• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

Hotspurr

Banned
I think people won't care that much about PS1-3, most good games got remasters, remakes or updated collections.
But not being able to upscale all PS4 games and give them new life at higher fps? Damn. If Xbox SX does it properly this is a huge boost. I'll still have a rather meaty backlog of games that I'd love to try on a more powerful console if there will be performance benefits.

Shin

Banned
The biggest fail so far. It should have at least full PS4 BC. Not just some PS4 games.

This messes things up for me as I was looking forward to playing PS4 games on PS5 (I skipped console gaming completely this generation).
Didn't expect them to mess things up in such a fashion, almost 100 games of which they get to choose isn't acceptable out of 4000+.
We laughed and ignored Xbox's effort with BC, but it became a valuable asset for current as well as those jumping in with XS.

Mochilador

I think people won't care that much about PS1-3, most good games got remasters, remakes or updated collections.
But not being able to upscale all PS4 games and give them new life at higher fps? Damn. If Xbox SX does it properly this is a huge boost. I'll still have a rather meaty backlog of games that I'd love to try on a more powerful console if there will be performance benefits.
Wait up, will the games look the same? No improvement at all?

toker818

Banned
lmao oh sony no wonder you didn't want to show the ps5 it lacks a lot features and power, this thing better be $400 or less lol

-Troid-

Banned
PS3 BC would've been tight. Maybe they'll add PS1-3 in some capacity gradually over time?

Not a good look starting out compared to XSX though

postaboy

This messes things up for me as I was looking forward to playing PS4 games on PS5 (I skipped console gaming completely this generation).
Didn't expect them to mess things up in such a fashion, almost 100 games of which they get to choose isn't acceptable out of 4000+.
We laughed and ignored Xbox's effort with BC, but it became a valuable asset for current as well as those jumping in with XS.

Xbox One BC is still eh. It's not full 100% BC like everyone here claimed it would be someday. I'm actually still waiting for Silent Hill HD collection to run properly on XB1. The game is literally unplayable and I don't understand why Microsoft have it under their working BC list.

mcz117chief

Considering how much time I spend playing PS4 (almost zero) there is less and less reason to buy a PS5 anymore. Most (all?) the best games on PS4 are available on PC anyway. Definitely all I am looking at here except Dragon's Crown and a few niche games I could live without.

frogger

DF was saying that Microsoft told them, they plan to use XSX chip in cloud and 1 XSX chip can support up to 4 instances of Xbox one.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Give me Gravity Rush remastered and 2 for play in ps5. I dont care If God of War, TLOU Part 2 or Horizon are compatibles.

Just give me my Gravity rush games compatibles. Its all that i ask

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have been hearing conflicting stuff here. Is PS5 fully bc, but only select games will feature improvements or is it only partially bc?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have been hearing conflicting stuff here. Is PS5 fully bc, but only select games will feature improvements or is it only partially bc?

Their blog says around 100 titles will be BC at launch with more added over time.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Their blog says around 100 titles will be BC at launch with more added over time.
That's not how I understood it and what Cerny said. I'll copy paste what I said in another thread.

I understood it'll be BC with all, and they worked hard with AMD to achieve 100% BC with Pro and PS4. But as usual because of much higher frequencies, there might be some little hiccups here and there, like Pro's Boost mode for PS4. And so far they've tested the top 100 games and have had 0 issues. So that's a great sign.

So basically, what they're saying is, all your games should work. They tested the top 100 and work flawlessly, and they'll continue testing the rest.

kiphalfton

As expected. BC is not easy. Also licenses. MS has a massive headstart here. PS5 BC will be like OG Xbox BC on Xbox 360. No enhancements either.

Fuck licensing. This is why I miss PS2 era, cuz it's not like they can remove content through a patch. Also I miss the PS2 as it didn't have gimped BC.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That's not how I understood it and what Cerny said. I'll copy paste what I said in another thread.

I understood it'll be BC with all, and they worked hard with AMD to achieve 100% BC with Pro and PS4. But as usual because of much higher frequencies, there might be some little hiccups here and there, like Pro's Boost mode for PS4. And so far they've tested the top 100 games and have had 0 issues. So that's a great sign.

So basically, what they're saying is, all your games should work. They tested the top 100 and work flawlessly, and they'll continue testing the rest.

This is what the write up from Sony says. They haven't updated or clarified any of this. I'm assuming the silence means their BC isn't that great. If it was they would have clearly said it will be BC with almost everything. Maybe they will clarify soon.

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Shifty1897

Not sure what is accurate about BC at the moment:

Cerny said "most of the top 100" Ps4 games will be playable at release. How does everyone feel about this? I thought most PS4 games would be playable. :(

Most will be playable, but this is new architecture that runs through a million lines of code per game and all it takes is one line to be interpreted incorrectly to break. Some games might trigger something in a certain order based off of load times, which will be virtually non-existent on the PS5 and could break something. That's why they're testing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems like the same Sony people who came in to the Xbox BC OT back in the day to shit it up with their "nobody wants to play old games" rhetoric are back in full force now that they've more or less confirmed the PS5 will have limited backwards compatibility.

