• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All (99%) of PS4 Games will run on your PS5, putting an end to the misinformation and fud!

GODbody

So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- 99% of the PS4 catalog can be played on the PlayStation 5
-99% of PS4 games will run on your PS5
-“We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5,” Sony executive Hideaki Nishino wrote in a post on the PlayStation Blog today.

"A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!"

Source

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/
Since your post was about not spreading misinformation, I cleaned your post up for you and added some sources as well as up to date information regarding backwards compatibility on PlayStation 5. You're welcome Mr. Playstation!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
While we don't have concrete information, I think it's safe to use https://gamstat.com/games/ and rank it by total player count to get a rough idea of which games are going to get special attention.

Unsurprisingly, GTA V is in first place with almost double the player count of the second.

Handy Fake

It's 29 games that have hardcoded 'PS4' somewhere...

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You jest, but the games might be hardcoded to the architecture timings I suppose.
When I was at Uni we were doing flashgames and I tied the enemy movements to the CPU clocks so I could have a baseline for speeding up and slowing down.
Tried it on a faster Mac and nearly broke my wrist.

Quasicat

When I heard of the 99%, I actually thought it would be Rock Band 4 that would not be backwards compatible. Harmonic did a great job getting a lot of the music back onto the PS4/Xbox one. I just figured there be some licensing in there that would make it very difficult to carry over. We shall see.

Poop!

Shmunter

But Eurogamer just published a piece that probably less than 100 games will work at launch. More may be added on a case by case basis like 360 to Xbox One. EUROGAMER

THEAP99

Banned
My idiot roommate told me yesterday "you shouldn't sell your ps4 pro since the ps5 isn't backwards compatible"

And I was just baffled and told him it is backwards compatible.. but he didn't believe me because of some random youtuber said it wasn't

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Yeah but how am I gonna play P.T.?
I really hope and pray the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is similar to PS4 to PS4PRO. I was able to copy P.T. to my pro using that transfer. Guess we will find out in November.
tenor.gif

OP doesn’t piss his pants 99% of the time, just 3 days a year
Better than my track record.

Karmic Raze

There’s a lot of PS4 games I want for the PS5, not to mention my sizable digital collection, so this is good news for me!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What % of PS1-3 games?
0.01%

(I guess technically there are about 35 digital-only PS2 games that run on PS4 and supposedly those should work. Also, I guess there are some PS3 games that got remastered for the PS4 and those should work as well.)

8 out of 10 dentists said 92.3% of all PS4 games that start with the letter Q work 63% of the time.

On a Tuesday.

Hope that definitively ends this nonsensical discussion.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Are b/c games running at Pro settings or are even the 100 boost mode games running at Pro settings?

G-Bus

Banned
So..... Marvel's Spider-Man will work? Does that turn it into Marvel's Spider-Man remastered or is it just regular Marvel's Spider-Man and I have to buy Marvel's Spider-Man remastered?

Also, what exactly is being remastered in marvel's Spider-Man remastered that won't be visible in the regular Marvel's spider-man? Wonder if it's even worth it

Last edited:

Deft Beck

They can't legally claim that you can play all PS4 games on the PS5 because then they could be victims of a class-action lawsuit later on when that claim fails to be the truth.

RayHell

It's Sony' fault when they communicate that "top 100 games are working on PS5" they should have known that stupid people would understand "100 PS4 games are working on PS5" .

Everyone is avoiding the real question.

Can we play P.T again pretty please?

Maybe you *forget* to block it and we can download again for ps5

KAOS

This might be a dumb question but I take it you can plug in your external hard drive from the ps4 and your digital games will work on the ps5... right?

Sweep14

Will all the compatible games in my ps4 digital library be available to download on my ps5 for free on day one? I still haven’t seen any confirmation on this but I’d like to think so.

I’m not buying either console for at least 6-12 months anyways so I can see who really has the games that I like most so I’ll know before I buy anyways. It just seems like a crystal clear statement that hasn’t been made from what I’ve seen.

Yes of course. Your digital PS4 library will be accessible and the games downloadable on your PS5

TLZ

Banned
Wait, so the games won’t get a FPS and res boost automatically if they are dynamic? Disappointing.
The games should get that boost, just like PS4 games benefit from being played on PS4 pro with boost mode on.

yurinka

The missing 1% is obviously Spiderman...
Well, they officially confirmed Spiderman is BC.

They better do enhancements or fuck them
They confirmed that PS5 BC has Boost Mode, like PS4 Pro had. They confirmed higher/more stable FPS (specially for games with unlocked FPS/capped FPS respectively). We can assume games with dynamic resolution will experience resolution boost too, plus almost no loading times.

Last edited:

fast_taker

Where is your source about being available on day one? I can see 99% being tested but nothing about public availability on day one.
The misinformation you are referring to, originates from sony's failure to properly communicate that kind of information.
I mean microsoft is straightforward about that. They have an well established ecosystem supporting backwards compatibility and they are pretty open about it, providing all info available. Sony's lack of proper communication makes me believe that 99% of ps4 games will NOT be available on day one.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The games should get that boost, just like PS4 games benefit from being played on PS4 pro with boost mode on.
So after all the stick the Series S got for not playing the XB1X version of games. The Ps5 doesn't play the Ps4 Pro version just the normal Ps4 version, so just the same as the Series S does ?

frogger

So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

So there you have it that's backwards compatibility.

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/
If they came out and said this at the very beginning, it would have avoid so much confusion.

Top Bottom