• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I also take it from how they present the BC issue you will have to rebuy games if you want a PS5 version where Microsoft are offering free patches on games to take them to series x level. a bit like last of us on ps3 and then they brought out the "remastered" version on PS4

phil_t98

#SonyToo
also what are the top 100 games on PS4? any body know how they will define this list? my top 100 maybe different to their top 100

TLZ

Banned
also what are the top 100 games on PS4? any body know how they will define this list? my top 100 maybe different to their top 100
I've just rewatched it and I think he said top 100 based on playtime.

Also listening to him again he says because PS4 and pro games will be running at much higher frequencies there's a chance they'll break and thus they'll have to test on a game by game basis.

Fgs this is pissing me off now. I expected full PS4 bc from the get go :messenger_pouting: Wasn't this what they promised in their previous messaging or am I imagining things?

lynux3

Also listening to him again he says because PS4 and pro games will be running at much higher frequencies there's a chance they'll break and thus they'll have to test on a game by game basis.

Fgs this is pissing me off now. I expected full PS4 bc from the get go :messenger_pouting: Wasn't this what they promised in their previous messaging or am I imagining things?
It is full backwards compatibility. Game by game basis means PS5 "boost mode" support; otherwise, PS5 will play games in legacy mode, essentially playing like PS4 and PS4 Pro games.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Filippos

Banned

Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console.

• Thoughtful

Filippos

Banned
It is full backwards compatibility. Game by game basis means PS5 "boost mode" support; otherwise, PS5 will play games in legacy mode, essentially playing like PS4 and PS4 Pro games.

That’s the question though. the blog post doesn’t say that. It says the contrary. But I think the blog post might be wrong.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I was at least hoping for full BC with PS4 at a minimum. This is really pretty disappointing, I have no doubt it will be a great machine but I am firmly off the fence for a day one purchase of either of these consoles unless there is some unbelievable games announced for launch.

lynux3

That’s the question though. the blog post doesn’t say that. It says the contrary. But I think the blog post might be wrong.
What exactly is the question? In Mark Cerny's presentation he said backwards compatibility will be done through legacy modes on PS5 while the "top 100" games will support PS5's boost mode.

Filippos

Banned
What exactly is the question? In Mark Cerny's presentation he said backwards compatibility will be done through legacy modes on PS5 while the "top 100" games will support PS5's boost mode.

the blog post:

We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

They are saying PLAYABLE - not boost mode is supported - just straight out AT ALL PLAYABLE.
So, according to the blog post, games are not playable by default. They need to be tested. And they will be added case by case. And at launch most of the most 100 played games will be available.

but the blog post might be wrong. But not seeing there anything about boost mode, just playable at all.

lynux3

the blog post:

We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

They are saying PLAYABLE - not boost mode is supported - just straight out AT ALL PLAYABLE.
So, according to the blog post, games are not playable by default. They need to be tested. And they will be added case by case. And at launch most of the most 100 played games will be available.

but the blog post might be wrong. But not seeing there anything about boost mode, just playable at all.
Can you link the blog post? Based on Cerny's presentation he is talking exclusively about games being boosted by PS5's additional resources; not the amount of playable games.

CRAIG667

i mean, duh. this is how it works with literally every single BC system ever. it isn't going to play 100% of all games right out of the box. having that expectation is pretty silly, given how BC has worked in every other real world instance. sometimes, the older games work right away. sometimes they don't, the faster framerate breaks physics, etc. so the games need to be patched. they do this on xbox.

i dunno, some people freaking out right now are on this "all or nothing" trip. they won't be happy until it plays every single game released in the past 25 years. that's a pretty silly expectation.

LOL, the XSX LITERALLY runs EVERY SINGLE game that the Xbox One runs!!!

So yeh.

No.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think we should wait until a proper reveal, this presentation obviously wasn't the time or place for BC talk.

• Thoughtful
the blog post:

Yea thats correct for blog post but when cerny was talking he said there is legacy mode for ps4 and pro and then there is boost mode with high clock of 2.3ghz clock which 100 games have been tested etc...

Very weird messaging misstep in my opinion

• Thoughtful

TLZ

Banned
Yea their messaging confused me. I watched and read again and again. I also think what they mean is, through boost mode, PS5's much higher frequency, some games might not run properly. Therefore they're testing them all. Then they picked the top 100 based on playtime for testing using PS5's boost mode, and they expect most of those ones to be playable at launch. It doesn't mean ONLY those will be available at launch. It just means everything will be available, but usage of PS5's boost mode won't be perfect, and expect some games to maybe have issues, just like Pro's Boost mode (even though I never had issues thankfully and it's always on).

Their messaging should've been clearer IMO to avoid this confusion, as many people are thinking only those 100 are expected to be available at launch.

I hope their next video addressed to the average Joe fans have clear messaging to clear all this up and leave no room for confusion.

Last edited:
Yea their messaging confused me. I watched and read again and again. I also think what they mean is, through boost mode, PS5's much higher frequency, some games might not run properly. Therefore they're testing them all. Then they picked the top 100 based on playtime for testing using PS5's boost mode, and they expect most of those ones to be playable at launch. It doesn't mean ONLY those will be available at launch. It just means everything will be available, but usage of PS5's boost mode won't be perfect, and expect some games to maybe have issues, just like Pro's Boost mode (even though I never had issues thankfully and it's always on).

Their messaging should've been clearer IMO to avoid this confusion, as many people are thinking only those 100 are expected to be available at launch.

I hope their next video addressed to the average Joe fans have clear messaging to clear all this up and leave no room for confusion.
Someone should ask them for clarification imo.

Yes. I was hoping Richard did since he had an interview with Cerny. I hope it's mentioned in the next DF video.
Yea. Its weird to say there is ps4 and pro legacy mode and have gpu frequency of ps4 and pro baked in gpu to mimick them then say fuck it lets just use the ps5 clock .

I thought they would handle it like pro. Ps4 games would run legacy mode and pro mimicks ps4 hardware and if u wanna use boost mode they warn you some games might break (but non really did )

TLZ

Banned
Yea. Its weird to say there is ps4 and pro legacy mode and have gpu frequency of ps4 and pro baked in gpu to mimick them then say fuck it lets just use the ps5 clock .

I thought they would handle it like pro. Ps4 games would run legacy mode and pro mimicks ps4 hardware and if u wanna use boost mode they warn you some games might break (but non really did )
Exactly.

FranXico

People have really short memories. In the past, the PS3 did not have 100% backwards compatibility with the PS2 either. Hardware based BC has a potential for better compatibility than emulation, but cannot guarantee that every single title will work either. But we're talking about 95 to 99 percent rather than 85 to 90 (example numbers pulled out of my arse).

Anybody who tells you 100% backwards compatibility is promising something they cannot possibly guarantee.

Licensing issues aside, of course.

FranXico

I think they are running those tests so the system can look up the game ID and decide wether to turn boost on for you.

I think they are running those tests so the system can look up the game ID and decide wether to turn boost on for you.
Yea like pro and boost mode .but you can turn the boost mode off and have ps4 legacy on pro and play the games as well. The blog post make it seem like boost mode has to be on

FranXico

Dont worry it will come when sony realizes they fucked it up.

Prolly with the ps5 pro
Oh they already know they fucked up. They're bracing themselves for launch. For all we know, they're already negotiating the PS5 Pro with AMD.

The compatibility messaging is a total balls up. Not since Xbox One was the messaging so poor.

Millions of PS4 users with massive digital libraries are looking for clarity here - instead they get mumbo jumbo.

I'll settle for Boost mode on = needs testing
Boost Mode off = 100% works

If compatibility is a crap shoot no matter what, than Sony needs to re-evaluate their approach and fuck right off.
Is Microsoft providing more clarity in this case? Cant remember

Shmunter

I’ve had the opportunity to rewatch Cerny press conference. The 100 titles is most definitely related to the boost mode, no doubt about it. We can rest easy, PS4/Pro legacy modes are not part of the 100 titles discussion. He talks about Bc being baked in and it’s in for good and then, Quoting...

Running ps4 and pro titles at boosted frequencies has added complexity, the boost is massive this time and some game code just can’t handle it, testing has to be done on a title by title basis, results are excellent tho. We recently had a look at the top 100...etc.”

Close thread, or start new one where this is clarified because this is causing a great deal of confusion, even for ps blog themselves with misleading summary..

lynux3

AFAIK, it is exactly how you're thinking.

Mark Cerny: "The logic and feature set that PS4 and PS4 Pro titles rely on is still available in backwards compatibility modes [on PS5]."

There's no reason to believe full backwards compatibility isn't there, but there is reason to believe that not all games will work with PS5's boost mode.

AFAIK, it is exactly how you're thinking.

Mark Cerny: "The logic and feature set that PS4 and PS4 Pro titles rely on is still available in backwards compatibility modes [on PS5]."

There's no reason to believe full backwards compatibility isn't there, but there is reason to believe that not all games will work with PS5's boost mode.
Yea thats what I assumed . But even the blog shits the bed haha. Their PR and marketing has been quite bad in the past few months .thats for sure

Shmunter

Is Microsoft providing more clarity in this case? Cant remember
Lol, done and done. Was just a matter of re listening to what was actually said. Nothing to see here, all ps4 games will work out of the box. The boost is optional and identical to how pro handles it today.

What's all the panic about? It was revealed a minimum of top 100 most played games of PS4 gen will support PS5 Boost Mode, which leaves rest of the games offered via PS4 legacy mode and legacy pro mode chip capabilities in the PS5. PS5 is backwards compatible and Sony is evaluating if there are any exceptional scenarios in a particular PS4 game which ends up not running on PS5. What's the fuss all about?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sony is totally fucking up the messaging - this is what happens when your product doesn't meet expectations and you are forced to be obtuse about your product's capabilities to avoid direct comparison with your competitor.

Here is the transcript of what cerny says:

" ps5 is backward compatible with ps4, what does that mean? One way you can achieve it is to put previous console chipset in new console (ps3 part not relevant here ),
A better way is to incorporate any difference in previous console logic into the new custom chip .meaning that even as the tech evolves the logic and feature set that ps4 and ps4 pro titles rely on is still fully available in Backwards compatibility legacy modes."
"Running ps4 and pro titles at boosted frequencies has added complexity, the boost is massive this time and some game code just can’t handle it, testing has to be done on a title by title basis, results are excellent tho. We recently had a look at the top 100...etc.”

again what verny talks about here sounds like all games are BC in legacy mode and for boost mode they need to be tested like the ps4 pro

UnNamed

Banned
Am I the only one who think 100 games are just the games they tested and was not intended as "up to 100 games at launch"?

Last edited:

Filippos

Banned
Here is the transcript of what cerny says:

" ps5 is backward compatible with ps4, what does that mean? One way you can achieve it is to put previous console chipset in new console (ps3 part not relevant here ),
A better way is to incorporate any difference in previous console logic into the new custom chip .meaning that even as the tech evolves the logic and feature set that ps4 and ps4 pro titles rely on is still fully available in Backwards compatibility legacy modes."
"Running ps4 and pro titles at boosted frequencies has added complexity, the boost is massive this time and some game code just can’t handle it, testing has to be done on a title by title basis, results are excellent tho. We recently had a look at the top 100...etc.”

again what verny talks about here sounds like all games are BC in legacy mode and for boost mode they need to be tested like the ps4 pro

Yes. He talks like that. But the blog post says otherwise, hence the confusion.
I fully trust Cerny much more than a blog post. Still, would love some clarification, just to make sure.

lynux3

Am I the only one who think 100 games are just the games they tested and was not intended as "up to 100 games at launch"?
Those 100 games are tested in boost mode only. Games supporting this boost mode require more attention; however, legacy mode supports all PS4/PS4 Pro games.

Mod of War Mod of War Can you please lock or update thread title to reflect accurately.

Those 100 games are tested in boost mode only. Games supporting this boost mode require more attention; however, legacy mode supports all PS4/PS4 Pro games.

Mod of War Mod of War Can you please lock or update thread title to reflect accurately.

I feel we need to wait for sony clarification tomorrow before locking this thread honestly

Filippos

Banned

Then explain why the official Sony BLOG POST says this:

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...ls-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5.
So, not even the top 100 will be playable on PS5.
They are NOT saying: "almost all of the top 100 will support BOOST MODE ON PS5", they straight out say "PLAYABLE".

They even go further:

With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

So that means, each game has to be tested IN ORDER TO BE COVERED. Not tested? --> NOT covered.

Again, the Blog Post could be wrong, but currently this is the official answer from Sony.

Where did Cerny say that ALL PS4 games will be supported on PS5 also in NON-Boost Mode?

Last edited:

Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...ls-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

They are NOT saying: "almost all of the top 100 will support BOOST MODE ON PS5", they straight out say "PLAYABLE".

They even go further:

So that means, each game has to be tested IN ORDER TO BE COVERED. Not tested? --> NOT covered.

Again, the Blog Post could be wrong, but currently this is the official answer from Sony.

Where did Cerny say that ALL PS4 games will be supported on PS5 also in NON-Boost Mode?
True their official channel needs to be fixed first. My question is if all games have to run at ps5 clock of 2.3 ghz then what the fuck is ps4 legacy mode and ps4 pro legacy mode ? Why even put those frequencies in the chip ?

tGve8Rr.jpg

Kokoloko85

Nowhere says all PS4 as backwards compatible and only top 100 are being tested for PS5 boost mode. And Im a deep Sony Pony.
Maybe the PR team needs to be fired. Damn whoever is in charge of there presentations since PS4 Pro needs to check themselves lol

Filippos

Banned
True their official channel needs to be fixed first. My question is if all games have to run at ps5 clock of 2.3 ghz then what the fuck is ps4 legacy mode and ps4 pro legacy mode ? Why even put those frequencies in the chip ?

tGve8Rr.jpg

yeah, doesnt make any sense.

I think what the blog post actually want to say:

BOOT mode is not available for all games. Needs to be tested, of course all games will be playable on PS5, but they will look and run the same as in PS4 and PS4 Pro.

but currently - it doesn't say that, but I think we WILL get a clarification.

Last edited:
yeah, doesnt make any sense.

I think what the blog post actually want to say:

BOOT mode is not available for all games. Needs to be tested, of course all games will be playable on PS5, but they will look and run the same as in PS4 and PS4 Pro.

but currently - it doesn't say that, but I think we WILL get a clarification.
Yeah their pr team needs to be fired for this shit lol

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’ve had the opportunity to rewatch Cerny press conference. The 100 titles is most definitely related to the boost mode, no doubt about it. We can rest easy, PS4/Pro legacy modes are not part of the 100 titles discussion. He talks about Bc being baked in and it’s in for good and then, Quoting...

Running ps4 and pro titles at boosted frequencies has added complexity, the boost is massive this time and some game code just can’t handle it, testing has to be done on a title by title basis, results are excellent tho. We recently had a look at the top 100...etc.”

Close thread, or start new one where this is clarified because this is causing a great deal of confusion, even for ps blog themselves with misleading summary..

The PS blog does not mention boost mode. All of the news sites say only 100 games will be BC at launch. At this point it is more likely that only 100 games are BC at launch. It sounds to me more like the thing automatically boosts everything and they have to certify and tweak games before they will be playable. If everything was automatically BC I’m sure Sony would have shouted that or corrected all the press by now that is saying only 100 will be BC at launch.

If Sony doesn’t issue a correction today it most likely means their BC program is as shitty as it sounds.

Last edited:
The PS blog does not mention boost mode. All of the news sites say only 100 games will be BC at launch. At this point it is more likely that only 100 games are BC at launch. It sounds to me more like the thing automatically boosts everything and they have to certify and tweak games before they will be playable. If everything was automatically BC I’m sure Sony would have shouted that or corrected all the press by now that is saying only 100 will be BC at launch.

If Sony doesn’t issue a correction today it most likely means their BC program is as shitty as it sounds.
Yea if they don't fix you are right .

I just find it weird that they bake ps4 and pro frequency into the chip and yet everything has to run in ps5 2.3ghz freq. Like if thats the case why does the chip has 800mhz and 900 mhz clocks ? Whats the point of those 2 legacy mode frequencies ? Something doesn't add up .weird

Shmunter

What the fuck did I just transcribe? Ps blog has got it wrong. And it’s easy to see why, the BC talk flowed on too fast from the one topic to the other. Threw me first time. Listening a second time it’s obvious it’s boost only for the testing of the 100 titles and unrelated to actual BC.

The only thing left to argue is if Cerny got it wrong, which is not very likely, just as shoddy BC is not very likely. This thread is categorically redundant. .

lynux3

They even go further:

If you watch the video you'll understand. I can't help you otherwise.

lynux3

I feel we need to wait for sony clarification tomorrow before locking this thread honestly
Sure, but it comes right out of Mark Cerny's mouth. I mean if you can't take that as truth then I guess he's lying again. *shrug*
Nowhere says all PS4 as backwards compatible and only top 100 are being tested for PS5 boost mode. And Im a deep Sony Pony.
Maybe the PR team needs to be fired. Damn whoever is in charge of there presentations since PS4 Pro needs to check themselves lol
He says the following, "the logic and feature set that PS4 and PS4 Pro titles rely on is still available in backwards compatibility modes [on PS5]."

I encourage you to watch the video. It is time marked where he begins talking about backwards compatibility.

It's very clear the distinction of when he's talking about legacy mode and the "100 game" boost mode features.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
What the fuck did I just transcribe? Ps blog has got it wrong. And it’s easy to see why, the BC talk flowed on too fast from the one topic to the other. Threw me first time. Listening a second time it’s obvious it’s boost only for the testing of the 100 titles and unrelated to actual BC.

The only thing left to argue is if Cerny got it wrong, which is not very likely, just as shoddy BC is not very likely. This thread is categorically redundant. .

Iv5ahk6.png

I actually enjoyed the Cerny talk, but Sony's decision to talk too much about the console and its design before unveiling it to a mass audience is, well, mind boggling.
Last time they did so well with a big PS4 reveal that talked about the specs, the features and the games. Now they've just been tapering things out.

If they weren't winning on power, at least they should have had a presentation that fronted the benefit, game announcements, as well as possibly being ahead on the price. Perhaps special benefits to the PS5's backwards compatibility, could've been a feature to counter the negative aspect that all PS4 games won't be playable at launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom