• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alt-Tech. Sources, links, information

Mistake

So, MXR got banned again on youtube and hit with their second strike. Despite hosting other videos with fireworks, throwing puppies into rivers, and people crashing into stuff twisting their legs backwards and sideways, this one was just too much for youtube.

So I was thinking. Let's use this opportunity to share links, content, and other information to support alternatives. Even each other. Sure these things may not be as big, but you always have to start somewhere right? I prefer smaller communities anyways, as it feels easier to interact with other people and make a name for yourself. So let's begin.

>What is Alt-Tech?<
Simply put, they are sites or apps to use instead of what's mainstream. Don't like youtube, facebook, or twitter? There are sites for it. A quick search on google paints them as terrible things run by nazis. Ignore it.

>Why use them?<
For a long time now an increasing number of creators are getting banned, censored, or demonetized. Supporting other places allows us to balance the internet, and not give all the power to only a few companies. There is also a heavy bias controlling what people see in terms of content, either by moderators or whoever does the programming. If you value free speech, critical thought, and artistic expression, please support other platforms and urge your favorite content creators to do the same. Any company with competition has a higher chance of listening to their consumers, while monopolies couldn't care less.

-Youtube Alternatives-
Odysee (lbry is the desktop client) Available online or as an application on all platforms. Odysee uses P2P sharing, and gives you control over your content with a variety of options. You can earn money through blockchain or donations, and even link your youtube as a backup or dual-publish. One problem however is that it can use a lot of bandwidth.
BitChute Demonized by wikipedia and MSM, BitChute is a simple platform with an easy to use interface.
Rumble Similar to Bitchute, but with more monetization options

-Social Media-
Gab While seen as the "right-wing twitter," more content creators are migrating this platform.
GETTR The new parler? Not sure

-Search Engines-
Startpage Whether startpage or duckduckgo is better in terms of privacy, I have no idea, but it's decent. (owned by System1, an ad-agency)
Brave Search Another alternative

-Chat Apps-
Telegram is a cloud based chat application. With a plethora of delete options, easy to use proxy setup, groups up to 200,000, and gif search, it's my chat app of choice. Conversations are encrypted, but not end-to-end encrypted by default; you can however open a secret chat to do it. Servers are divided across countries to prevent them from falling under any single jurisdiction.
Signal Also very user friendly. Chats are end-to-end encrypted by default, but group or delete options are more limited.

-Email-
Protonmail A free end-to-end encrypted email service with additional features like self-destructing messages. How secure is it? According to them "The primary datacenter is located under 1000 meters of granite rock in a heavily guarded bunker which can survive a nuclear attack."

-Browsers-
Waterfox Desktop. What firefox used to be. Literally. (owned by System1, an ad-agency)
Brave A privacy focused browser with default ad-blocking and fingerprint randomization.
Vivaldi Desktop

-Programs-
Libre Office offers itself as a free alternative to MS Office with a wide range of support.
Open Office Another open source suite (all platforms, 32-bit on windows)
GIMP Need something to take the place of photoshop? Try this instead
7-Zip A file archiver with various compression options
Foxit PDF is an easy to use pdf reader. I especially recommend this on mobile devices, because you can add your own pdf files from a computer and read like a kindle.

Feel free to add additional sources and I will try to update this post

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, for DuckDuckGo, in the event you don’t find what you need (and to their credit, this doesn’t happen much for me) you can put !g before your search query, and it’ll take you straight to Google and display the search results there.

To me, that one thing makes it all viable. You can massively reduce your dependency on Google, and ensuing support of them, but use them as a back-up if needed.

J-Roderton

I’ve been posting to Bitchute along with YouTube for my gaming videos. It’s got a ways to go and a lot of the conspiracy content gets annoying but I still think it’s the best alt-youtube out there. At least more so than dtube in my opinion.

Mistake

I really like Protonmail. End-to-end encrypted, no hijinks, seemingly quite successful and with longevity, etc.

I question the absolute security of any email in this day and age, but this is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of something like Gmail.
Added. I've been using it for a while actually, it's pretty smooth

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I really like Protonmail. End-to-end encrypted, no hijinks, seemingly quite successful and with longevity, etc.

I question the absolute security of any email in this day and age, but this is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of something like Gmail.
Yeah, Protonmail is as good as it gets.
Edit: debating whether to get their VPN and other premium services, since I'm liking their email so far.

Last edited:
Anyone know the best web browser alternatives to chrome on Android?

My old go to was Firefox, but they've gone full cult of woke in recent years, and I never much cared for Opera, but I'm out of the loop on good alternatives.

Last edited:

Mistake

I thought Firefox was big on privacy and such. I switched from Chrome to Firefox this year.
There have been reports about them possibly becoming more corporate and including some woke junk. The good news is that you can import everything into waterfox since it's based off the same code

Last edited:
Top Bottom