• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged CDPR dev talks about the state of Cyberpunk 2077 and talks future plans

KiteGr

Apparently Taken from a thread where supposed CDPR developer was speaking anonymously.
He supposedly talks/rants about the situation in the company, a lot of cut content, Keanu's bad acting, and plans to turn the project around.
Take it with a grain of salt, and beware of spoilers. If this is true in any way, then it's a leak... I haven't bought or played the game yet, as I'm waiting for it to be finished.

"CDPR hurt themselves to keep investors safe and sound. Now devs are hearing plans of a "No Man's Sky" style comeback due to late June. The first two patches should come out mid-March, despite what's been said by top execs. There will be major departures from the studio in the coming months. Dev morale is on an all time down and Sony is roasting our asses due to the gigantic volume of refund requests. There will be a meeting today with Sony execs to figure out a way to compensate players threatening with legal action. Sony Japan is specially furious.
More to come in the next couple weeks. Feels terrible, man.
There's no finger pointing as of now. Word on memos comes from the top. The directors and senior devs are taking the flak for the team in what I'd call "an honourable move". Just so you know, we still joke about a quest that got rewritten more than a dozen times, because a certain top dog wasn't "feeling it". It ended up being cut from the final product and should come on a later DLC next year.​
There's people that get hired for whatever reason and stay in the company due to being "trusted by the top dogs". A good chunk of code is getting scrapped and rewritten from scratch. The intended game might be ready by June 2021.
That's already done and ready since February. It didn't get implemented because of a major UI bug that is still present in the retail copies. If you open your .dat files you'll find a lot of scrapped content still in there.​
If you want a refund, please ask for it. It positively impacts us as devs, because we've warned the leads a MILLION times about that kind of s***. Most cosmetic overhauls should be ready by the 2nd big update, hopefully.​
The update that is due to June will sort out all of the bugs. The code for the PS4/Xbox One is getting scrapped and done separately. PS5's code is an improvement on the PC due to the awesome dev kit Sony put together for this gen.
You'd be amazed by how much is already done. That "cut content so people finish the main quest" talk was all bulls***. Most apartments with "Closed (locked)" indications used to be lootable, we've scrapped 50,000+ lines of dialogue and I believe the June update will bring a whole lot of cut content back into the game.​
Address the cut content as well. If they see that you guys are asking for s*** to be put back into the game, we might actually make the game we intended back in 2018. There used to be a huge underground part of the city that the public never got to see because it "looked ugly" to the execs. It was f***ing awesome and felt like the malkavian/nosferatu path on Vampire the Masquerade.
I don't want to hate on Keanu, but f***ing hell, our original Johnny was way cooler and sounded like a maniac. Think Foltest on crack. I don't appreciate his acting either, but he's a very nice man. Walked up to us personally to greet us on the first day and took time to personally thank us one by one when they wrapped up recording.
The word is his fee was actually manageable and the need for a Star Talent came from outside CDPR. The execs complied, because who the f*** knows? It sucks.
Our original Johnny was heavily inspired by David Hayter's Solid Snake from the first MGS and believe it or not, Cillian Murphy
There was a whole AI routine with minor gang violence in those areas. Stuff you could sit back and watch unfold or directly influence. There was also a lot of drug use with kids that eventually got cut due to inside censorship. There were priests and hare krishna side arcs that got cut due to censorship. Miles wrote a sidequest where a Max Tac officer offed himself and you could take its place but it created such a complex detour from everything tonally that it got cut as well. I hope it comes back, because it felt amazing to get into their headquarters and hack s***. You'd see the police trying to operate and breaking down mid-arrest due to your shenanigans.
Might sound weird, but the disaster launch was actually something beneficial, from our perspective. A cold shower sets priorities straight and so we're able to resume work on what was originally intended without having those f***ers breathing down our necks to publish.
I believe it was due to miscommunication and leads not setting goals like they should. The game was jumbled together for 2019's E3. The last dev comp before the scrap was 160Gb alone. There should be some whistleblowing in the coming weeks if the step downs
Series X was a mere rewrite of code and load orders. Next-gen's architecture is actually very good for ports. It's company policy to release when a game runs without debug hitches and the reason why it did baffles me and is the reason why I started this thread. It's a mix of hubris and deep incompetence from some big names around here. I'm going home for the holidays and really thinking about my friends who will be in the office for the next couple months redoing scrapped work without being able to say "I f***ING TOLD YOU!!! This is your fault, Boss". Next E3 will be bizarre for CDPR, I bet.
We've scrapped two whole arcs because the mission cleaned a save due to a bug with character placement. We've also scrapped a big portion of the underground and sewers because of bugs. Night City had three different types of cab besides Villefort and drivers would hold whole conversations and give quests. That also had to be scrapped.
Police pathfinding script worked wonderfully until somebody screwed the pooch. All I know it is already being fixed. It was a major oversight, of course.
Morgan Blackhand's backstory and a nod to the Coporate Wars. The DLC's will add a lot to the crazy and cool ideas Mike gave us when we began briefing the project. You guys should have the complete game by the end of next year, if everything goes well. I really gotta go now. Take care."

Update:
CD Projekt RED's first official denial of the rumours (source - official CD Projekt Forums ) has just been issued:

About the GamerFAQ leaks (original source), reply from Vattier, who works at "CD Projekt RED's HQ"

Last edited:

Valedix

Gold Member
a60fe56627421d005b45d06c4e08dbf5.jpg

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Was this person vetted in any way? Considering it's GameFAQs I very much doubt they cared enough to do so.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

Why should anyone believe a random anonymous reddit post?
The Reddit post also links to a GameFAQs post... am I reading that right?

If it's from GameFAQs it has even less credibility.

Quick Edit: I'm only 16 hours in to Cyberpunk 2077, but I didn't think Keanu's acting was "bad" per-Se. It's not amazing but it's fine and seems to suit the character.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Could very well be true, could very well be bullshit.

In the end i'm glad i didn't buy the game yet and waiting another 3 or so months until the actual PS5 version releases will be extremely rewarding (or june if all of this is true, i don't care, i just want a finished product)

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't possibly see how they can do a "No Man's Sky" style turnaround by June. It would take a year minimum to iron out a lot of the bugs and performance issues, , improve the Police and Civilian AI, plus add in features that should've been there to begin with (transmog, gun/apartment/facial customization, minigames). They can certainly do it, the question is will they?

I really really really want them to turn this around. The core game is great. They've developed a beautiful world with incredible and memorable characters. But they need to make the world work and feel alive.

Last edited:

I've been wondering: is that still true in our day and age? We've had several comeback stories with the likes of FFXIV, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76, etc.
It seems more studios are willing to continue working on their rushed/flawed projects and plan for the long term.

Maybe the quote today should change to : A delayed game is eventually good or bad. A rushed game is forever bad if the studio gives up on improving it.

nkarafo

there's a difference between making a concept that people don't like and releasing unfinished products.
both games were finished and had no major issues or oversights.
True but if an unfinished/bugged product is all that he means by "a rushed game is forever bad" then that claim is false since you can always patch an unfinished game.

Hugare

I am not sure to believe or not believe. BUT this boiler plate language needs to stop. "The update that is due to June will sort out all of the bugs."
I sighed when I read "we will deliver one patch in January and another one in February that will solve the majority of the problems" in CDPRs statement about the bugs

You dont promisse patch dates in advance, even less its corrections.

The Crookback Bog framerate fix in TW 3 came after months and many patches, and the problems here are much worse than that.

Imagine if they arent able to fix base consoles with both of these patches. Their reputation wll be dragged thorugh the mud yet again.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Hard to say whether it's legit or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm loving the game on XSX (40 hours in), but it does just seem like they simply overshot on scope/vision for what's possible for a huge budget AAA game funded by investors. There's only so much time investors are going to give developers to start seeing a return on their money. That makes it tough to do a gigantic game, with top AAA level graphics, voice acting etc. in a huge world, with a ton of content, that also runs well without bugs etc.

Something generally has to give there in those kind of cases. The only development teams that are going to get unlimited time to achieve that kind of vision are perhaps a first party studio as the platform holders are willing to take a hit on a revolutionary game that sells millions of consoles and gets consumers into their ecosystems, or maybe someone like Rockstar who has a cash cow like GTA Online that let's them take however long they want for their next big game.

Banned
True but if an unfinished/bugged product is all that he means by "a rushed game is forever bad" then that claim is false since you can always patch an unfinished game.

that quote was from a time where this wasn't the case, at least not in the modern sense.
technically even NES games got patched after launch but the way they got patched was by releasing newer versions on later shipments.

also IMO Star Fox Zero is a good game, it's better tha the majority of the games in the series...I even had zero issues with the controls either. the game was just a case of having a concept that wasn't mass compatible, especially weird controls schemes don't fair well with the general gaming audience nowadays.

jaysius

Banned
Well by June stores might have great deals on the last gen versions of this, probably the best time to think about spending money on it.

The Witcher 3 took forever to become decent too, it even shipped with awful character movement that they had to patch out.

DansDans

Sony is angry?

Sony are the people who gave the game certification. Sony saw the dumpster fire before it was released. Sony didnt want to reject the game because then they knew everyone would flock to Xbox to play

Fuck that shit. We should be angry at Sony for certification. Certification needs to change from now on to factor game performance.

Jtibh

Banned
All i see is a potential must have game classic turned into a floater.
The turd you cant ever flush.

June 2021....cyberpunk 2077 ,the complete remaster edition lol.

To compare this to no mans sky is dumb.

There is a massive financial gap between these two, as in fixing no mans sky probably cost hundred times less than it would cost to fix this one.

Tranquil

Sony is angry?

Sony are the people who gave the game certification. Sony saw the dumpster fire before it was released. Sony didnt want to reject the game because then they knew everyone would flock to Xbox to play

Fuck that shit. We should be angry at Sony for certification. Certification needs to change from now on to factor game performance.
Sony probably gave them certification providing they fix all the bugs with a day one patch.

Doesn't matter even if it's true.
The game systems is broke as fuck. I thought it's just visual bugs and glitches but nah, the mod system and how it calculates values for various pierces like armor and critical chance is fucked. Some items stack. Some don't. Some even lower the value even if it's suppose to increase it.
Just discovered I grind for days to collect legendary clothing mods and they don't even fucking work.

What else is broken in this game? Fucking hell, the core game RPG system is fucked then what else is there to defend now?

I could forgive the visual glitches but not this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't matter even if it's true.
The game systems is broke as fuck. I thought it's just visual bugs and glitches but nah, the mod system and how it calculates values for various pierces like armor and critical chance is fucked. Some items stack. Some don't. Some even lower the value even if it's suppose to increase it.
Just discovered I grind for days to collect legendary clothing mods and they don't even fucking work.

What else is broken in this game? Fucking hell, the core game RPG system is fucked then what else is there to defend now?

I could forgive the visual glitches but not this.

Which mod?

I've found that critical hit chance and critical hit damage mods do not seem to stack on armor pieces, but armor mods, do.

I think the Hawkeye mod (15% critical hit chance bonus and 30% critical hit damage bonus in one) is the best one you can get for those values.

All i see is a potential must have game classic turned into a floater.
The turd you cant ever flush.

June 2021....cyberpunk 2077 ,the complete remaster edition lol.

To compare this to no mans sky is dumb.

There is a massive financial gap between these two, as in fixing no mans sky probably cost hundred times less than it would cost to fix this one.
This.

You need lots of time to fix this mess and on multiple platforms. 2 of which is almost completely broken.

Sounds like complete BS. Fan fiction written to answer every complaint.

Mike Pondsmith was surprised and enjoyed Keanu. And you guys thought his acting sucked? You didn’t write a maniac. You wrote an asshole who eventually grows on you and starts to change. Your story was about 2nd chances at life. A maniac Johnny sure doesn't fit the story and character as written in the game.

Last edited:
Which mod?

I've found that critical hit chance and critical hit damage mods do not seem to stack on armor pieces, but armor mods, do.

I think the Hawkeye mod (15% critical hit chance bonus and 30% critical hit damage bonus in one) is the best one you can get for those values.
Bro the armor mods is fucked as well. Deadeye mod is broken. Armor mods is broken. I swap out different mods on my clothing pieces and the values go up and down even if the mods I put on is supposed to increase my armor rating. I slapped epic armor mods on all my clothing items and my armor rating took a nosedive. People on reddit confirmed the same. The mod system is fucked.
Vendors sometimes don't have any armor mods to sell. Another bug that was picked up and one I experience in my plathrough.

Last edited:

Rikkori

A commenter nails it:

There are contradictions and betrayals, like the final game being ready for June 2021 at the beginning of the post just to be pushed to the end of the year in the last sentence. There are both vague and wrong technical terms taken from the hackers from TV series, like a "dev comp" of the size of 160GB, whatever that could mean or imply. There is Christmas movie kind of stuff, like he going on holiday for two months while working for a company who made crunch their trademark and must fix their product ASAP. There are espionage and evil corporations, with bosses deleting completed levels and quests kept secret to the public because they don't like them. And finally there's sci-fi too: they have bugs, so instead of fixing them they delete the parts of the game where they occur, ignoring how coding works and the thousands of hours of work to make those parts. It's an entertaining fake and nothing more.

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bro the armor mods is fucked as well. Deadeye mod is broken. Armor mods is broken. I swap out different mods on my clothing pieces and the values go up and down even if the mods I put on is supposed to increase my armor rating. I slapped epic armor mods on all my clothing items and my armor rating took a nozedrive. People on reddit confirmed the same. The mod system is fucked.
Vendors sometimes don't have any armor mods to sell. Another bug that was picked up and one I experience in my plathrough.

Ha, you were right about Deadeye! I just checked. What a fucking scam.

Haven't seen the armor rating bug you mentioned, though.

ethomaz

Banned
Why should anyone believe a random anonymous reddit post?

Was this person vetted in any way? Considering it's GameFAQs I very much doubt they cared enough to do so.

The Reddit post also links to a GameFAQs post... am I reading that right?

If it's from GameFAQs it has even less credibility.

Quick Edit: I'm only 16 hours in to Cyberpunk 2077, but I didn't think Keanu's acting was "bad" per-Se. It's not amazing but it's fine and seems to suit the character.
It is neither from GameFAQs or Reddit.

It is from 4chan /v.

Keanu’s acting is really really bad in the game but I’m used to another level of acting in games (Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, etc).

Last edited:

base

Banned
So sayonara CyberBug and welcome CyberGossip.

I wonder if it ever gets fixed by Holidays 2021.

Kadayi

Banned
Bro the armor mods is fucked as well. Deadeye mod is broken. Armor mods is broken. I swap out different mods on my clothing pieces and the values go up and down even if the mods I put on is supposed to increase my armor rating. I slapped epic armor mods on all my clothing items and my armor rating took a nosedive. People on reddit confirmed the same. The mod system is fucked.

You know you can craft the armour mods right? The formula is a reward found in one of the Watson Blue NCPD sites (you fight some Maelstrom in a Carpark). It's a common component. You don't need to buy them from vendors.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Even if you take that statement as 100% truth it still breaks down due to the timeline and the amount of code that needs to be written and tested. That shit sounds like a LOT of content plus multiple big 'game' systems.

Top Bottom