• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

FireFly

What? It's the other way around. That's why PS5 is limited, because it has the hardware support and is limited by having to run in compatibility mode. While XSX can use the full XSX GPU to emulate and run Xbox One games built for up to 6 TF.
The XSX isn't running emulation for Xbox One titles.

"It likely comes as no surprise to discover that Series X can technically run the entire Xbox One catalogue, but this time it's done with no emulation layer - it's baked in at the hardware level. "

From what Cerny said, both consoles have dedicated hardware support, but XSX's seems to be more seamless.

Matsuchezz

This isn't a big deal, Xbox One did the same thing for Xbox and 360 games, give them a year and you'll see around 100 PS4 games become compatible.
Actually Mark Cerny said that around 100 games would be compatible at launch, he said the 100 top most played games. I wanted full backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2.

Ar¢tos

Why would there be ps4/ps4pro legacy mode if then they needed per game settings?
I'm sure they meant the boost mode when they talked about the 100 games.

Vol5

Nah they run at accelerated speeds, it was talked about in the stream. That's why it's not full BC from day one because they want to test all the games and make sure there are no oddities when running at faster speeds.

Still doesn't excuse why there will only be 100ish titles considering how long they've had to work on this.

That's not what he said. He said they tested the top 100 games played on PS4. Not "there will be 100 or so games available back-compat"

95% of all PS4 games will work and those that don't will likely be patched.

Last edited:

Mithos

The way I understood it was that the "100 games thing" was for when running PS5 Native mode.
When running PS4 Pro or PS4 mode everything should just work.

At least that's how I interpreted what was said.

johntown

Banned
This was one of the features I was looking forward to the most. It would have even offset the lower performance. They better have some amazing exclusives that are not coming to PC or IMO there is hardly any reason to get a PS5.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The way I understood it was that the "100 games thing" was for when running PS5 Native mode.
When running PS4 Pro or PS4 mode everything should just work.

At least that's how I interpreted what was said.
And that's the crux of the problem. They used vague generalities to describe the featureset which just kept us in the dark and guessing.

If they had full PS4 backwards compatibility, they could have made a statement like Microsoft did: "Your entire library from the PS4 will come with you to the PS5" instead of this "top 100 games" bullshit.

lekain

Neo Member
This indeed is disappointing. Not that I want to play the old games on PS5. But you'd think by now they have the hardware capability to do it without compromising other features, yet they still won't fully implement for whatever reasons

Fake

J JORMBO I guess amount the threads created today, you got the most valid question of all. I was definitely hoping PS5 at least to not make 'exclusives' on their BC.
Saying '100 games' don't mean shit. Probably Sony will put their exclusives ahead any other (Bruh The Last of Us 2), but how to guess what others games they will have at launch? How to hit everyone by the PS5 BC? I mean, what the chances of my game for example, Dragon Crown, receive the BC patch he deserves? Even more, so no PS5 improvements over PS4 games?

People can console war whatever they want (RIP CuryPanda), but by far this info was for me the most disappointed of today by a quite margin.

yurinka

Cerny said "most of the top 100" Ps4 games will be playable at release. How does everyone feel about this? I thought most PS4 games would be playable. :(
Sounds like most of the PS4 catalog will work day one, and that instead of testing it with thousands of games they focused on testing the 100 most played ones. Which doesn't mean that these ~100 games will be the only compatible ones at launch.

Last edited:
Thats the boost mode. Just like what they said for pro .not the actual BC

Mod of War Mod of War shouldn't the title be changed? Cerny was talking about boost mode titles need to be tested .not normal BC.

Last edited:

KingT731

I hope you guys understand that being "100% compatible" doesn't mean there aren't any issues while playing some games

Mithos

And that's the crux of the problem. They used vague generalities to describe the featureset which just kept us in the dark and guessing.

If they had full PS4 backwards compatibility, they could have made a statement like Microsoft did: "Your entire library from the PS4 will come with you to the PS5" instead of this "top 100 games" bullshit.

Checking again and writing down what he said word for word.

"running "ps4 and PS4 titles"** at boosted frequencies has also added complexity
the boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it
testing has to be done on a title by title basis"

**i assume he meant to say "ps4 and ps4 pro titles"

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
If it's true that this is just boost mode, it's much better. But it still sucks that there will be no older gens for BC.

This whole reveal was a mess, Jesus, Sony.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maybe they want to reduce production costs?

I’m down, but I still have plenty of awesome games to play on the current gen. It’s kinda strange how they didn’t make BC a primary focus.

Gone, but not forgotten. Right?

Reactions: PCH

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
heavily leaning towards MS then.

Only reason why not is VR
With Ninja Theory already working on VR titles, you bet VR is coming to XSX. Just not now. Phil Spencer said they will do it when it's right because it has to convince the users instantly, they won't accept iterations (they basically buy one headset and if that sucks, they are gone forever). Xbox VR comes when they can do tetherless VR at high resolution/framerate (probably through DirectML) at an affordable price.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Was expect it.

I never trust in a 100% full system backward.

To be fair Xbox handled this perfectly already this gen. You can play OG Xbox games on One X with even visual improvements.

To hear only a selection of PS4 games and zero PS3-PS2-PS1 games will be compatible is objectively disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOLCats

Banned
First i thought about over-reacting and then i realized it will all work fine.

Sony gave us boost mode first anyway.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Shit that a game changer for me until exclusives hit. Really depends on launch...good thing I stopped buying non exclusives after I got my One X. I hated my PS4 when it first launched last gen because the lineup was shit...eventually got an X because of Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct.

Last edited:

GV82

Hmmm, my Xbox One S from this gen is going to be able to play some next gen games, although very badly (I knew I should have gone One X, oh well)
I hope PS4 is going to offer this too? doesn't matter if it’s poor, it’s that the feature exists..

Of these 100 PS Games , will be it be Indies first? they should be the easiest to port right, for the record I love indie games Gang beast, Super Meatboy, Spelunky , then 3rd party, then 1st party in that order?

Tempted to stay with my old ps4 for Spider-Man etc and my One S and then in 2-3 years when they get a price reduction & see which I want the most or buy both.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Again this for boost mode .its 100% BC with ps4.

This is what PSBlog says:

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

They should probably put something out to clarify. The internet as a whole seems really confused with their messaging.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so when did they ever promise PS1/PS2/PS3 games in the first place? or was that just a rumor/wishful thinking?

i mean it's not like i can play N64 games on my Nintendo Switch. multi gen BC is not really a standard in the industry.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
It's disappointing no question about it. It seems to me that they have put more focus and money on VR than BC.

Yup, this is a dealbreaker. Backwards compatibility is huge for me, and I'm grateful that at least one of the big three shares my priorities.

I can't wait to play Blinx: The Timesweeper day one on my Series X.

Thanks Phil! 🙂

Ascend

What if PS5 is $100 cheaper?
What if it's $200 cheaper?

That matters. A LOT.
Perhaps even more if we enter a Depression due to CV.
The price is indeed a significant factor.... But... Didn't the Xbox One X outsell the PS4 Pro?
And what about features? Because Xbox BC for one, is at this point superior. And it is an important one.
Until now, what has been shown for the XSX is simply superior to what has been shown for the PS5. Both on paper, and in terms of amount of things we got to see.

First impressions are important. Don't underestimate it. It's basically what "killed" the Xbox One. They failed at the announcement and the PS4 won that whole generation because of it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
To be fair Xbox handled this perfectly already this gen. You can play OG Xbox games on One X with even visual improvements.

To hear only a selection of PS4 games and zero PS3-PS2-PS1 games will be compatible is objectively disappointing.
Ok. So i can say that is great Job for Xbox that make it run every game without problem 👍🏻

cireza

Banned
I had guessed a long time ago that would be the case. BC has always been less important for Sony, no reason for them to invest in it. Espcially with Microsoft who has invested so much in it they are impossible to rival.

Top Bottom