• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year is passed and VRR is still unavailable on ps5. It's time to say it's not acceptable

asustitan

Banned
Genuine question, any games right now that would benefit from vrr?

I have a ps5 and that xbr tv that should have vrr.

Haven't really noticed any games that drop below 60, which vrr would fix,right?

You notice it when playing 120fps games as most of them can not lock to 120.

dotnotbot

LG OLEDs are just superior to Sony's TVs at lower price as well.

Not true, if you compare LG OLEDs to Sony OLEDs in terms of PQ there is few important things Sony does noticeably better.

LGs are best bang for buck, sure, but they aren't best overall.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

VRR and native 1440p to help achieve 120fps (as close as possible) really is unacceptable. Those are the features I want most. We are coming up on a year since launch in a few short months. Wtf are they doing?

noise36

Just imagine the clickbait headlines: “the best TV for your Sony PlayStation 5 is, surprisingly, anything but Sony “

This is true regardless of VRR anyway, there is no reason to buy a Sony TV.

The best TV for PS5 is an LG OLED.

The best LCD for PS5 is s Samsung QN90A

The best budget LCD for PS5 are Hisense/Vizio

Sony make some good OLED TV's using LG panels but as well as not supporting VRR they cost so much more than LG for little difference in picture quality.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Anyone have a list of PS5 games that don't have locked framerate and would make use of VRR. Other than 120 games.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Yes, even picture quality. Game Features, Picture Quality, and Price. It's embarrassing and lazy what Sony has put out last year and this year while maintaining higher prices in comparison to LG. The gig is up sorry.

- noticeably better HDR tonemapping
- noticeably better gradient handling
- better near-black details out-of-box
- a bit better out-of-box calibration
- noticeably better upscalling (important for switch and older consoles)

These are all advantages of Sony OLEDs mentioned by multiple reviews and many users.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s great on my Series S and EX2520. As long as Sony’s single player games are locked 30 or 60 I’m fine.

SpokkX

I am a huge gsync fan. I've had g-sync monitors for forever. 240hz gsync, 144hz and later even 40-60hz 4k freesync.
And let me tell You what - vrr is almost useless on console. Here is why:
-VRR sucks on HDR tv's. Oleds gamma is correct only at 120hz, lower hz lowers gamma and makes image tiny bit washed out. It can also flicker with big fps change.
-Vrr kinda sucks below 40. It can work as LFC but it's not ideal.
-On pc, wth 40-60hz 4k monitors, I could use RTSS to lock to 58fps global. This way vrr would always be active and not fall back on very slow vsync.

30,40 and 60 locks are way more useful for consoles games
I would much more like the ability for ps5 to ALWAYS output 120hz, even with 60fps games. Just like Ratchet does with 40fps/120hz mode.

Right now, if VRR was enabled, it would do almost nothing. You would "at least" need games with unlocked fps
You have no idea what you are talking about

with a samsung qn95 and a series x vrr is a gamechanger. No gamma issues or flickering. It just works and eliminates framedrops (as long as they are above 40fps)

- Sea of thieves - zero tearing (tears a lot in certain areas otherwise)
- Asscreed - perfect no tearing
- 120fps titles feel locked

even games that perform HORRIBLY like mechwarrior 5 and dark alliance look and play smooth

i actually have 2 series x in the same room but only one tv supports vrr - and the difference is beyond large. Especially most 120fps titles are unplayable without vrr

btw my tv uses freesync premium pro instead of hdmi 2.1 vrr - perhaps this is better?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just for the record, LG CX took like 9 months to fix weird colors in VRR. It still an issue, but it's less so, I am happy with it now and XSX : )

hlm666

G-Sync is just Nvidia marketing bullshit and tax they put above VRR.
Not true, when nvidia started their vrr push they actually had to put hardware in the monitors to make vrr work. The reason freesync early demos were all on laptops is because laptops had rudimentary vrr support for power saving features but standalone displays couldn't do it. Fast forward to now and hdmi has made vrr a part of the display controller as standard but a display with a full gsync module (i think they are the gsync ultimate ones) can have less latency, better hdr and ulmb support than gsync and freesync just using the standard display controller.

intbal

I suspect Sony TV owners have already seen this video, but it might provide some insight for anyone wondering about the possible reasons for this PS5 VRR issue.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with VRR support on PS5. It has probably been functioning just fine since launch. BUT, not with Sony TVs that use this Mediatek HDMI 2.1 chip. And Sony doesn't want to enable VRR if it's going to only work on their competitors' TVs but not theirs. They've probably been working with Mediatek all year to improve the firmware on this half-baked chip so their existing TVs will cooperate with the VRR feature of the PS5.

Again, just speculation on my part. I think the PS5 is fine, and the problem is with their TVs.

dotnotbot

I suspect Sony TV owners have already seen this video, but it might provide some insight for anyone wondering about the possible reasons for this PS5 VRR issue.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with VRR support on PS5. It has probably been functioning just fine since launch. BUT, not with Sony TVs that use this Mediatek HDMI 2.1 chip. And Sony doesn't want to enable VRR if it's going to only work on their competitors' TVs but not theirs. They've probably been working with Mediatek all year to improve the firmware on this half-baked chip so their existing TVs will cooperate with the VRR feature of the PS5.

Again, just speculation on my part. I think the PS5 is fine, and the problem is with their TVs.

VRR is already working on those Mediatek SOCs. Same or similar chips can be also found in Philips, Panasonic, Hisense and TCL TVs. Only Samsung and LG use custom designed SOCs.

Sony TVs should support it just fine cause Philips 2021 models use exact same SOC as XH90 and Sony 2021 models and VRR/Freesync is available on their TVs from day one. So it's definitely not a hardware issue.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When you are the child of a donkey punch it is bold to refer to anyone else as stupid.
Why in the hell would you go on a tech-related forum and butt into some discussion about X new feature not being delivered as advertised, just to say “h-h-hey guys this is a first world problem”. Yeah, pretty stupid.

And any well-adjusted adult likes a good donkey punch, so double stupid.

Zathalus

It is rather bizarre. The TVs should be able to support it as should the PS5. I have no idea why both have been delayed so long.

rofif

Banned
You have no idea what you are talking about

with a samsung qn95 and a series x vrr is a gamechanger. No gamma issues or flickering. It just works and eliminates framedrops (as long as they are above 40fps)

- Sea of thieves - zero tearing (tears a lot in certain areas otherwise)
- Asscreed - perfect no tearing
- 120fps titles feel locked

even games that perform HORRIBLY like mechwarrior 5 and dark alliance look and play smooth

i actually have 2 series x in the same room but only one tv supports vrr - and the difference is beyond large. Especially most 120fps titles are unplayable without vrr

btw my tv uses freesync premium pro instead of hdmi 2.1 vrr - perhaps this is better?
QN95 is lcd.
Oleds or fald displays have issues with vrr

Calverz

Clapping Applause GIF

It’s incompetence.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's completely unacceptable. But whats worse is their Sony x900H tvs that they sold as HDMI 2.1 compatible tvs still dont have VRR and their 120 hz 4k mode looks as blurry as a 1080p mode.

To me, you cannot sell TVs that come out every year on the promise of things to come. I couldve just waited for the next year's model. Consoles I understand, they are a 7 year investment, and unless Sony fucks up and cant get VRR out on launch models I dont think it's a big deal, but for TVs it's straight up illegal. You simply cannot do false advertising. It was literally the only TV besides the LG CX that was HDMI 2.1 compatible last year or at least advertised as such and in classic Sony fashion they refused to provide any updates on the progress. Sony's lack of communication isnt some foksy Japanese aloofness, it's bordering on misleading and scamming consumers out of their hard earned dollars.

Paid $1,599 for a 75 inch x900h which now sits in the living room as a glorified netflix player.

AJUMP23

Why in the hell would you go on a tech-related forum and butt into some discussion about X new feature not being delivered as advertised, just to say “h-h-hey guys this is a first world problem”. Yeah, pretty stupid.

And any well-adjusted adult likes a good donkey punch, so double stupid.
I would think it is far more foolish to worry about one dumb joke on a tech forum than actually contribute something. I contributed a lame joke. You have contributed little if anything to the discussion, except for the affirmation of your own foolishness.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Honestly I can't care less if Sony has a trouble with VRR and the ps5. It's not absolutely normal to sell to the public an hardware with a feature on the box which doesn't works. I don't think it's even legal. Now I love ps5 but really every launch seems plagued with something like this and as a customer I can't accept it. Hope someone put more pressure to them, because it's not like ps5 cost less for that. If possible let's avoid console war, thanks in advance, it's not my intention. I'm just tired to wait something which should works from the beginning.
Apparently according to many on here , not a lot of people have VRR capable tv’s at the moment so is it a big issue?

Last edited:

asustitan

Banned
If the reason is that the VRR feature will hurt the Sony TV brand then it is more so hurting the perceived capabilities of their number one revenue stream the PS5.
Why would they care more about their TV's not supporting it over their console not been able to have the feature? Just makes the Series X look better.

Switching VRR on / off and it completely removes tearing for any games that can't achieve the 120 locked framerate. So if it dips to 110fps, you can't notice.

How does VRR work, is it hardware based without any hit on performance?
Can PS5 do it with hardware, or is the problem they have to do it software and which is why it is taking so long? I'm just purely speculating here btw.

HTK

Banned
- noticeably better HDR tonemapping
- noticeably better gradient handling
- better near-black details out-of-box
- a bit better out-of-box calibration
- noticeably better upscalling (important for switch and older consoles)

These are all advantages of Sony OLEDs mentioned by multiple reviews and many users.
I can say the same for LG OLEDs and also cite reviews and users. :/

But to top it off LG also has:
- 4 HDMI 2.1 ports
- Game Bar
- VRR
- 1440p at 120hz
- Input Lag of 5.3ms (LG) vs 14.7ms (Sony) at 4k @ 120hz
- Input Lag of 10ms (LG) vs. 16.6ms (Sony) at 4k @ 60hz
- Input Lag of 5.3ms (LG) vs. Not Available (Sony) at 1440p @ 120hz
- Superb picture quality

Let's just say if you want the best for your games, go the LG OLED route. Sony needs to stop being lazy and produce products based on how they did in the past. What have you done for me lately the saying goes, outside of their insane prices for their OLEDs that are simply not worth the cost anymore.

Elios83

There's 8k output as well (it's advertised on the box as well unlike VRR) but no one is mentioning it because they don't have a 8K TV so they don't give a fuck but it's the same boat.
It's just a matter of priorities and the reality is that only a bunch of core gamers care about it.
There are many things they can do to improve the user experience for everyone and VRR is simply not a top priority atm, developers shouldn't use it an excuse to release games with shaky framerates anyway.
Now that they sorted out external HD support, SSD expansion stuff and their TV division is supposed to deliver VRR updates on December the feature might get attention.
But VRR must be supported properly both by the console and the TV. I certainly wouldn't use it if enabling it fucks up gamma or other image quality aspects.

dotnotbot

their 120 hz 4k mode looks as blurry as a 1080p mode.
It looks much better than 1080. Under the hood it probably halves only the vertical resoultion, same as Panasonic 2021 models, and they added some sharpening on top of that in one of the updates.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
features? yes. picture quality? no.
Picture quality?

LOL.

I have a 900e and the audio arc bombed out from an OS update and they never fixed it. And I got a bunch of dead pixels already. Thankfully I have a 5 year Costco warranty so when it gets near the end I'm going to send it for repairs.

Never had dead pixels ever in any Panasonic CRT or plasma.

Next TV I'm getting is Samsung or LG. I'd go Panny again but Panasonic barely sells tvs here in Canada. I think they pulled out. Can only find their tvs at specialty AV shops now.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Picture quality?

LOL.

I have a 900e and the audio arc bombed out from an OS update and they never fixed it. And I got a bunch of dead pixels already. Thankfully I have a 5 year Costco warranty so when it gets near the end I'm going to send it for repairs.

Never had dead pixels ever in any Panasonic CRT or plasma.

Next TV I'm getting is Samsung or LG.

How is ARC and dead pixels (which can happen any time on any display) picture quality issue?

CRTs and plasma were completely different tech.

Last edited:
I'm crossing my fingers that VRR will work on FreeSync displays over HDMI 2.0, but knowing Sony they will require HDMI 2.1 with HDMI VRR support 🙁

I will NOT buy another monitor for at least a few more years.

HTK

Banned
Actually, let's do this. Let's say Sony is "superior" in picture quality.

Put them side by side and tell me the difference is worth the price?
Sony - 55" A90J - $2,799
LG - 55" C1 - $1,799 and it's on sale now for $1,499

While also lacking:
- VRR
- Game Bar
- 4 HDMI 2.1 ports
- 1440p
- Input Lag is atrocious compared to competition

I was waiting for the new OLEDs from LG and Sony. I wanted to get the new Sony OLEDs because they've always been a superb company when it comes to TVs. I just looked at the landscape of features/functions/picture quality and Sony really didn't do much, I was disappointed by them for what they were offering for the money. Think fellas don't follow marketing/brand loyalty because the money is coming out of your pocket.

Last edited:

twilo99

is VRR superior to g-sync?

More or less the same but since the PS5 has an AMD gpu its probably going to be freesync.

Hopefully their TVs support the premier pro tier of freesync, so far I think its just bunch of Samsung TVs that do support it. Maybe someone with an xbox can verify if its working properly there.

more here

FreeSync™ Technology | FreeSync Premium Pro HDR Games | AMD

I've been using on my Dell monitor with 6800xt and its fantastic.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Actually, let's do this. Let's say Sony is "superior" in picture quality.

Put them side by side and tell me the difference is worth the price?
Sony - 55" A90J - $2,799

While also lacking:
- VRR
- Game Bar
- 4 HDMI 2.1 ports
- 1440p
- Input Lag is atrocious compared to competition

I was waiting for the new OLEDs from LG and Sony. I wanted to get the new Sony OLEDs because they've always been a superb company when it comes to TVs. I just looked at the landscape of features/functions/picture quality and Sony really didn't do much, I was disappointed by them for what they were offering for the money. Think fellas don't follow marketing/brand loyalty because the money is coming out of your pocket.
Lol, why are you comparing flagship A90J to C1? A90J has heatsink which isn't present even on G1.

And calling input lag of less than one frame in 60 Hz 'atrocious' is hilarious.

Last edited:
Reactions: amc
There should be a suit since it's a promised feature.

They did market it for the platform and it was posted on the website. If they don't deliver they are going to run into legal issues.

SkylineRKR

VRR is available for TV's for about 2 years now. Sony is just being weird. Their TV's underdeliver but are overpriced. And the PS5 still has no VRR which is kind of a joke. Most games should be stable enough on consoles but for those who aren't VRR is pretty good. I think it ensures less fluctuation when playing at 120hz.

twilo99

I still have not seen the benefit of VRR. I know what it does in theory but I choose 60fps option on new games and I don't see any screen tearing or stutter on either my XSX or PS5 on mG OLED.

edit: okay on flight sim I see stutter but thats on the XSX.

I play warzone on a 165hz monitor and its impossible to get constant 165fps @ 1440p even with a high end GPU so I can tell you that the benefits of VRR are huge if you are looking for smooth gameplay from a demanding game.

Games that can lock 120fps don't need it, but I would take 80-120fps with VRR over locked 60 anyday.

HTK

Banned
Lol, why are you comparing flagship A90J to C1? A90J has heatsink which isn't present even on G1.

Because your flagship is lacking major FEATURES for someone wanting an OLED for gaming. But here is the A80J, it's not like the story is any better.

Sony - 55" A80J - $2,299 and it's on sale now for $1,799

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Did they ever promised u that it will be available at launch and from the get go?
Is it a serious question? You can't sell an hardware promising a feature which doesn't works, it's not even a debate. Can we stop to justify any bullshit attitude by the multinational corporations just because we like their products? They shouldn't put on the box the VRR logo and that's it. It's not that complicate. Just imagine if they sold PS4 promising HDR when wasn't supported yet.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Because your flagship is lacking major FEATURES for someone wanting an OLED for gaming. But here is the A80J, it's not like the story is any better.

Sony - 55" A80J - $2,299 and it's on sale now for $1,799
"My" flagship is also used for watching movies. Gaming isn't the only thing you can do on the TV. And are you really calling game bar a major feature? Or 1440p support when the TV is 4k? Those are nice to have but far from 'major' and being a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom