• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I so out of touch? No, it's the (industry) who is out of touch. Where are the gen II Battle Royale games?

Are "second wave" Battle Royale games on their way?

• Yes, they're just going to take a bit more time. Think 2022-2024.

• No, the Battle Royale revolution is nearing it's expiration date.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigBooper

What is Zelda Breath of the Wild if not "scrounging"?

The advancement in these BR games will, in part, come from making the downtime fun.
I hate it as well, but I get your point. I don't agree with it in most games because you are constantly building to being better and having more. With things breaking so fast in Breath of the Wild, that's not really the case.

I'm bitter that there aren't more Counter Strike clones.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I keep waiting for the FPS genre to collapse under the immense weight of its genericity, but somehow it keeps chugging like this. Threads like this remind me that I probably hold a minority opinion.

Battlefield tried and failed.

Apex nailed it.

I think Overwatch, Destiny, Halo, Gears need to all take a swing at it.

im still disappointed that Splatoon battle royale rumor wasn't tru

2017 - Janky as **** PUBG exploded onto the scene and breaks Steam records.

2018 - Fortnite flies by PUBG to become the most successful Western console/PC game of all time.

2019 - Apex Legends single handedly saves Respawn Entertainment.

2020 - Warzone kills traditional CoD multiplayer.

During that four year stretch, the only Battle Royale to falter in the market is Ubisofts Hyper Scape. A Battle Royale designed for people who don't like Battle Royale games...shocking I know. The genre is seemingly teflon at this point with an absurd hit rate.

Now, in 2021, the industry is gearing up to release a floodgate of Battl...(record scratch)...4 player co-op games?

Back 4 Blood
Aliens Fireteam
Rainbow 6 Quarantine
Outriders
Overwatch 2
Gotham Knights
Diablo 4
Warhammer Darktide
Arrowhead Studios next PS5 game

Can anyone explain this? There was a time where I could understand the industry thinking 4 player co-op was the next big thing. Destiny was everywhere in 2015 and 2016. Does the industry just move slower than expected?

Shouldn't we be starting to see gen II Battle Royale games built from the ground up with not only next gen technology in mind, but the knowledge of what makes the genre work?

4 player co-op games seem to be more costly to make (long development cycles) and their market ceiling seems to be significantly lower than BR.

What am I missing?
Fortnite is going down. The fad is over. Every Battle Royale is the same, so its limited from the very beginning to being open world. Can you imagine every game being open world? It would suck ass so I don't expect them to last for much longer. Now that the king of BR games is dying everyone will follow

I tought that Halo Infinite MP was going to be battle royale but even they decided to go on a more classic direction.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Update:

PUBG 2 looks to have been cancelled. A number of ideas in PUBG 2 will be implemented in PUBG.

Striking Distance Studios (The Callisto Protocol) is working on a Battle Royale code named "Project Titan".

Also, Star Treks No 2 is building up PUBGs lore for some reason?

The Gen II Battle Royales are coming...

Last edited:
Battle royale to shooters are what wow were to mmos.

Dumbed down boring gameplay everyone wants to copy because they want a slice of that dough.

You seem to really hate battle royales. Saying they're dumbed down is stupid though. Apex legends is one of the more difficult games to get good in and reallyrewards skilled gameplay. You don't sound cool with your dumbass ignorant comments.

I'm curious to know what you think a good multiplayer shooter is.

Top Bottom