• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol deserves a sequel

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Game was fucking hilarious and had amazing writing. Going full sociopath in this game was genius and no mainstream games really let you do shit like this anymore. Gameplay was serviceable but broken. Sadly, it was pulled from Steam and isn't backwards compatible on Xbox. I'm looking forward to Avowed but it seems like Obsidian is back on that fantasy stuff forever and I wish they would give this another shot.

Winter John

Never going to happen. I liked it. It was pretty unique. It was also broken as fuck and played like shit. I've seen a lot of people talking about this game and it's obvious most of them are wearing rose colored glasses. The game deservedly got slammed to fuck when it came out. Obsidian never fixed it. I doubt it sold much considering how badly it was received. For all it's faults it was enjoyable. Apart from that fuckin boss fight on the ship. Still, it's obvious there's no money in the thing otherwise Obsidian would've pumped out a remaster or a sequel by now

I love Alpha Protocol and despise how it got removed from whatever service it was on previously. I completely agree with you. However...

Let's just work on getting a re-rerelease for now. The MOST we'd get is a broken remaster for some quick bucks for Sega. For a sequel they'd probably do some weird, easy to make visual story thing like a Telltale Games ordeal if they really found value in it.

Croga

What a game!

Story / Dialogue choices and their impact = Fantastic.

I have fond memories of playing the game twice (playing through the second time as a full on nutjob should be mandatory, it is amazing)
I think in terms of story design / having multiple dialogue choices with real, legit outcomes it is one of the best in the business in that regard, but....

The actual gameplay is pure trash lol. Combat is god awful, shooting is terrible, stealth is completely broken, the list goes on.

This is well worth a watch for anyone who is interested in the game:

Mixed bag for sure. I would absolutely love a sequel, but it'll never happen.

Concern

Twitter and ree tards would not stop crying about this if it was released today.

I got stuck on the boat fight and gave up but I really wanted to go back to it. Sucks it isn't bc.

Graciaus

I've heard about it but never got around to playing it.

Notice: At the request of the publisher, Alpha Protocol™ is no longer available for sale on Steam.

And there goes that idea.

Dr.Morris79

MS doesn't own the rights, which belong to Sega. Inb4 MS buys Sega meme.
Nrrrgh God dammit!!

oiSDRTf.gif

Freeman76

Some really funny dialogue in this game. I remember the agent telling his boss about his profile and portfolio or something and the boss turns round and laughs at him saying 'ha, its more like a pamphlet'

Cracked me up

Zuzu

Never going to happen. I liked it. It was pretty unique. It was also broken as fuck and played like shit. I've seen a lot of people talking about this game and it's obvious most of them are wearing rose colored glasses. The game deservedly got slammed to fuck when it came out. Obsidian never fixed it. I doubt it sold much considering how badly it was received. For all it's faults it was enjoyable. Apart from that fuckin boss fight on the ship. Still, it's obvious there's no money in the thing otherwise Obsidian would've pumped out a remaster or a sequel by now
I agree. There's a lot of overhyped romanticism about this game. I played it and finished it. I didn't think it was that great. There were some good ideas in it but it still wasn't hugely fun.

I actually completed the game and thought it was flawed, but a lot of fun. The IP is nothing, so it's not like they need it to make another Spy RPG.

I'd be happy if they just put it up on the store for purchase on Xbox.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Forget a sequel, it deserves a proper re-release/remaster with the bugs ironed out.

Love the game but it was a MESS.

Love Obsidian for their stories. Tyranny, KOTOR2, MOTB and Alpha Protocol.

But the games are unpolished low budget and buggy.

Stuart360

So would you guys say its worth me giving the game another shot?. I own in on PC, but only played it once years ago for about an hour, and i was bored to tears. RPG's and being an arsehole is my jam, and it sounds like this game has a lot of that lol.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So would you guys say its worth me giving the game another shot?. I own in on PC, but only played it once years ago for about an hour, and i was bored to tears. RPG's and being an arsehole is my jam, and it sounds like this game has a lot of that lol.

yea, its probably the best game ever at letting you be an insane asshole, and it actually affects how things play out. you can execute most people in the game for very little reason at all. i would say just play on easy and max out stealth + pistols as its completely OP.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Sega were on top form back then, Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, Vanquish, Bayonetta. Would love a remastered collection of those games.

Last edited:
Its one of those games from the 7th gen that I believe got undeservably slammed for no good reason other than the gaming media failing to recognize what made it shine. It wasn't until it got into the hands of actual gamers that people started to discover that.

Was it a technical marvel? Not really. But, it was an overall good if not very good game at its core. I honestly, can't see the hyper criticism surrounding its TPS shooting gameplay and skill tree. All-in-all it was a great package deserving of a better reception and more success.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I have never played it, and have been thinking about getting this for the 360, or possibly the PS3....one thing is for sure, Sony won't bring this to their platinum plus collection....

Only discovered this game a couple years ago. I mean, owned it for years until I played it in 2020.
Absolutely fantastic experience, one of the rare instances where I beat a game twice in a row.

edit: wow, I can still download it in steam!

Last edited:

Teslerum

Both of those answers are: SEGA.

Fact is development didn't go so well and many bridges were soured during it. The game itself is a Frankenstein monster put together from previous iterations. You can argue all day who's at fault during development itself, but in the end shit simply happened.

SEGA gave up on AP before it was even released. Obsidian wasn't funded for any post-release support. They basically cut all contact with Obsidian post release and even a little bit before that. The patch that the game did receive was sitting at SEGA for 6 months (submitted before the game was released, which was also held back by Sega) before they decided to randomly throw it out (in a random exe download on their page without even announcing it). That's how much they cared.

Also Obsidian can't pump out anything, they don't have the rights to the game. Sega does.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Both of those answers are: SEGA.

Fact is development didn't go so well and many bridges were soured during it. The game itself is a Frankenstein monster put together from previous iterations. You can argue all day who's at fault during development itself, but in the end shit simply happened.

SEGA gave up on AP before it was even released. Obsidian wasn't funded for any post-release support. They basically cut all contact with Obsidian post release and even a little bit before that. The patch that the game did receive was sitting at SEGA for 6 months (submitted before the game was released, which was also held back by Sega) before they decided to randomly throw it out (in a random exe download on their page without even announcing it). That's how much they cared.

Also Obsidian can't pump out anything, they don't have the rights to the game. Sega does.
So it would take an un-official fan re-boot to do it, like Streets of Rage.....before Streets of Rage 4 came about.. or some developer out there that looks to make a spiritual sequel.....both this game and Deus Ex are in a bad state of play...

Idk about a sequel, but reboot would be nice. Or even a spiritual successor so that there's no fuckery with the license.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Had a lot of fun with it. I did multiple playthroughs, every path I took felt unique and, more importantly, didn't feel cobbled together. The plot points you got felt like the only version of the story, not a hodgepodge of options from a list. This is especially impressive considering that many of them were incompatible with each other or outright contradictory. This game did what many games have promised, and is the only one that I've played that ever delivered that experience. On top of that, the game didn't feel short, like many games that take branching paths do.

Sadly, it's dead. I don't expect a sequel or a remake. It's a shame.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I own this game for 360, but I've never played it.
How broken is the console version?
Not broken. Combat has dice roll mechanics, stealth is bad until you level up your skills. The first few missions will be frustrating, but if you power through those the rest of the game is great.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Talking about the cult classic spy rpg from Obsidian, an interesting blend of unique ideas mixed with jank and bugs.

Timestamps
00:00 Intro
01:10 Overview
01:27 Development
03:53 Difficulty
05:17 Story Set Up/Structure
08:55 Dialogue Systems
11:34 Mission Hubs
13:25 Progression Systems
16:14 Mini Games
17:08 Combat
20:00 Character Writing