go bowling, you do it!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want to vomit every time something Marvel or DC related shit pops out and avoid them like plague but they are fucking everywhere like Minions used to be.

Top Bottom