Kenpachii

Terrible, if you want your online platform to be taken seriously you need BC simple as that. they should have gone full BC with PS4. I guess they there coding to the metal ideology for 2 more frames didn't pan out to well for them at the end.

How is this even still a thing for such company's in 2020 is just mind boggling to me.

Reactions: RSB
Not BC with every prior console is bullshit and I've lost all interest now "backwards compatible with x amount of PS4 games" is just bullshit.

Do they expect me to stream PS1 through to PS3 games on their PSNOW? because that aint fucking happening.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Terrible, if you want your online platform to be taken seriously you need BC simple as that. they should have gone full BC with PS4. I guess they there coding to the metal ideology for 2 more frames didn't pan out to well for them at the end.

How is this even still a thing for such company's in 2020 is just mind boggling to me.
This is my thought as well. This is a huge contrast to Xbox's "just go ahead and plug in your Xbox One's USB HDD and those games you already own and have installed will be immediately playable, including Xbox 360 and Xbox OG games". I've been buying my multiplats on Xbox digitally for the past few years (because the One X is better and significantly quieter than my PS4 Pro) so it's nice to know that my purchases will still be playable on the new hardware.

This is disappointing because I usually avoid the "most played games" (Call of Duty, sportsballs, FPS games) which means my PS4 digital purchases will probably mostly not be compatible. And no word yet on disc-based BC, as my PS4 collection is mostly about 300 physical PS4 games to go along with my 400+ digital games. Seems like Sony wants me to completely jump ship on the PS5, and just keep my PS4 hooked up to play my existing games while enjoying new stuff on the Xbox. Which is what I'm planning on doing at this point

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I told you all what a stupid idea backwards compatibility was. EAT IT! ALL OF YOU EAT IT!

Stop asking for stupid things, go buy a PS4 if you want old games
100 PS4 games is a start. They are partially committed.

I think what happened was Cerny spoke up... Let's do BC! But than Jim Ryan shot him down...... But who wants to waste time playing old games?

So they met in the middle.

drganon

This sucks. I wasn't expecting ps1/ps2/ps3 compatibility, but limited ps4 compatibility it sounds like? I placed my expectations low as I could, and they still found a way to disappoint me.

I was on Team PS5 because I have a shit load of digital PS4 games ready to go.

I have no large investments in the Xbox ecosystem. Hence, I was leaning more towards PS5 (Probably won't now).

Yet again, I have to repeat myself for people on this forum: IT'S OKAY TO CRITICISE A COMPANY YOU LIKE.
My bad, mate!

Please pre-order the PS5 :messenger_loudly_crying:

Dane

100 PS4 games is a start. They are partially committed.

I think what happened was Cerny spoke up... Let's do BC! But than Jim Ryan shot him down...... But who wants to waste time playing old games?

So they met in the middle.

When Jim Ryan was speaking at the opening, I could notice from his face that they fucked up.

BC not being full or very far even in the x86 architecture is not a good sign, just like the hyper clock, I fear It could be unreliable.

If Microsoft would even want to ruin further, they just have to say that all Xbox and Xbox 360 games are BC

That has to be the strangest thing - one of the STATED goals was backward compatibility.... but it also depends what proportin of games it is, the guy is clearly not a PR person (which is why I like him).

1 - MS calls their spotty support of 360/OG xbox backward compatibility
2 - I would love Sony to offer transparent upgrades to older games (HDR + resolution upgrade)
3 - I hope Sony delivers their true next gen games in a way that makes it obvious that could not be done by simply upgrading existing games with shiny stuff

MS would not have cared to say if their backward compatibility.

At least MS showed some games, even if they are old.

sublimit

Banned
PS3 BC would've been tight. Maybe they'll add PS1-3 in some capacity gradually over time?

Not a good look starting out compared to XSX though
They will not. Unless they get a slap in the face similar to what MS got this gen.

Last edited:
This is disappointing because I usually avoid the "most played games" (Call of Duty, sportsballs, FPS games) which means my PS4 digital purchases will probably mostly not be compatible. And no word yet on disc-based BC, as my PS4 collection is mostly about 300 physical PS4 games to go along with my 400+ digital games. Seems like Sony wants me to completely jump ship on the PS5, and just keep my PS4 hooked up to play my existing games while enjoying new stuff on the Xbox. Which is what I'm planning on doing at this point
My impression was that they used the top 100 games as a test bed, to verify how compatibility fared... so everything else just works... I hope I am right.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

MS did amazing things with BC and changed expectations from it. But I still have to keep my 360 hooked up since a favorite game like NCAA Football will never be BC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom