• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All TV Steaming Apps from Xbox One Will Work on the Xbox Series X/S at Launch

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hadn't really thought about this until I saw the topic with big list of TV apps that will work on the PS5 right at launch and since I prefer to use my Xbox for TV/media streaming, I figured I'd better look into which apps would work on the Series X at launch. I was relieved to find out that everything that worked on the Xbox One will work Day 1 on the Series X/S.

Now, what about the Xbox Series X? Well, Microsoft’s approach is more simple – basically, any streaming app built on the Universal Windows Program (which all the Xbox One apps are) will automatically work on the Xbox Series X/S. So, if any app that was available on the Xbox One, it should carry forward, as long as the folks behind it continue to support it.

Serious question, but don't most people have smart tv's nowadays? What's the point of these apps?
I use VRV to stream anime. And my TV does not have a VRV app.
My xbox one is also using a wired network.
But it is indeed more convienent to just fire up the TV app for Netflix and Disney +

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t see the problem with people using tv apps (YouTube tv) on their consoles splitting between inputs is kinda goofy I love having everything in 1 location (games, TV, movies etc) changing modes is kinda crazy but what a lot of people come to grips with.

CatLady

I don’t see the problem with people using tv apps (YouTube tv) on their consoles splitting between inputs is kinda goofy I love having everything in 1 location (games, TV, movies etc) changing modes is kinda crazy but what a lot of people come to grips with.

Wanting to have everything all in one place describes me exactly.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Serious question, but don't most people have smart tv's nowadays? What's the point of these apps?

I'm wondering myself. I've tried watching netflix from my Radeon VII and it doesn't look as clean as the native app in the Sony or LG tv's I have, a bit pixelated.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
For those that are going to use then that is fantastic news. I try to use my TV apps for streaming and not have the console powered on for that. I had to use my Xbox for the HBOMax app but have since moved on from Roku. So far, Android (Sony X900h) has handled every app I use even if I had to sideload one of them. I am still glad the option is there so I can use the XSX in a pinch.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

This is good news, as we also use the Xbox as a multimedia hub. Don’t even watch cable TV at all anymore, so Xbox is used for everything. we also use the BD drive a lot as well, as we have about 700 movies on disc. this is why we are getting a Series S for the bedroom. Works much better than the smart TVs apps, and it’s all in one place.

CatLady

I like Steamed Hams, but i'm not sure about steaming my TV

Where does the coal go?

Yeah, what can I say my typing sucks so bad. You might have noticed how many times I have to edit my posts and it's due to horrendous typing skills Unfortunately I can't edit the title so I just have to live with my shame 😿

Quasicat

I would love to see Plex do on Xbox Series X/S that they did on Shield TV and make a server out of it. The shield is pretty powerful and can do multiple conversions at the same time, but on Xbox, it would be crazy with how fast it runs.

Gerdav

The main issue I have with using consoles for TV apps is having to switch game mode on and off for the inputs, game mode dulls the PQ on my Samsung QLED, I stick to the tv for the apps and just use the Xbox when watching 4K/blu ray’s.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There are a ton of apps that are not on my smart TV. HBO Max is one.

Speaking about that, my 2016 Sony XD70 has Google play so I can download games, apps, movies, etc. Maybe check your tv? Mine gets updates regularly since 4 years, last time was few weeks ago.

servlet.FileDownload

Yumi

My girlfriend and I have a smart T.V. and she still insists on using an old Roku, and my mom also has a smart TV and she insists on using her fire stick (not a euphemism for a dildo).

I agree it seems redundant but, It's a preference thing and they only get bad press from not including stuff like this.

Also, if im playing on my xbox and someone wants to watch a movie or a YouTube video, I'll just do that within the system I'm in.

Rossco EZ

only one streaming app i want personally is the apple tv app added (which i think will come as playstation are getting it and i’ve seen some xbox insiders have been testing it) as i have a good movie collection on it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

smart tv app are usally much slower then a set top box. Been using my Sony TVs Hbo Max app since it’s not on roku, it’s awful. Drops frames like crazy, lags like crazy. Just all around yuck.

Last edited:

Redlight

This is great news, while a new UI can be exciting, it can take years for features that you take for granted to come back on next-gen hardware, often things that you don't think about until they're gone. I'm glad to avoid that drama.

I stream everything through a One X, including a free to air box via HDMI. Some of the apps available (with region switching) are for services that aren't even available in my country, Hulu for instance. Not to mention that I've downloaded TV catchup apps from the UK that I use all the time (sorry for lying about having a TV license btw :)).

My 4k tv is from 2014/2015 and doesn't have the "smart" functionality built in (or HDR for that matter). These apps are greatly appreciated and save me from having to upgrade for a few more years. Hopefully 120hz TV's are cheaper in the next couple years.

Killer8

Thankful Plex appears to be in from day one. I was worried we'd have to wait for the app to be updated.

Last edited:

FatCamperBear

Neo Member
In some countries, including my own, tv apps seem to be regionally blocked by the brand (Samsung, etc).
So for us would be good news to be able to avoid getting another external device like a chromecast and do everything from the console.

CatLady

smart tv app are usally much slower then a set top box. Been using my Sony TVs Hbo Max app since it’s not on roku, it’s awful. Drops frames like crazy, lags like crazy. Just all around yuck.

HBO Max is on Xbox I hardly used it and don't have it anymore but it seemed to work fine.

I have an 8 years old 50" Plasma TV, which works fine and has great contrast/colors. Even tough it's only 1080p I don't feel the need to upgrade as long as it works. (If all my games I like will run in 4K 60fps I might think about it.)
Since it's so old it doesn't have any streaming app however it has weather apps, youtube and games which was quite new at the time.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
HBO Max is on Xbox I hardly used it and don't have it anymore but it seemed to work fine.

Yeah I would use it if I ever go back to consoles, my new Sony tv I got last year only has hdr on 2 of the 4 inputs. Having as many apps on one box as possible is always a huge help.

skneogaf

I imagine the xbox series x will have the better video and music applications due to dolby vision and dolby atmos.

If plex supports dolby vision on it I'm all in as I currently use a nvidia shield tv Pro for 4k uhd backups.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Your TV runs on Android TV as an OS which is why.

Do other android tv's have custom ones? Strange actually. Even for my old tv, android feels fast and responsive, but became better with every update, and it's been updating since 4 years and last update so far was few weeks back.

Last edited:

Self

I have an 8 years old 50" Plasma TV, which works fine and has great contrast/colors. Even tough it's only 1080p I don't feel the need to upgrade as long as it works. (If all my games I like will run in 4K 60fps I might think about it.)

Since my AVR doesn't support 4K passtrough I never bothered using 4K material on my 4K TV. I honestly can't see mayor differences. I'll stick with 1080P and performance mode next gen.

VAVA Mk2

Do other android tv's have custom ones? Strange actually. Even for my old tv, android feels fast and responsive, but became better with every update, and it's been updating since 4 years and last update so far was few weeks back.
Have custom what? Sony uses Android TV's stock UI but Google will be having all of their partners in the next year or so add the Google TV skin to TVs running Android TV that just launched on Google's newest Chromecast. Supposed to be nice so I have read.

I hadn't really thought about this until I saw the topic with big list of TV apps that will work on the PS5 right at launch and since I prefer to use my Xbox for TV/media streaming, I figured I'd better look into which apps would work on the Series X at launch. I was relieved to find out that everything that worked on the Xbox One will work Day 1 on the Series X/S.

My Samsung tv over time has become incredibly glitchy and slow as far as apps and the UI are concerned. My Xbox performs better, is updated more regularly, and has become a more reliable platform for me with media apps.

Hell, some apps have been completely dropped because my tv is so old. And I only bought it a two years ago. There are tvs with Roku built in that won’t be getting new Netflix updates. Never had that problem with my Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom