• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only one disgusted by the complete lack of coverage on the Xbox Series S?

ZehDon

Just the Series S from what I can see. Series X has barely showed any games

Sony has done a great job with PS5. Demon Souls, Spiderman, and Sackboy. New UI

To me MS is shitting the bed right now
... people have had the Series X in their homes for nearly a month, and they’ve reported on virtually every aspect of the machine. You can literally use the Series x’s UI right now. Meanwhile, Sony won’t let people touch the PS5, and won’t talk about a single aspect in detail.

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the PS5 content, but Microsoft have done a stellar job of getting REAL information out there - we’ve simply never had this kind of information pre-release of a console before now. Microsoft’s transparency is fantastic. I suspect the Series S is under embargo, just like the X, and it’ll come up before launch. Full comparisons in detail.
Will anyone even be able to power on a PS5 before launch? At this point, it seems unlikely.

DiSgUsTiNg
/s

In all seriousness, it’s cause the hardcore are who the launches are marketed to and catered for so it’s all about SX for now. Series S is aimed at casuals who aren’t going to be a big target until a few months into the gen anyway.

teezzy

Banned
Dependent on whether or not I'm craving that disc drive to play my old games...

This thing may end up being my go-to for Madden and NHL for the next few years.

It doesn't need much hype because common folk (non nerds) like me will buy it regardless

by the complete lack of coverage on the Xbox Series S???

xbox-series-s-real-photo-scaled.jpg

They release the launch trailer and an 8 minute video describing the console with very little actual gameplay footage

MS sends out preview Series X to youtubers and media sites. But no Series S.
Why?

Less then a month out and I feel in the dark about this console and it's capabilities
Check my post history. I considered this console at one stage and I was dead serious about it and to be honest, still somewhat looking at it because PS5 and Series X is sold out.

BUT what in the fuck can I do when there is no information out about this console. All I have to go on currently are a crummy gameplay clips of cross gen games running on this console. If you look on youtube all you see is Series X walkthroughs, boot up times, operating temperatures and other shit but sweet fuck all on the Series S.

Why is this fucking console not getting any fucking coverage ??!!!

elenapska

I think it is obvious, they want the most expensive, most powerful console to be in the gamer's mind, not a digital-only, low res console

Tiamat2san

No, I am not a peasant....

i am joking.

i guess it’s because most of early adopters are tech enthusiasts hence the series X pushed in the spotlight.

odhiex

I'm not disgusted by any means, I want to learn/see more of XBOX series S.

I am definitely interested of getting a second console, that is cheap, along with the PS5 that I intended to buy first.

FlyyGOD

Just the Series S from what I can see. Series X has barely showed any games

Sony has done a great job with PS5. Demon Souls, Spiderman, and Sackboy. New UI

To me MS is shitting the bed right now
Sends a number of Series X to journalists and youtubers to get hands on while Sony won't even let anyone touch one expect in a controlled setting and Microsoft is shitting in the bed? Oh come now.

TalentedMrJ

Sends a number of Series X to journalists and youtubers to get hands on while Sony won't even let anyone touch one expect in a controlled setting and Microsoft is shitting in the bed? Oh come now.

This is true

But while MS is emphasizing Gamepass and back compat on games from the OG XBox
Sony is showing actual next gen games with GAMEPLAY

The least MS can do is showcase both their consoles instead of acting like one doesn't exist
The lack of information is causing me to lose faith and probably just go with the sure thing in Sony

But based on the posts here no one just a shit and the console is DOA :messenger_astonished:

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
For MS, this has to be their most lack luster launch ever
Maybe in the history of gaming
I don't remember the original xbox's launch tbh. I just remember seeing it on a kiosk at Best Buy at some point in time. Some guy was playing Grabbed by the Ghoulies and I thought it was stupid. (I later got it for SC2 though)

dano1

A Sheep
I’m disgusted that turd was even made!! please explain why this even exists ??
I think it just screws with the series x games.

Aion002

Xbox is trying to ride the most powerful console wave, that's why they are ignoring the Series S a little.

Which is quite funny..... Cause they don't have games showing that power. So ignoring the Series S is a little weird in my opinion.

Sure, on launch the hardcore Xbox fans will get the SX.... But if things repeat like in this gen, the SS will sell a lot more in the long run...

