• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

They are a hardware company at heart, BC is a software problem unless you stay on the same architecture (Jaguar/GCN).

I'm starting to think full PS4 BC was present on pre-Oberon, but once they switched to Oberon they switched to RDNA2 which might've disrupted BC stability with Ariel GPU. Probably why regression tests were being ran with Ariel iGPU profile on Oberon, to test for compatibility and see what they could get working on silicon that removed most of the GCN silicon Sony was relying on for BC through Ariel.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised it's only 100 off the bat; a lot of those are gonna be annual sports games people likely won't be replaying anyway, if they're going by just the most popular/best-selling games. So that's probably like 60-70 of them being non-sports titles.

Dane

I'm starting to think full PS4 BC was present on pre-Oberon, but once they switched to Oberon they switched to RDNA2 which might've disrupted BC stability with Ariel GPU. Probably why regression tests were being ran with Ariel iGPU profile on Oberon, to test for compatibility and see what they could get working on silicon that removed most of the GCN silicon Sony was relying on for BC through Ariel.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised it's only 100 off the bat; a lot of those are gonna be annual sports games people likely won't be replaying anyway, if they're going by just the most popular/best-selling games. So that's probably like 60-70 of them being non-sports titles.

If they go with the xbox one path, there won't be annual sports games backwards compatible, but rather the single player and MP ones.

Shmunter

He mentioned the massive boost leap being the comparability red herring, or did I misinterpret it?

So is boost mode ON requiring compatibility testing, and not in OFF mode.

Yes, unclear wtf is going on.

So there doing a top 100 based on play time welp rip indies, AA games and very niche japanese games I guess gravity rush 1 and 2, tales of V and b, Almost all anime fighters, all ys games and museo games arent happening.

GreatnessRD

I'm so sadden to see that we're getting mediocre backwards compatibility. I just knew Sony would be going balls to the wall on adding PS1,2 and possibly 3 with FULL PS4 compatibility. The announcement today shocked me just as much when Stone Cold joined up with Vince McMahon.

Filippos

Banned
Wait. What now? I thought ALL Ps4 games will be playable in legacy mode.
only The boost mode doesn’t work for all games but they still can be played in legacy mode ?

Filippos

Banned
just saw the blog. It’s truly a case by case Basis.
Every SINGLE game needs To be tested and manually implemented.
this is just beyond stupid. Especially since MS supports ALL Xbox one games right out of the box.
+ a lot of OG Xbox and Xbox 360 Games

prag16

Banned
... I mean, are they NOT going to allow us to play the ones that haven't been formally tested? This shouldn't be hard. They should all just work (with very very rare exceptions). If they lock me out of my more niche games because they "haven't been tested" that'll certainly deter me from upgrading.

Every SINGLE game needs To be tested and manually implemented.

If that's the case... I mean.... how could they fuck that up so horrendously? Absolutely ridiculous. It makes sense for 360 BC on xbone, but not here. Outrageous.

Last edited:

Filippos

Banned
Minority as in, not the majority. The term is not inherently racial lol
its a big deal. Especially in the messaging:

MS: we believe in investment protection and Legacy. PLAY ALL your Xbox one games. And the BEST Xbox 360, and OG Xbox games FOR FREE.
PS5: some, but not all of your PS4 games will work. No ps1,2 and 3. sorry.

and especially at the beginning of the gen,this will make a huge difference. There are not many games at the beginning of the gen.
so basically, series X will start with much much more games compared to PS5. it also shows that investing in the Xbox ecosystem is more worth it than PS

Last edited:

slade

The news about BC, more then anything else, soured my outlook on PS5. I've got a sizeable library on PS4. If nothing else, all of Sony's exclusives better work.

I'll wait and see how all this shakes out before I purchase this thing.

Shmunter

The compatibility messaging is a total balls up. Not since Xbox One was the messaging so poor.

Millions of PS4 users with massive digital libraries are looking for clarity here - instead they get mumbo jumbo.

I'll settle for Boost mode on = needs testing
Boost Mode off = 100% works

If compatibility is a crap shoot no matter what, than Sony needs to re-evaluate their approach and fuck right off.

Wait a minute, so let me get this straight.

So Sony has to individually add function for each and every game independently for it to run on the system similar to the backward compatibility system for the Xbox One with 360 games? Is that what this is saying because that looks like what this is saying.

Yikes... I can understand this for the Xbox One and 360 games, but for PlayStation 4 games? That's a disaster which is made even worse because all Xbox One games will just work on the Series X no questions asked...

Dane

Wait a minute, so let me get this straight.

So Sony has to individually add function for each and every game independently for it to run on the system similar to the backward compatibility system for the Xbox One with 360 games? Is that what this is saying because that looks like what this is saying.

Yikes... I can understand this for the Xbox One and 360 games, but for PlayStation 4 games? That's a disaster which is made even worse because all Xbox One games will just work on the Series X no questions asked...

It seems so from the official information, sounds like they are getting the most played games first.

Filippos

Banned
The compatibility messaging is a total balls up. Not since Xbox One was the messaging so poor.

Millions of PS4 users with massive digital libraries are looking for clarity here - instead they get mumbo jumbo.

I'll settle for Boost mode on = needs testing
Boost Mode off = 100% works

If compatibility is a crap shoot no matter what, than Sony needs to re-evaluate their approach and fuck right off.
They already made it clear:
We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

So: is your Game in the top 100 by playtime? It will probably work.
Is it not? It will work NOT work at launch. We will expand the catalogue over time.

what is still Open: disc based? Digital? How does it work? Only digital? Not sure yet.

lynux3

I thought only the top 100 games were working in PS5's "Boost Mode" and then some were "too fast" and didn't work right. Everything else is done through legacy modes. Pretty sure PS5 is fully backward compatible with PS4 except for the "Boost Mode" feature (ala PS4 Pro).

Discusguy

The company that lets you trade physical games with your friends doesn’t really want you to bring your games with you to the new console. I can’t even.

Shmunter

They already made it clear:
We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

So: is your Game in the top 100 by playtime? It will probably work.
Is it not? It will work NOT work at launch. We will expand the catalogue over time.

what is still Open: disc based? Digital? How does it work? Only digital? Not sure yet.
Yes yes, but he also mentioned the much faster boost being an issue. Hence the lack of complete clarity on what BC will look like.

Filippos

Banned
Yes yes, but he also mentioned the much faster boost being an issue. Hence the lack of complete clarity on what BC will look like.

With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Sounds to me that all games that are not tested are „outside of the backwards compatibility coverage“.
Note they didn’t say „boost support“, they said „backwards compatibility coverage“.

it’s pretty clear. But we will see. There will be more clarification.

Shmunter

With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Sounds to me that all games that are not tested are „outside of the backwards compatibility coverage“.
Note they didn’t say „boost support“, they said „backwards compatibility coverage“.

it’s pretty clear. But we will see. There will be more clarification.
Can you quote the boost bit also? Unable to review the video atm myself.

Rest assured, I’m as concerned as you are.

Shantae

Banned
I’d be pissed if I had a sizeable digital library on PS4 and heard this. I feel bad for anyone that invested heavily into a digital library just to get told its basically useless going forward.
I'm already feeling that, and hey Sony saved me money from even caring about getting a PS5. Just stick with my PS4 Pro for the foreseeable future.

Pallas

Before I write about my feelings toward PS4 compatibility, what does this mean for PSVR compatibility?

Damn, I was really hoping it would be fully compatible with the PS4 and at least PS1-PS2. Should had kept my expectations in check back when it was reported that they were having some issues with backwards compatibility.. I guess I can at least hope that we can get digital versions of PS1-3 on PSN and not some water down shit that the PSN store had for the PS4.

Filippos

Banned
Can you quote the boost bit also? Unable to review the video atm myself.

Rest assured, I’m as concerned as you are.

this is directly from the Blog:

But I think the blog is wrong. All PS4 games will be supported. Only boost mode not all games, then those will just use legacy mode.
I hope so at least. But the blog post doesn’t say that though. But we will see.
Still plenty of time to clarify.

bender

What time is it?
Wrote about this in another thread, but part of the reason I was okay with the PS4 not being backward compatible with PS3 (and to a lesser extent PS1-2) is that Cerny was breaking free of Kutaragi's elaborate designs in order to make development easier but also with the forethought to make future games backward compatible. This really feels half baked. The most disappointing news from Mark's presentation.

LMJ

Based on the video I saw, it looks like mark cerny said that the playstation 5 would be backwards compatible with the PS4 and only boost mode is currently limited to 100, the problem is the wording is very vague and could easily be misinterpreted hell lol I might be misinterpreting it...

That having been said will you people calm the hell down?

It has been literally less than a day since this news was made on a pre-recorded freaking video, I'm sure based on the feedback Sony will make it clear whether or not it is 100 BC games at launch or all games and only a 100 have boost mode...

Christ the hyperbole and fanboyism on the site is becoming intolerable!

this is directly from the Blog:

But I think the blog is wrong. All PS4 games will be supported. Only boost mode not all games, then those will just use legacy mode.
I hope so at least. But the blog post doesn’t say that though. But we will see.
Still plenty of time to clarify.
I feel like if this was true Sony would have come out already and cleared things up immediately, the longer they stay silent the more likely its the worse scenario.

If MS have full BC with Xbone, 360 and OG, with enhancements, and Sony has at best full PS4 BC, then Sony need to poach some of MSs back compat team real quickly.

Three

Devs didn't have to make the 360 games BC at all. The publisher just had to allow MS make the files available.
MS had to make them BC. They had to test and apply fixes. Though sometimes they would just releasewith some ridiculous bugs.

Haha "Boost Mode" ?!?

ffJx1rM.jpg

embarrassing xbox will play lastgen games at 4k/60fps, mean while ps5 we will support 100 games with out improvements, and the games are based on people playing online the most???

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F51230637%2F244136203910%2F1%2Foriginal.jpg

Well lads, I guess I'm out. its was great following gaming in modern times. Its a shame they neglect BC to their legacy libraries and I'm really not tempted to rebuy them on the PS5 PSN store if that's the alternative they'll offer.

Last edited:

The Shepard

So I'm guessing sony still haven't clarified the backwards compatible situation? I keep reading different things. If they can only get 100 games working for launch, then how many years will it take for most ps4 games.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don’t use BC so for me it is fine but I can see some minority getting mad about how they are doing it.
its not really BC here its continuing to have access to your currently library of games. lets say you play a lot of rocket league but that won't be comparable for 6 months what do you do? unplug your new console and plug in your old console? while across on the other console everything works across the board from day 1

autoduelist

Not sure what is accurate about BC at the moment:

Cerny said "most of the top 100" Ps4 games will be playable at release. How does everyone feel about this? I thought most PS4 games would be playable. :(

I took it to mean "almost all of the top 100" that they tested were compatible out of the gate... plus potentially tons not tested yet. That is, if almost all of the top 100 work, i'm sure almost all will, they just need testing.

Business

The way I understood it was that the "100 games thing" was for when running PS5 Native mode.
When running PS4 Pro or PS4 mode everything should just work.

At least that's how I interpreted what was said.

It‘s possible because otherwise why mention the speed problems with boost mode (native) and then also mentioning the legacy modes. Either way they should have done a much better job explaining that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don’t use BC so for me it is fine but I can see some minority getting mad about how they are doing it.
It's not a minority issue just look at how popular simple remasters became this gen and how people cheer older IP's coming back. Having BC is important, especially if your previous console doesn't have an entirely different architecture like with the PS3.

Top Bottom