• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

It would have been a good idea if whoever writes the blog had checked with Cerny or his team to make sure the post was correct before publishing it.

Grinchy

Banned
Sony needs to get their messaging figured out. They finally tell the world something about the PS5 and it only left everyone more confused. That's not a success.

Kokoloko85

I say this as a Sony fan... Without complete access to my PS+ Library what is preventing me from just going MS this generation?
I feel completely misled by their earlier backwards compatibility statements. I was really expecting to be able to pull anything in my digital library up and play it ... immediately.

It is PS4 backwards compatible. Just boost mode for top 100 games atm

devilNprada

It is PS4 backwards compatible. Just boost mode for top 100 games

Did I misunderstand? I can play my entire digital library day 1? My understanding was only 100 top games by launch... Why am I getting boost mode at no cost? That seems a waste of time and money on Sony's part.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Did I misunderstand? I can play my entire digital library day 1? My understanding was only 100 top games by launch... Why am I getting boost mode at no cost? That seems a waste of time and money on Sony's part.
Fully bc with PS4/pro day 1, all titles.

100 titles tested for enhanced bc aka boost.

Some not working under boost, but won’t have issues under regular bc.

More titles will be added and fixed to work with boost.

What boost gets you on PS5 has not yet been divulged. Frame rate stability? Resolution? Higher framerate? Improved rendering effects?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wow. Sony really is fucking up with marketing and such lately. And I say that as a Sony fan who doesn't usually give much of a shit about marketing until a product is actually, you know, on the market.

How hard is it to just provide concise details? People always downplay the effects of bad marketing, but then forgot the colossal fuckups that both Microsoft and Nintendo had in the past which seemed benign at first and were even defended by fans and the media, but screwed them up for a generation or more. I feel like Sony is flirting around that kind of territory. They have so much inertia coming into this new gen that they'd really have to fuck things up to "lose", but man, it certainly seems like they're trying their best to fail.

devilNprada

What boost gets you on PS5 has not yet been divulged. Frame rate stability? Resolution? Higher framerate? Improved rendering effects?
Thanks

Wow. Sony really is fucking up with marketing and such lately. And I say that as a Sony fan who doesn't usually give much of a shit about marketing until a product is actually, you know, on the market.

How hard is it to just provide concise details? People always downplay the effects of bad marketing, but then forgot the colossal fuckups that both Microsoft and Nintendo had in the past which seemed benign at first and were even defended by fans and the media, but screwed them up for a generation or more. I feel like Sony is flirting around that kind of territory. They have so much inertia coming into this new gen that they'd really have to fuck things up to "lose", but man, it certainly seems like they're trying their best to fail.
Sony has always been a quiet company on the PR front, they are definitely not american in their approach to PR... they just come out when they have something meaningful to say... Cerny may be a bit too dry for many, especially the non technical gamers out there.

Tripolygon

Banned
PS5 is not launching with less than 100 games being compatible at launch. They literally said they worked with AMD to ensure PS5 supports legacy mode similar to XSX, which means games run natively. Github which was sorta right all along had those legacy mode test data. 100 most popular games was tested as a sample size and majority run without issues which means thousands should run without issues but those with issues will be fixed via patch if they can. Test will be done to compile list of games that run without issues.

8Wz7Ip7.jpg

Windows-PC

Banned
Why is BC so hard for Sony to pull off entirely? One area where MS seems to have them outclassed properly

Because their Engineers are incompetent or they don't care about BC. I highly believe they didn't even planned BC when they began designing the PS5. Probably one reason why they didn't release the PS5 in Holiday 2019 was that they feared a huge backlash if they had no BC at all when they notices that fans demanded BC. That would explain to me why their BC is and looks like it's half baked.

Windows-PC

Banned

PS5 is not launching with less than 100 games being compatible at launch. They literally said they worked with AMD to ensure PS5 supports legacy mode similar to XSX, which means games run natively. Github which was sorta right all along had those legacy mode test data. 100 most popular games was tested as a sample size and majority run without issues which means thousands should run without issues but those with issues will be fixed via patch if they can. Test will be done to compile list of games that run without issues.

8Wz7Ip7.jpg

Sorry, that's not true! Only 100 selected games will be playable at launch and more games will be added over time.

Tripolygon

Banned
Sorry, that's not true! Only 100 selected games will be playable at launch and more games will be added over time.
Wanna bet?

I'll buy you a PS5 or XSX if only 100 games are supported at launch, you buy me a PS5 or XSX if more.

He said "running PS4 titles at boosted frequency has also added complexity, the boost is truly massive this time around and some game codes cant handle it, testing has to be done on a title by title basis". This is talking about boost mode. They have legacy mode where the system downclocks to 800MHz for PS4 and 911MHz for PS4 Pro going by what the github said and they have the boost mode running at 2+GHz.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Because their Engineers are incompetent or they don't care about BC. I highly believe they didn't even planned BC when they began designing the PS5. Probably one reason why they didn't release the PS5 in Holiday 2019 was that they feared a huge backlash if they had no BC at all when they notices that fans demanded BC. That would explain to me why their BC is and looks like it's half baked.
WTF is all this nonsense?

AGRacing

Gold Member
I want 90+ % backward compatibility with all former PlayStation consoles. They should have begun work on this 2 friggin’ years ago. The sad thing about this is they’ve got a perfectly great ps1/ps2 emulator already. They still behave like even they don’t understand how the PS3 actually worked. “Sorry guys we’d love to emulate PS3 but we lost the manual ...!”. I’m amazed the thing even turned on back in the day. PS1 classic was a joke. It’s all just bad form. Sony if you haven’t started work on this - first of all shame on you - secondly, start now and announce when it will be ready prior to the console launch.... you’ll be doing yourself a giant favour.

We all like to drone on about how video games are art but let’s see some effort to preserve it. I want to play “Shatter” on PS5.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Original PS2 did 99% BC of PS1, PS3 did 100% BC on PS2. XSX has 100% BC of Xbox One. Also Wii is 100% BC of Gamecube, Wii U also

Dont forget Atari 7800 BC to 2600. And once you buy the converter for it, the Genesis could play all of the master system games. And then there’s the handhelds: GBA, DS, and 3 DS all fully backwards compatible. But of course all of them were cartridge based. Kinda wonder if that’s the reason...

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Damn did they fuck up the messaging royally. Whoever wrote that blog post deserves to be fired. And all the media outlets picked it up. Did they even watch Cerny?

Waiting impatiently to hear about disc based BC specifically. If it's not in, I'm out (at least anywhere near launch). My library is almost entirely physical discs.

Shame about the lackluster BC for ps5 (xbox gamepass has a more juicy library of legacy games by far) but whatchugonnado. *hugs xbox gamepass, ps4, PC and switch lovingly*

This upcoming gen just ain't for me. Gonna upgrade my pc with the new gpu's when they come out.

Last edited:

Fnord

Eh I think you all are jumping the gun on this. The implication I got was that it was BC with PS4. Its just that they TESTED the top 100 games.

They probably will be. They just don't want to guarantee it 100% in case there's unforseen issues with obscure game x or y.

This. At no point during the presentation did Cerny say that only most of the top 100 played PS4 games would run on PS4. He specifically said that they tested the top 100 played PS4 games and that most of them worked. This, in no way, means that only the games they confirmed as compatible are, in fact, compatible.

Filippos

Banned
Damn did they fuck up the messaging royally. Whoever wrote that blog post deserves to be fired. And all the media outlets picked it up. Did they even watch Cerny?

Waiting impatiently to hear about disc based BC specifically. If it's not in, I'm out (at least anywhere near launch). My library is almost entirely physical discs.

What if the blog post is right though? Who gets then fired? Cerny? 😂

pr0cs

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

People are crazy, nothing in there says that bc is a given on ps5

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I want 90+ % backward compatibility with all former PlayStation consoles. They should have begun work on this 2 friggin’ years ago. The sad thing about this is they’ve got a perfectly great ps1/ps2 emulator already. They still behave like even they don’t understand how the PS3 actually worked. “Sorry guys we’d love to emulate PS3 but we lost the manual ...!”. I’m amazed the thing even turned on back in the day. PS1 classic was a joke. It’s all just bad form. Sony if you haven’t started work on this - first of all shame on you - secondly, start now and announce when it will be ready prior to the console launch.... you’ll be doing yourself a giant favour.

We all like to drone on about how video games are art but let’s see some effort to preserve it. I want to play “Shatter” on PS5.
I'm sure Sony can do PS1, PS2 and even PS3 emulation. BUt they'd rather have you sub to PS Now than allow gamers to dig up old games or buy discs at a flea market for $1 each.

If homebrew guys can make Sony emulators on a PC for years work (and even have features making it look better), I'm sure engineers at Sony can do the same (and already have done).

I'm sure Sony can do PS1, PS2 and even PS3 emulation. BUt they'd rather have you sub to PS Now than allow gamers to dig up old games or buy discs at a flea market for $1 each.

If homebrew guys can make Sony emulators on a PC for years work (and even have features making it look better), I'm sure engineers at Sony can do the same (and already have done).

To be fair, there are some homebrew guys sitting at home in their gitch surrounded by pizza boxes and empty beer cans that can do things that would stump a lot of engineers. Engineers for a big corporate developer work set hours, on a set budget and are given tasks. Guy in his gitch is doing one thing, with no time limit, and no bean counters telling him to do something profitable.

Discusguy

There were many times I passed on the less expensive multiplatform 3rd party games for my Pro to buy the more expensive version on my One X because I didn’t trust Sony on their BC strategy. I was right in not trusting Sony because of their silence.

Last edited:
It is not true. GPU architecture in current-get and next gen is different.
Sony have 36 CUs only because of hardware-level backwards compat.
MSFT BC is software only. There is no other way.
Why do you say shit that you know that you don’t actually know is true or not? You are completely fucking wrong about this. Xbox One X BC is hardware not software.

Last edited:

Koopatrol

If not every PS4 game is BC after having 36 CUs and having the legacy modes as described by Mark Cerny and in the Github leak, I really won't know what to think. That will be a huge disappointment.

Sony needs better PR at this point. I've been giving their marketing team the benefit of the doubt, but not really anymore. Hopefully they clear up the messaging soon, but who the hell knows. Probably have to wait until like July or something now.

MayauMiao

I hope Fallout 4 is included in that list. I want that fast travel to be instant, room loading virtually gone, and doesn't make jet engine noise.

Harlock

It is bad work when you can make clear in a pre recorfed video if all the ps4 games can be played on PS5 or just the one Sony tested.

Top Bottom