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Do you own a PS4 or Xbox one? The S puts them to shame. It trounces a PS4 pro and Xbox one X too, despite having less TF.
It's a compact beast, out shadowed only by two new outstanding consoles. It will get moderate traction for $299, will see it fly off the shelves next year when it's $199.

Its only $100 less than a PS5!! Who would be stupid enough to buy this thing!!?

Last edited:

Aion002

Its only $100 less than a PS5!! Who would be stupid enough to buy this thing!!?
Casuals, people who doesn't have a 4k tv, parents for their kids, people who doesn't want (or can't) spend much.

There's a reason why MS is making the SS.... They are not stupid.

Grinchy

Banned
The S barely exists right now anyway. There was a 10 minute window when you could preorder consoles, the S appears to have been an extremely low percent of what was available during that 10 minute window, and now we go back to wondering how long it'll be before a regular person can even make a choice between the models.

It's like the digital PS5, except maybe even lower numbers. Both companies wanted buyers to know that the price "starts at" this lower amount to get them thinking about how they'd rather have the "better version" for a little bit more money. That helps sweeten the bitter $500 pill a little bit in a regular Joe's mind.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I mean, all things considered it's a nice little box. But it's underwhelming compared to the bigger boys.

I would probably buy one to use on the 1080p TV downstairs when I want to play games there.

sol_bad

I mean, when Microsoft gave the hardware to Youtube influences, you did hear them say in almost every video:

BUUUT WITH HOW CHEAP THE SERIES S IS, IT'S A GREAT OPTION FOR NEXT GEN!!!!!!!!

Almost like they were paid to push the Series S.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
They want early adopters to purchase the more expensive console. I think this will be marketed more in 2021 especially nearer the backend of the year when they have a ton of stock built up and can sell it for $199 with GP for the Holiday season.

dano1

A Sheep
Casuals, people who doesn't have a 4k tv, parents for their kids, people who doesn't want (or can't) spend much.

There's a reason why MS is making the SS.... They are not stupid.

There was a reason Coca Cola made new coke years ago but doesn’t mean it was a good idea. Lots of companies make bad decision! I’m assuming you remember the launch of Xbox one?

Kssio_Aug

No I am not, but some posts here really comes close to make me feel this way. lmao

I ordered an Series S but I am not too worried. It wont be the console to be shown in the marketing material as it would lead to comparisons against PS5 and could possibly make people believe that Xbox games would look or run worse than Playststion.

I really just want it to launch so I can sign gamepass and play whatever gets launched and grabs my interest. Might stay with it until PS5 Slim gets released and / or Xbox Series X price drops.

They want to keep the 12TF narrative going.

That being said, I would like to see comparisons to know exactly how different the performance is... just resolution or some other aspects get canned?

No I am not, but some posts here really comes close to make me feel this way. lmao

I ordered an Series S but I am not too worried. It wont be the console to be shown in the marketing material as it would lead to comparisons against PS5 and could possibly make people believe that Xbox games would look or run worse than Playststion.

I really just want it to launch so I can sign gamepass and play whatever gets launched and grabs my interest. Might stay with it until PS5 Slim gets released and / or Xbox Series X price drops.
This.

I'm in same boat but having the console out there in the hands of DF and other youtubers surely won't hurt its sales.

In the end the product is up for sale and its features and functions needs to be communicated if MS hopes to sell anything and to give users a reason to purchase.

You're not doing the product any favors by actively 'hiding' it from public eye.

lachesis

I ordered Series X, but yes - I am very much interested how the inner workings, actual hardware speed and performances checked in real life analysis - how well it handles BC games compared to Series X and all... not by "oh, it loads even faster than XSX" and not showing anything concrete side-by-sides. Image qualities on 1080p monitors, how embedded 4k upscaler behaves with 900p-1440p resolution, and also the noise level, available SDD storage space etc...

I am guessing that MS would think reviewers would favor more powerful HW naturally as themselves are enthusiasts, and probably avoiding any negative reactions from them prior to launch, maybe? I do think 500gb is little too small, even if it's geared towards 1080p machine at this generation to be honest.

But will it backfire? We are looking at the launch of next gen in exactly 3 weeks now... so hopefully this week we'll hear more about Series S as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom