• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All (99%) of PS4 Games will run on your PS5, putting an end to the misinformation and fud!

TonyK

For me, if at this point we don't know if The Last of Us 2 or God of War or whatever will be same as Ps4pro or they will be boosted to 4K 60fps, it's like if we don't know anything really relevant about backwards compatibility for ps5. So, the doubts are justified.

TonyK

Anyone knows if the selected titles for the announced PS+ Collection are the same as ps4pro or are them boosted in some way, like 4k 60fps?

TonyK

-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).

SJ6kOVL.jpg

EnergyStar

Neo Member
Well they didn't work properly on the Xbone, were you expecting something different?
No. It was just a rhetorical question. Because Jim Ryan said that one percent are games that require special peripherals. So, it's not that different compared to Xbox.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
No. It was just a rhetorical question. Because Jim Ryan said that one percent are games that require special peripherals. So, it's not that different compared to Xbox.
Mine was a sarcastic answer.

However, where is the quote about the special peripherals? What type of games are affected? Please don't say VR

LordOfChaos

You know who I wish would put misinformation and FUD to an end? Sony.

What games run boosted? What does that entail? Does it work similarly to PS4 Pro boost mode, or is it even faster than that, does that break even more stuff so they have to be cautious, does it boost games already running PS4 Pro patch levels? Can it interpolate a higher resolution, and dare I ask retroactive HDR like Xbox?

Why is there still so much we don't know when preorders are already open?

Been planning on sticking to the Sony camp at least to start this generation, but I'm getting tired of all this, just tell us all the things.

Codes 208

I think the question was less about “can it play PS4 games?” (Because that’s a big fucking duh, they’ve confirmed so multiple times) and more “can it play PS4 games with boosted performance ala PS4 pro enhancements”

Guys, this is the same shit that happens every new gen with backwards compatibility. They need to cover their asses in case one or more Shovelware titles don't work, at which point it'd be false advertising which could lead to a lawsuit.

Though "99%" was a stupid thing to say. He should have said "all titles besides a select few."

CitizenX

Banned
All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).

So my new PS5 will maintain that solid 25 frames for Bloodbourne.

Scuse me if im wrong Sandy, the last gen was built on PC like architecture why wouldnt they just upscale/upgrade automatically? O thats right have to continue to re sell those remasters and charge for upgrades. thanks for playing.

All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).

So my new PS5 will maintain that solid 25 frames for Bloodbourne.

Scuse me if im wrong Sandy, the last gen was built on PC like architecture why wouldnt they just upscale/upgrade automatically? O thats right have to continue to re sell those remasters and charge for upgrades. thanks for playing.

I guess Boost mode can work with Bloodborne. But some of the issues the game has can only be fixed with a change in the code. Like that horrible framepacing for example.

I have a lot of imports from S. Korea, Japan, The UK, HK and even Australia from when I was overseas. I'm curious if these will all work.

Last edited:

wipeout364

The only person to blame for the FUD is Sony ; it’s all at their feet. If they would simply come out and say the PS5 will play all PS4 games out of the box except these titles The FUD would end. But they have been very nebulous about the whole process to be honest.

cjp

Can anyone remember how long it took for them to implement full suspend and resume despite announcing it during the PS4 reveal?

I’ll be waiting for launch and verified hands on accounts before I believe most of the claims.

The only person to blame for the FUD is Sony ; it’s all at their feet. If they would simply come out and say the PS5 will play all PS4 games out of the box except these titles The FUD would end. But they have been very nebulous about the whole process to be honest.

Dont You remember the rdna2 that was denied even when Sony, AMD and the whole world confirmed It?😂

TLZ

Banned
So after all the stick the Series S got for not playing the XB1X version of games. The Ps5 doesn't play the Ps4 Pro version just the normal Ps4 version, so just the same as the Series S does ?
It should play both without an issue. I don't know why MS is limiting the S when it's as powerful, if not more powerful than the One X. You'd think that's the minimum it should do playing last gen games.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

So there you have it that's backwards compatibility.

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

They need to tell us what the 100 titles are exactly, and show an example of how they are enhanced. And does that include enhancements to the Pro versions or just the regular ones. (it better, or it's super lame)

DinoD

So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

So there you have it that's backwards compatibility.

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

Yeah. Shouldn't this info be on Playstation web page, promo material or commercials? It almost looks like MS acquired them, back, around Dec 2019, and they let their entire marketing team go. :) No one home for the launch.
:)

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What people want are 4K 60fps patches for their first party games. When Sony released PlayStation 4 Pro, they gave most (if not all) of their first party titles patches to take advantage of the PlayStation 4 Pro hardware.

So far, they haven't said anything, which makes people believe they're going to sell us on remasters instead.

This is what I find worrying myself, too. I want to know what the boost mode is going to do for the game I already own and have yet to buy. Which Sony games will get resolution and framerate improvements? I bought Ghosts of Tsushime because I didn't want to wait, but I've yet to buy The Last of Us 2. I want to know if this game is going to get a 4K 60 fps (boost mode) patch on PS5. But the deafening silence is worrying. It would be a PR disaster if Sony decided to release PS5 remasters for a string of their most recent games, forcing owners of the PS4 versions to pony up money to get the improved versions.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
They need to tell us what the 100 titles are exactly, and show an example of how they are enhanced. And does that include enhancements to the Pro versions or just the regular ones. (it better, or it's super lame)

Cerny said in March that they'd testen the PS5 boost mode with the 100 most popular PS4 games and that they'd continue testing games till launch. Sony never ever said that the boost mode would be limited to those 100 games. The OP is simpley wrong about this.

Dibils2k

now if only they would bump up the resolution to 4k for all their 1st party games released in the last 2 years. Its a problem cause PS4 Pro turned out a 1440p machine so we are stuck with that resolution for these back compats

pr0cs

As usual Sony has been absolutely shit at messaging. I don't know what the fuck they're doing at Sony HQ but why is this BC debate still being waged so close to launch, even AFTER they've taken preorder money.

As usual Sony has been absolutely shit at messaging. I don't know what the fuck they're doing at Sony HQ but why is this BC debate still being waged so close to launch, even AFTER they've taken preorder money.
I mean I kind of think saying 99% of games will work is pretty clear.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Cerny said in March that they'd testen the PS5 boost mode with the 100 most popular PS4 games and that they'd continue testing games till launch. Sony never ever said that the boost mode would be limited to those 100 games. The OP is simpley wrong about this.

Ok so they will play, and some with frame rate or resolution enhancements but which ones? And is it the pro mode for all? Or base ps4? Any filtering/processing enhancements?

kruis

Ok so they will play, and some with frame rate or resolution enhancements but which ones? And is it the pro mode for all? Or base ps4? Any filtering/processing enhancements?

I expect that all PS4 gamaes that are incompatible with the boost mode will at least run in PS4 Pro mode (if the game has one). But that's just speculation. We haven't yet seen any PS4 games running on a PS5 so far. It's silly how tight lipped Sony is about a console that's going to be relased in six weeks.

A. That's really good to hear. Great news. Seriously.

B. Can we retire the term FUD?

Don't care which fanboy side uses it, I just roll my eyes whenever I see it and place it next to the term, "concern trolling."

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A. That's really good to hear. Great news. Seriously.

B. Can we retire the term FUD?

Don't care which fanboy side uses it, I just roll my eyes whenever I see it and place it next to the term, "concern trolling."

FUD and concern trolling are real phenomena, just like "cancel culture" some people would rather pretend that they don't exist.

FUD and concern trolling are real phenomena, just like "cancel culture" some people would rather pretend that they don't exist.

The question is when is criticism real and when is it the "FUD" and concern trolling?

Most of the time the line isn't there and it just depends if one side is trying to defend their plastic box or choice or not.

I get that it could be real, but 9 times out 10 in specifically consoles it's meant to silence any criticism.

(And to say it again, this is good news)

Last edited:

foxdvd

Just to be clear...all of my ps4 digital games(including ps plus free games) I will be able to DL day one on my ps5 and play them, just with no upgrades?

pr0cs

I mean I kind of think saying 99% of games will work is pretty clear.
Think so? Considering his thread is 4 pages long and it's STILL not clear what 99% means suggests otherwise.
Sony's messaging around BC has been shit, I'd argue that the messaging in general has been shit, have we even seen what the dashboard and OS looks and behaves like?

Orky

Banned
To be honest, this has been known since Cerny's Road to PS5. Hardly news.

no, not really, just take a look at what cerny said, it was very confusing and misleading potentially:

This time around and some game code just can't handle it testing has to be done on the title by title basis results are excellent though we recently took a look at the top hundred PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by play time and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch

So, what exactly does this mean? Not all games are supported? Not even the top 100? Because he said „almost all to be playable“? To me it sounds like playable at all.

Check it out here if you don’t believe me:

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
They really run based on base PS4 performance? What the fuck man, at least give them a "boost mode" as if it were a PS4 pro.

I was waiting for the PS5 to finally play GOT, you're telling me it will perform the same as in my old base PS4, so no point in waiting then?

Top Bottom