• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All (99%) of PS4 Games will run on your PS5, putting an end to the misinformation and fud!

So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

So there you have it that's backwards compatibility.

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

Mr PlayStation if that's your real name, what about the other 1%? This injustice of not playing 100% of PS4 but a pathetic 99% is going on far too long and I'm thinking of buying a Commodore 64.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Last edited:

ZehDon

Sources for your information please?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm bad at math, but OP how do you get 99% as all games?
Clickbait title from team damage control.

That said, 99 percent is impressive, and you should point that out instead of lying. You make it sound worse than it really is.

ripeavocado

Banned

I need a source for this.

lock2k

Banned

That's awesome, I'll be able to play the stuff I missed from this gen. :)

Reactions: TLZ
Sources for your information please?
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They have to test every game. This is better marketing then saying 100% and then finding out 1 of the games doesn't work properly and needs some coding adjustment and the developer doesn't 3xist anymore. Use your brains.

You realise I'm shitting on OP for saying "all" in place of "99%" which is what the official interview says, and what we've known for 6 months?

I'm going to have to dig out this crusty meme, specially for you

uSe YoUr BrAiNs
300px-Mocking_SpongeBob.jpg

I need a source for this.

makaveli60

Maybe if Sony came out, talked about it sincerely, or even demonstrated it, then there would be no worries about it. But their current management is the worst ever. I only want to buy a PS5 at launch to play my PS4 games in higher quality, as there is nothing releases on it that is a real exclusive besides DS (and I'm not that interested in that for 80 fn euros) and I still have a base PS4, so theoretically at worst I could play some games in PS4 Pro mode but they just don't give a fuck about people like me.

No, I'm pretty sure they're yours, I've seen "99%" and "overwhelming majority", unless you can point me elsewhere

Yes, we have a word in the English language for when it's a majority, but not an entirety

It's called MOST

AV

Are you an AI?

Can you tell us what EverydayBeast is actually thinking?

Clear as mud how it works still.

Starting to think PS5 is the biggest vapourware scandal in history.

I particularly like ‘A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5’ - Lord Sony you are so benevolent to your people, allowing them to take advantage in such a way... Get fucked :messenger_beaming:

Well done on ‘putting an end’ to this btw...

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
You realise I'm shitting on OP for saying "all" in place of "99%" which is what the official interview says, and what we've known for 6 months?

I'm going to have to dig out this crusty meme, specially for you

uSe YoUr BrAiNs
300px-Mocking_SpongeBob.jpg
Sorry. I should read before shooting.

Misinformation or FUD? More like a complete and utter lack of information from Sony.

99% of what they have tested will work. Not 99% of all PS4 games. But what have they tested? How well do those 99% work? Who knows. I think we all expect a majority of PS4 games to work. Also as many others have pointed out, 99% and ALL are not the same thing, speaking of misinformation 😆

100 or so games will be improved, which ones? Who knows.

There will always be “misinformation and FUD” until Sony clarifies this.

StormCell

WTF? There goes a lot of my incentive to buy a PS5 anytime soon.

Oh. So evidently my games could run better, but Sony has decided only an arbitrary amount will run better. I guess my copy of Cities Skylines is probably forever bound to run at PS4 speeds. What a crock.

makaveli60

Misinformation or FUD? More like a complete and utter lack of information from Sony.

99% of what they have tested will work. Not 99% of all PS4 games. But what have they tested? How well do those 99% work? Who knows. I think we all expect a majority of PS4 games to work. Also as many others have pointed out, 99% and ALL are not the same thing, speaking of misinformation 😆

100 or so games will be improved, which ones? Who knows.

There will always be “misinformation and FUD” until Sony clarifies this.
This!

Mr Branding

Clear as mud how it works still.

Starting to think PS5 is the biggest vapourware scandal in history.

I particularly like ‘A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5’ Lord Sony you are so benevolent to your people, allowing them to take advantage in such a way... Get fucked :messenger_beaming:

Can't agree more here. For all the 'anti-consumer' talk, and as a PS only owner since 2, I respect Microsoft for their BC implementations this gen.

Top Bottom