• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

sublimit

Banned
Yup, this is a dealbreaker. Backwards compatibility is huge for me, and I'm grateful that at least one of the big three shares my priorities.

I can't wait to play Blinx: The Timesweeper day one on my Series X.

Thanks Phil! 🙂
I wouldn't say it's a dealbreaker for me although it still is disappointing. I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated gaming room with all my past consoles (hooked on their appropriate tvs) but of course i would have appreciated it if the PS5 was fully BC with all previous gens. That would have been a nice back-up especially if all the games were HD enhanced.

Kokoloko85

it doesn't play every single game released on a Sony console in the past 25 years, therefore it is a failure /s

I was expecting just PS4 games at least which is fine for me, which means I can give my PS4 away.
And maybe they will announce PS1-PS2 games for later. They havent even showed the controller or games, features lol

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Someone edited the thread title and now it doesn't match Sony's own blog post. Their blog doesn't mention boost mode at all. It just mentions games being playable.

intbal

The price is indeed a significant factor.... But... Didn't the Xbox One X outsell the PS4 Pro?
And what about features? Because Xbox BC for one, is at this point superior. And it is an important one.
Until now, what has been shown for the XSX is simply superior to what has been shown for the PS5. Both on paper, and in terms of amount of things we got to see.

First impressions are important. Don't underestimate it. It's basically what "killed" the Xbox One. They failed at the announcement and the PS4 won that whole generation because of it.

It all means almost nothing to me. I've been disappointed since the 7th generation ended. 6th gen contained the type of gaming that I like most. 7th gen was pretty good, too. I really don't like most modern game design. I only bought an Xbox One for the backwards compatibility, and that ended up being too limited.
I'll probably pick up a Series X in a few years when the price has dropped significantly. Unless they announce that the full OG and 360 libraries are compatible right away. In which case I'll get one as soon as possible, regardless of price.

As for 9th gen, I think Sony is in a pretty good position if thier machine is cheaper. Because I can't tell the difference at all between 1440p and 2160p. I bet most people are the same. Take away those single frame "resolution counting" videos and very few people would ever suspect that the PS4 Pro has a 42% power deficit to the Xbox One X. Resolution just doesn't matter that much. Framerate, on the other hand...

nordique

This is a big disappointment for me

PlayStation 4 has been my go-to Home console platform And I have a huge backlog of current gen games I was hoping to play once my work life settles down later this year.
I hope the games I own as well as Lou2 are part of that “100 games” list.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
So all PS4 games will be BC but only most of the top 100 will have boost mode.
Whats wrong with that?

no PS3, PS2, PS1.

Not the end of the world, i know many people don't care about playing good old games, but still for comparison sake it has to be said it is a feature Xbox offers fully.

Kokoloko85

no PS3, PS2, PS1.

Not the end of the world, i know many people don't care about playing good old games, but still for comparison sake it has to be said it is a feature Xbox offers fully.
Hey Im glad they just added PS4 games the way people are talking.

Hopefully they will mention PS1-PS3 games later or add that later.
Maybe a journalist should ask them. Did they say no to the no?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Wario deleted his tweet and made a new one:

I'll add this info and the info from PSBlog to the OP. This is really confusing messaging.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I'll add this info and the info from PSBlog to the OP. This is really confusing messaging.

Thanks.
Confusing. I have loads of PS4 games I havent started yet and some of them are indies Id like to play on PS5. Hopefully devs and Sony start working on porting everything over, or are in the process

StormCell

Sony is convincing me further that my PS4 Pro will be my platform of choice going into the next gen until I see which platform is really better.

So far, I'm getting really interested in Xbox.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

This reminds me of the PSN name change situation... Sony was preparing for this feature for years and yet they didn't playtest a lot of the games themselves and relied on the betatesters to do that work for them. And some games like Onrush still had your progress being lost if you went through with the id change, because Sony didn't help Codemasters in fixing it.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
This is bad, actually terrible. I thought BC with PS4 was a given, and they even actually went with 36CUs just like with Pro, and turns out BC is still not granted...The way Sony handled PS4 and Pro compatibility already with that "butterfly" design hinted there might be an issue with PS5 BC (and future consoles for the matter), but after all that radio silence they came and basically said that PS5 is a work in progress and will remain so even after its release... If I was MS right now I'd copy that old PS4 game sharing vid and twist it around in regards to BC.

ZehDon

Oh no... BC was supposed to be an easy win for everyone - the basic principle of the change in architecture from exotic to off-the-shelf. Colossal misstep.

Microsoft’s out here handing out free XSX upgrades of Xbone games I already own and full BC for the previous gen, with selected BC for the older generations.

Sony’s out here making sure rain sounds like rain without a loading screen.

Arkam

"most" games being BC would be fine since thats not even what we get on X1 where we get ~40xbox NS ~500X360 (Out of thousands).... and we are pretty happy. If Sony can do about that well I think we will be fine. def would love 100% BC to the beginning... but who has delivered that thus far?

