• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year is passed and VRR is still unavailable on ps5. It's time to say it's not acceptable

assurdum

Banned
Honestly I can't care less if Sony has a trouble with VRR and the ps5. It's not absolutely normal to sell to the public an hardware with a feature on the box which doesn't works. I don't think it's even legal. Now I love ps5 but really every launch seems plagued with something like this and as a customer I can't accept it. Hope someone put more pressure to them, because it's not like ps5 cost less for that. If possible let's avoid console war, thanks in advance, it's not my intention. I'm just tired to wait something which should works from the beginning.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Wait for December to roll around. If the TV's miss their VRR update then it's definitely time to be pissed
I understand what you mean but they can still active it and give the free option to choice as MS. It's absurd this situation.

jigglet

Banned
This should have been done by now. Waiting on Sony branded TVs is bullshit.

I feel it's ok to buy a game console based on promises, but not TV's. You should always buy a TV based on what it is on the day you buy it. Literally every single major brand has fucked people over in some way or another. There is no safe brand when it comes to TV's that keep their firmware update promises.

If the reason it's missing is anything other than we have a lot of people working on it and we can't get it going, people should be pissed. Anything else is no excuse.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If the reason it's missing is anything other than we have a lot of people working on it and we can't get it going, people should be pissed. Anything else is no excuse.
What if the reason is, we know what we are doing but we are waiting for the standards to be fully defined so we can implement them according to the specifications?

I would be more pissed with them saying they can't get it working than they are taking their time to do it properly.

I still have not seen the benefit of VRR. I know what it does in theory but I choose 60fps option on new games and I don't see any screen tearing or stutter on either my XSX or PS5 on mG OLED.

edit: okay on flight sim I see stutter but thats on the XSX.

Last edited:

Urban

Honestly I can't care less if Sony has a trouble with VRR and the ps5. It's not absolutely normal to sell to the public an hardware with a feature on the box which doesn't works. I don't think it's even legal. Now I love ps5 but really every launch seems plagued with something like this and as a customer I can't accept it. Hope someone put more pressure to them, because it's not like ps5 cost less for that. If possible let's avoid console war, thanks in advance, it's not my intention. I'm just tired to wait something which should works from the beginning.

Did they ever promised u that it will be available at launch and from the get go?

GuinGuin

Banned
I'm willing to bet fewer than 5% of PS5 owners have a TV that supports this feature. My TV is still basically top of the line from 3 years ago and it doesn't have it. I won't be buying a new $2000 TV when any good dev should be able to achieve a 60fps lock on PS5.

Topher

Gold Member
I still have not seen the benefit of VRR. I know what it does in theory but I choose 60fps option on new games and I don't see any screen tearing or stutter on either my XSX or PS5 on mG OLED.

Do you have a VRR TV? If so, then games could utilize VRR instead of vsync which is commonly used to prevent tearing, but has a performance cost. If you don't have a VRR TV then it doesn't matter either way.

I'm willing to bet fewer than 5% of PS5 owners have a TV that supports this feature. My TV is still basically top of the line from 3 years ago and it doesn't have it. I won't be buying a new $2000 TV when any good dev should be able to achieve a 60fps lock on PS5.

It doesn't matter. Sony promised VRR and they have not delivered VRR. Having to wait a year for that promise to be fulfilled isn't cool.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

I seriously doubt this is a technical issue. It is a corporate decision.

No
well thats a damn shame , cause i am testing an..................

LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD Nano IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor, Black​

lg_27gl850-b_27_ultragear_nano_ips_1ms_gaming_monitor_-_3tejar.jpg

and it is the most glorious display i have seen so far , i dont even care about its crappy HDR.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just like they did for RDNA 2?

They don't wanna look bad because their TV's are in the same situation

Meanwhile at PC and Xbox....

hey at least you can put a SSD now
What are you on about? RDNA 2 is not a standard set by an entire industry, it is a proprietary featureset of AMD that Sony based their 'custom' chip on. It doesn't have to plug into other systems like a console or TV does over HDMI, so your comparison is just crap. Think about things before you post.

Edit: And yes SSD support is coming to the PS5, it is great that they went with a solution that was based on open specifications/standards so I am free to choose which compatible SSD I want rather than it being mandated. Open standards (where possible) are generally a good thing.

Last edited:
Do you have a VRR TV? If so, then games could utilize VRR instead of vsync which is commonly used to prevent tearing, but has a performance cost. If you don't have a VRR TV then it doesn't matter either way.
I have a LG c9, is there a setting in XSX that I should turn on to help?

Markio128

I have no need, nor want for VRR, however, I do agree with the point that Sony should not be advertising a feature on a box if it has not been implemented. Saying that, we have gone over this very point many, many times.

MonarchJT

Banned
VRR it is not the solution to all the ills of the world but having a television that supports the vrr and the xsx i can certainly say that it certainly helps . PS5 hw is "so so" from lots of point of view starting from the size and shape to finish with problems inherent to their announced specifications ..... from the ssd to the vrr we would need a lot more fans willing to raise their voices against the corporations instead of swallowing any pills that come at them. pretty cool right?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD Nano IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor, Black​

lg_27gl850-b_27_ultragear_nano_ips_1ms_gaming_monitor_-_3tejar.jpg

and it is the most glorious display i have seen so far , i dont even care about its crappy HDR.

Is better but I don't do IPS.

It's big brother which isn't IPS...

Make sure you get the 2021 model if you choose either.

QHD ... You'll need an Xbox Series console so, given the PS5 won't support 1440p output.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is one thing that I think is pretty interesting, Sony does seem to manage to get away with small things from the press and not get hounded for these kinds of things.

Really there should be press hounding them for a statement on where the fuck it is. I bought a TV due to the expectation that both consoles would support it. Luckily one does but I want it for my ps5 like yesterday.

ZywyPL

Banned
Some of their TVs are waiting 2 even years for a FW update with VRR... There's supposedly some certification issue on the HDMI group side, not Sony, which the showstopper here, but it's suppose to be finalized this year, so let's give them some more time, if 2022 starts and VRR still won't be there, then we can start to complain.

It's consoles only option

There's also AMD Freesync which from my personal experience works better than HDMI VRR standard, for whatever the reason 60 and 120FPS titles are smoother.

Kilau

Gold Member
From what I gather following the TV side is that Sony is waiting on HDMI forum VRR. Sony isn’t helping by being silent on the issue. HDMI 2.1 rollout has been a mess.

anthony2690

Banned
Is there any particular reason why it is taking so long? Is it a difficult thing to retroactively implement on a console?

anthony2690

Banned
Almost nobody has tvs with VRR. They will implement it some day, but 99.99% of people won't give a shit about it.
I have a vrr capable TV, I know quite a lot of people with vrr capable TVs.

I can imagine they are mode widespread now as qled and oled are fairly popular and have supported vrr for years now.

rofif

Banned
I am a huge gsync fan. I've had g-sync monitors for forever. 240hz gsync, 144hz and later even 40-60hz 4k freesync.
And let me tell You what - vrr is almost useless on console. Here is why:
-VRR sucks on HDR tv's. Oleds gamma is correct only at 120hz, lower hz lowers gamma and makes image tiny bit washed out. It can also flicker with big fps change.
-Vrr kinda sucks below 40. It can work as LFC but it's not ideal.
-On pc, wth 40-60hz 4k monitors, I could use RTSS to lock to 58fps global. This way vrr would always be active and not fall back on very slow vsync.

30,40 and 60 locks are way more useful for consoles games
I would much more like the ability for ps5 to ALWAYS output 120hz, even with 60fps games. Just like Ratchet does with 40fps/120hz mode.

Right now, if VRR was enabled, it would do almost nothing. You would "at least" need games with unlocked fps

What if the reason is, we know what we are doing but we are waiting for the standards to be fully defined so we can implement them according to the specifications?

I would be more pissed with them saying they can't get it working than they are taking their time to do it properly.
There's been specs for years now. The ps5 can be updated in the future. Here's good VRR later we will give you great VRR. That's a way better option

yeah sony are slow as fuck with certain things. i guess it was low on their priority list. you know what should be on the top of their list? a damn E3 type showcase! where the hell is it?

Top Bottom