• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year is passed and VRR is still unavailable on ps5. It's time to say it's not acceptable

assurdum

Banned
There should be a suit since it's a promised feature.

They did market it for the platform and it was posted on the website. If they don't deliver they are going to run into legal issues.
I agree. Hope some associations will do something as soon as possible because it's not acceptable they can think to have a free pass for it just because ps5 is sold out.

Last edited:
People, as in the large majority playing GTA, FIFA, Madden, COD, AC etc. don't even know VRR is a thing. Most people don't even know most of the tecnical shit we argue about around here. Even when PS5 gets VRR they won't even know it has it, what it is and where to turn it on if their TVs has it.

HTK

Banned
My flagship is also used for watching movies. Gaming isn't the only thing you can do on the TV. And are you really calling game bar a major feature? Or 1440p support when the TV is 4k? Those are nice to have but far from 'major' and being a dealbreaker.
I figured if we're on a gaming message board talking about TV's that are the best for gaming. Also, it's not like LG OLEDs are bad at other entertainment, that's far from the truth. You guys would love to spread that narrative but that's just not the case especially compared to the pricing of these things.

I care about those features because I'm spending a lot of money on these things. If you like to overpay by $500 or $1000 for TVs that lack a lot of features go for it. I hope you're holding some Sony stocks, because I'm only loyal to my wallet not brands.

assurdum

Banned
People, as in the large majority playing GTA, FIFA, Madden, COD, AC etc. don't even know VRR is a thing. Most people don't even know most of the tecnical shit we argue about around here. Even when PS5 gets VRR they won't even know it has it, what it is and where to turn it on if their TVs has it.
So?

dotnotbot

Also, it's not like LG OLEDs are bad at other entertainment, that's far from the truth. You guys would love to spread that narrative but that's just not the case especially compared to the pricing of these things.
Nice spin, but I nowhere did say that. I was just defending that picture quality is an advantage of Sony OLEDs. Wheter someone prioritzes that over gaming features is an individual choice.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I figured if we're on a gaming message board talking about TV's that are the best for gaming. Also, it's not like LG OLEDs are bad at other entertainment, that's far from the truth. You guys would love to spread that narrative but that's just not the case especially compared to the pricing of these things.

I care about those features because I'm spending a lot of money on these things. If you like to overpay by $500 or $1000 for TVs that lack a lot of features go for it. I hope you're holding some Sony stocks, because I'm only loyal to my wallet not brands.
Go with LG, especially if youre focusing on games.

Bryank75

Banned
They too busy thinking about PC and Cloud....

Don't seem to give a shit about their console anymore.

They are lethargic and boring so far this generation. The State of Plays are shit... if I wanted something like that, I'd listen to Siri reading a fucking book or something. Fuck outta here!

Keep pouring millions into advertising Azure, for 10 more users on PSNow. Morons!

HTK

Banned
Nice spin, but I nowhere did say that. I was just defending that picture quality is an advantage of Sony OLEDs.
I mean I don't want to argue about it, I know where you're coming from because I always appreciated Sony's calibration and superb picture quality. They know what they're doing. I'm just saying when you take everything into account, I went with LG because the latter wasn't worth the price with the lack of features for a slightly better picture quality. These LG's are no joke with their picture quality either these days so I give them a lot of props for pushing a lot of things that are great for consumers at an affordable price.

intbal

Maybe it's a good time to remind people of this thread. More votes = more data.

Although I would recommend anyone with a VRR monitor to also vote. No reason to exclude that option.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean I don't want to argue about it, I know where you're coming from because I always appreciated Sony's calibration and superb picture quality. They know what they're doing. I'm just saying when you take everything into account, I went with LG because the latter wasn't worth the price with the lack of features for a slightly better picture quality. These LG's are no joke with their picture quality either these days so I give them a lot of props for pushing a lot of things that are great for consumers at an affordable price.
Thats the key reason why LG and Samsung zoomed up the sales share the past 15 years. These Korean brands improved quality a lot since their trashy 90s of bargain basement Lucky Goldstar and Samsung tvs. And they did it at good prices unlike Sony, Panasonic and the defunct Pioneer whose prices are always much more.

I can understand Japanese brands charging more money for higher quality, but the best TVs are typically LG or Samsung now at a good medium price (not too high and not too low).

When I get a new tv in maybe 3 years, I'm going to look at Korean OLEDs, or possibly see how good Vizio or TCL is as those two are bargain priced. If those tvs are good enough, I might even get them.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Go with LG, especially if youre focusing on games.

I like rtings, but keep in mind they omit the following important things during testing:
- quality of HDR tone-mapping
- near-black performance (one of the biggest differentiator between different OLED models)
- out-of-box HDR accuracy (they test SDR only)
- color gradation quality in HDR (they test SDR only)
- motion performance (in theory they test that but it tells you nothing compared to other reviews like HDTVTest)

They are gaming oriented and the fact that they pick some TV as the best doesn't mean it's the best overall.

dotnotbot

Now that's completely fair and I agree with you.

Reactions: HTK

dotnotbot

It's the typical Soony™. Not even the fact that VRR is still not there is the worst, but lack of communication and concrete dates.

DeepSpace5D

I agree VRR should have come a long time ago. That being said, I want the A80J so bad. Sony’s OLEDs this year are stunning.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't use VRR with the C9. it's broken and will turn your blacks gray. The only true fix is to hope lg's 2022 have a hardware fix for this issue. It's not a software issue, it's a voltage issue
Wait… I thought that all TV had perfect VRR supper as well as HDR and were super cheap… ;).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thought this was discussed earlier and that Sony are waiting for HDMI CEC standards covering VRR to be ratified later this year?

dotnotbot

Don't use VRR with the C9. it's broken and will turn your blacks gray. The only true fix is to hope lg's 2022 have a hardware fix for this issue. It's not a software issue, it's a voltage issue

It's not that bad on OLEDs. Heavily depends on the game and also individual panel and it's calibration is a factor. Most of the time you'll notice flicker just during menus and loading screens, at least that's what most users say.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Thought this was discussed earlier and that Sony are waiting for HDMI CEC standards covering VRR to be ratified later this year?

That's the newest excuse but I believe it was said by some retailer who is close to Sony and not actual Sony. Sony should've released some concrete statement what exactly we are waiting for.

Blond

Banned
Most people don't have VRR capable TVs and most PS5 games wouldn't benefit from VRR at all.
All games would benefit from VRR, you just don’t know it yet. Void Bastards, which is my favorite game this year, is WAY smoother on a S|X because of Freesync, I got it on disc for the PS4 after it was removed from Gamepass and even though it looks the same and runs at the same 60fps is feels so much more jankier than it should.

old-parts

The whole waiting for HDMI-VRR standard is complete nonsense.

Its a straight up copy of AMD Freesync which has been around a long time now, you can add Freesync to 9 series LG OLED just by editing software EDID on windows and the 'HDMI-VRR only' TV will work with AMD Freesync GPUs just fine.

There is definitely something suspicions about Sony's lack of support, for reasons Sony have used Panasonic display controller chips in PS3/PS4/PS5. Their choice of Panasonic (now Nuvoton) DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 display controller might point to the problem as this converts the Displayport output to HDMI but that doesn't necessarily means it support all of the same features.

Its known the Nuvoton display controller in PS5 does not allow for display stream compression support (even though AMD GPU in PS5 does) and so this display controller may also be the source of no Freesync/HDMI-VRR if its not capable.

The only thing I would deem credible as an excuse is that Sony are testing every single PS4/PS5 game with VRR before they enable it, so they have a block list of what games to disable it on, but more than a year of testing that excuse begins to look flimsy.

ABnormal

I'm sure that one % of people owning VVR ready TVs are indignated, for all those 3 moments per hour in which the frame rate drops from 60 to 55 fps.

Cross gen titles and building them with also pc in mind: those are serious matters, not this least-important one.

Notice it is fine. Trying to transform it in a big deal is just nonsense.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
After they start supporting the external M.2 drives, lack of VRR is a glaring omission from the PS5's features, along with lack of native 1440p output being a close second and perhaps not being able to quick-swap games like the Series X.

Though it's not nearly as bad as having a new-gen games console not getting any actual new-gen games for almost a year upon release. In my opinion.

entitled consumer crap - fine get pissed, vent online, but to start a digital hivemind movement to pressure the company? modern day dumb bullshit.

not happy? sell your shit and dont support sony products going forward. else deal with it.

i feel for the Ford Bronco owners way more...

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's the newest excuse but I believe it was said by some retailer who is close to Sony and not actual Sony. Sony should've released some concrete statement what exactly we are waiting for.

I believe its a pretty legit issue because there are plenty of HDMI 2.0 socketed displays that are physically capable of handling VRR input if it wasn't for the fact that its notionally a HDMI2.1 feature. Adding insult to injury is that 2.1 socketing alone does not confer the ability to handle VRR input.

As noted elsewhere, its a mess with HDMI-CEC at the heart of it.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I'm willing to bet fewer than 5% of PS5 owners have a TV that supports this feature. My TV is still basically top of the line from 3 years ago and it doesn't have it. I won't be buying a new $2000 TV when any good dev should be able to achieve a 60fps lock on PS5.
Who cares if YOU can't use it ?

Do you see how that feels bruh? It's real hurtful-like. Class discrimination, really.

I have it. Sony said they'd do it. So why don't they just get their act together and figure it out? Is that too much to ask?

I always love this kind of post/attitude. "Well I can't take advantage so they can take their time!". Why are you even reading the topic!? Hilarious.

Imtjnotu

It's not that bad on OLEDs. Heavily depends on the game and also individual panel and it's calibration is a factor. Most of the time you'll notice flicker just during menus and loading screens, at least that's what most users say.
It's that bad on the C9 and cx.

Then Flicker isn't as bad anymore it's the washed out blacks thst are the issue.

LG said this themselves.

"Gamma for OLED is optimised and fixed for 120 Hz by establishing a fixed charging time for OLED sub-pixels. VRR is used when the frame rate is less than 120 Hz. When the OLED TV uses framerates less than 120 Hz, the gamma curve is inconsistent with the frame rate. For example, a 40 Hz frame rate is longer than 120 Hz frame rate. Therefore, the lower frame rates results in sub pixels that are overcharged, causing flickering of dark grey images, which is noticeable for dark images rather than bright ones, because human eyes are more sensitive to low grey colors. "

It is a hardware issue that should be gone by next year we hope. But I'm going off rumors based from avs forum

Urban

Is it a serious question? You can't sell an hardware promising a feature which doesn't works, it's not even a debate. Can we stop to justify any bullshit attitude by the multinational corporations just because we like their products? They shouldn't put on the box the VRR logo and that's it. It's not that complicate. Just imagine if they sold PS4 promising HDR when wasn't supported yet.

yeah i just checked my own box. There is no VRR Logo or anything else? Where did Sony explicit say: The PS5 has VRR from launch or get go?!

And yeah thats a serious question because i might missed the announcement from it?

dotnotbot

yeah i just checked my own box. There is no VRR Logo or anything else? Where did Sony explicit say: The PS5 has VRR from launch or get go?!

And yeah thats a serious question because i might missed the announcement from it?

You're right, it was always said to be available through update at a later date. 8k support though is right on the box and also doesn't work yet.

Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

My personal favorite excuse itt was "only a few people have vrr TV's, they don't know/don't care"
And you know the moment VRR is available on PS5 everyone will suddenly have access to it and every DF/VG Tech will be a draw until the end of the generation. And since a draw is a win…

rnlval

What are you on about? RDNA 2 is not a standard set by an entire industry, it is a proprietary featureset of AMD that Sony based their 'custom' chip on. It doesn't have to plug into other systems like a console or TV does over HDMI, so your comparison is just crap. Think about things before you post.

Edit: And yes SSD support is coming to the PS5, it is great that they went with a solution that was based on open specifications/standards so I am free to choose which compatible SSD I want rather than it being mandated. Open standards (where possible) are generally a good thing.
DP-to-HDMI chipset is handled by a 3rd party chip vendor.

Sony's DP-to-HDMI chipset on PS5 is Panasonic. More information from https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/1...d-at-32-gbps-meaning-no-444-hdr-at-4k-120-hz/
The PS5 leverages Panasonic Semiconductor Solutions and Nuvoton Technology’s MN864739 HDMI 2.1 chipset

Xbox Series X and NVIDIA RTX HDMI 2.1 chipset is not Panasonic or Nuvoton.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's lame because Sony has a tendency to overpromise and announce things way too soon, with seemingly full knowledge but no indication that they won't be coming anytime soon. From games to hardware features, they play the same game. Sony consistently puts out my favorite games, but I can't stand the way they treat their consumer base.

Fredrik

I’m a huge gsync supporter, it’s a game changer, but the upgrade to get VRR for consoles is so expensive that I just don’t care. I’ll get it for the PS5Pro, maybe.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah cause everybody has a CX or C1 amirite? :pie_eyeroll:

But a lot of people do, so why shouldnt they want the features that sony fucking advertised when they announced the console etc?

Not much pisses me off, but when people act like "what percentage of people even have this tech" it get's under my skin. SONY said the console would have VRR, thousands upon thousands of people have purchased high end LG OLEDS and other TVs that support VRR to go with these consoles. I dont get why some people act like its they customers that are in the wrong or we shouldnt demand features we were sold on. It's a shit move by sony and they deserve to get cussed out.

Last edited:

Rippa

Lol…… Nah!

It’s clearly not stopping PS5 from outselling the competition. If they said it was coming, it’s coming on their time, certainly not yours. So maybe be patient.

• Triggered
Reactions: amc
Top Bottom