I am certain that hits most of the games we all play anyway.
Stuff like that loli-weeb shit doesnt need to run day one.
O so games that have been on playstation since the psp days are a problem now i dont care about what you want if people want to play those games "love live,hatsum no miku, Senran" thats there business you realize the reason people ask for BC is so they can play niche games right? No one is bring down the door to play another version of a HD remaster of RE4 or skyrim.

What if PS5 is $100 cheaper?
What if it's $200 cheaper?

That matters. A LOT.
Perhaps even more if we enter a Depression due to CV.

Then there's Xbox Lockhart which is cheaper still. PS5 will be perfect if there is an exactly medium-sized depression.

This doesn't change my decision to get a PS5 at launch but it is very disappointing to me. I have over 1,000 games on my PS4 and knowing that barely any of them will work on my PS5 is a bummer. I mean you can pretty much guess that the top 100 most played games is stuff like Fortnite, Apex, various COD's, etc. If you're an indie title you aren't going to be in that list. Also I wouldn't expect to see more added at a good pace given Sony's track record with things like PS2 classics and such. I wouldn't be surprised if you got 10 or less a month and that's being optimistic.

Fbh

Disappointing but as long as they expand the list over time it's not that bad. Specially if it comes with resolution and framerate enhancements.

Do you all think that Bloodborne was one of the top 100 games by playtime?

You'd think so.
Then again Sony couldn't be bothered to even give it a basic resolution enhancement for the Pro so who knows

NickFire

I honestly could care less about PS1-PS3, but I did expect all PS4 games and I now highly doubt that will ever be the case. And that was a really poor decision IMO because existing ties with the eco-system was Sony's game to lose.

Trogdor1123

I'm not buying and hooking up a PS2 and PS3 to my monitor. They will look like shit without spending a lot on upscalers.

I was sold lies about the PS5 being able to play them.
Who sold you them? It wasn't Sony to be fair. They hadn't told us shit till now other than PS4 BC.

I'm pissed too though. The part that really made me mad was that the showed a slide with PS3 and PS2 on it and also talk about deadspace on PS3 but NOPE. No PS3 BC for you! Bait and switch! Well, not really but still questionable judgement. Maybe I'll do a hrtf sound file for them about it!

intbal

Then there's Xbox Lockhart which is cheaper still. PS5 will be perfect if there is an exactly medium-sized depression.

Good point. I keep forgetting about Lockhart. Are we 100% it's a real thing that Microsoft will release?
Honestly, if MS is willing to take a big hit on Lockhart, they could probably just give it away as long as you buy a subscription to Gamepass Ultimate.

Trogdor1123

I fell for all the "Insider" crap that was going around.

To be honest, it didn't seem that far-fetched. But here we are.
Honestly, I kinda did too. I think I wanted it to be true. Especially once ms did 3 generations. It seemed very reasonable to me.

Wasn't the og xbox a disaster to emulate? But they did it. Is the PS3 that much worse?

Hostile_18

Banned
Part of me wants to believe there saving ps1-ps3 announcement for the games conference, the other half tells me they have no clue what there doing.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
No mention of the older consoles whatsoever, and only the top 100 games sort of work apparently.
tenor.gif

Damn. I actually found a box of old PS1 games with Driver, GTA's, etc. I guess it's not the end of the world as I could always just emulate them on PC. Just would like the option. PS5 just isn't hitting me as a must have anymore.

lyan

And that's the crux of the problem. They used vague generalities to describe the featureset which just kept us in the dark and guessing.

If they had full PS4 backwards compatibility, they could have made a statement like Microsoft did: "Your entire library from the PS4 will come with you to the PS5" instead of this "top 100 games" bullshit.
Personally I think they are just being prudent. I still remember when Microsoft claims their surface laptops have 11hours of battery life.

dave_d

Cerny said "most of the top 100" Ps4 games will be playable at release. How does everyone feel about this? I thought most PS4 games would be playable. :(

Very surprised by this. I figured Sony was following the lead of Microsoft Xbox, Apple iPhone, and Google Android in that their new system is really just an upgrade of the previous gen with a faster hardware and some extra features and that they'd get backward compatibility for free.(Kind of how the PS4 Pro is an upgrade PS4 and One X is an upgraded X.) I figured they'd be moving to the PS Forever platform idea(yes my name for it) like Microsofts Xbox Series platform but I guess not.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Cerny defo implied the top 100 were the ENHANCED games not the compatible games.
Just rewatched, and he says "We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by playtime, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch".

So some won't even work, and how many of the top 100 are just FIFA or COD or other soulless franchises? Doesn't leave much room for actual games.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just rewatched, and he says "We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by playtime, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch".

So some won't even work, and how many of the top 100 are just FIFA or COD or other soulless franchises? Doesn't leave much room for actual games.

Omg I was thinking WTF "Playtime" was and why their opinion mattered so much 😂😂.

Shin

Banned
This is really confusing messaging.

I'm at that section of the earlier stream(translated word for word):
So no RT enhancement for PS4 games then and the likes, if I'm reading/hearing it right.

Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity, the boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it.
Testing has to be done on a title by title basis, results are excellent though, we recently took a look at the Top 100 PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by play time and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5.
With regards to new features as I said our strategy was to try break new ground, but at the same time not to require use of the new GPU capabilities.

Top Bottom