• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All (99%) of PS4 Games will run on your PS5, putting an end to the misinformation and fud!

Handy Fake

99%.

Allowing for incompatibilities I would assume.
Those they've tested that would take advantage of the hardware will have unlocked framerates and/or resolution.
If the games have those locked then they may have to be patched to "take advantage" but will otherwise work.

Science.

Bwesh

I didn't sell my old disks with the ps4. I hope this one is included in that 99%

pB9x0Uo.jpg

Sweep14

So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

So there you have it that's backwards compatibility.

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

The 100 games list doesn't exist. At the time Mark Cerny made his speech they had tested the PS5 boost mode with the 100 most played games and they expected to have way more games working in this boost mode at launch.

vkbest

WTF? There goes a lot of my incentive to buy a PS5 anytime soon.

That is not official, OP is supposing that because Cerny said 100 games was tested with boot clocks. I suppose Sony will do a option like they did with boost mode on Pro.

Last edited:

HarryKS

I'm interested to know which games won't work.

It's probably some Unity-based shit that no one should rightly give two fucks about, rather than some AAA title.
Keep saying this, they will practically all work. They just can't say it to cover their asses in case something goes awry.

StormCell

That is not official, OP is supposing that because Cerny said 100 games was tested with boot clocks. I suppose Sony will do a option like they did with boost mode on Pro.

Ok, good. That doesn't sound anything like Sony when they've got a clear strength that they can flex at launch.

Sony didn't decide anything. That's on developers.

That's what I was thinking. I can't see any reason why the Cities team wouldn't want to keep their cash cow going on PS5.

Silent Duck

I'm interested to know which games won't work.

It's probably some Unity-based shit that no one should rightly give two fucks about, rather than some AAA title.
It is just 29 of your favorite games you own that won't work.
Don't be too sad though, I'm sure Godzilla, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Umbrella Corps, and Fast and the Furious: Crossroads will all work fine. :messenger_winking: (y)

Trogdor1123

The issue is that Sony isn't communicating or showing us anything. Ms is just dominant in that area.

The fud is there because Sony isn't giving any answers so people are doing it for them.

Leyasu

Banned
So I've been seeing too much fud and misinformation on PS5 BC with PS4 titles. Heck even renowned journalists are acting like they don't know shit or propagating misinformation. So let's set the record straight on this one.

- All PS4 games(99% of the PS4 catalog) will be PLAYABLE ON YOUR PS5 FROM DAY ONE.
-All PS4 games will run on your PS5 just as they ran on the PS4(frame rates and resolution).
-A selection of 100 titles (based on playtime stats) will be allowed to take advantage of the additional horsepower in the PS5 via PS5 boost clock for higher and stable resolutions and frame rates.

So there you have it that's backwards compatibility.

Source:
Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

The missing 1% is obviously Spiderman...

Boss Mog

This is not new information. And the games that will benefit from the PS5 boost mode are games that currently run with an unlocked framerate on PS4. Any framerate increase on an old game with a locked 30fps framerate will require a patch. What we want to know will Sony and third parties provide these patches as part of title updates like they did with PS4 Pro patches. It would be nice if at the very least Sony did this for it's titles, particularly the ones that will be included with the PS+ Collection.

Last edited:

makaveli60

This is not new information. And the games that will benefit from the PS5 boost mode are games that currently run with an unlocked framerate on PS4. Any framerate increase on an old game with a locked 30fps framerate will require a patch. What we want to know will Sony and third parties provide these patches as part of title updates like they did with PS4 Pro patches. It would be nice if at the very least Sony did this for it's titles, particularly the ones that will be included with the PS+ Collection.
This too! Why is it so hard to communicate this to us? I really don't get it.

Kokoloko85

Considering what Xbox is doing for there free upgrades like Gears and Ori, Sony need to talk more about boost mode and which games

Iorv3th

No, I'm pretty sure they're yours, I've seen "99%" and "overwhelming majority", unless you can point me elsewhere

Yes, we have a word in the English language for when it's a majority, but not an entirety

It's called MOST

It can play All of the games on the list of 99% games that work.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: AV

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is set to take on the gaming world knowing that PS4 games can play on it will give it more sales

FranXico

Yes, we have a word in the English language for when it's a majority, but not an entirety

It's called MOS
Then trolls would come out saying "but most is so vague! It must mean a little bit over half of the games LOL"

MastaKiiLA

This information has been shared a number of times on this forum, and I'm talking about since a new member like myself joined. There's no reason to expect that this will clear anything up for the people intent on spreading misinformation.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So I can play games like 13 Sentinels and upcoming NieR Replicant HD and Nocturne HD on PS5, even if I bought physical version on PS4?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Playstation has been my primary console since the first, but I feel like I am getting out (for now) just in time. This whole time, I never realized the community was so damn salty. It's like turning on the light switch and seeing that bugs have been crawling all over the walls and ceiling the whole time.

Pretty sure the missing 1% is VR titles.
Maybe not. Isn't the PSVR2 rumored as well? Strange to think that both consoles wouldn't be able to run all last gen games better. It'll be interesting to see if the games that suffered from frame drops still do on the new consoles or if they even out.

Will all the compatible games in my ps4 digital library be available to download on my ps5 for free on day one? I still haven’t seen any confirmation on this but I’d like to think so.

I’m not buying either console for at least 6-12 months anyways so I can see who really has the games that I like most so I’ll know before I buy anyways. It just seems like a crystal clear statement that hasn’t been made from what I’ve seen.

Bankai

nah - there's still much uncertainty on the BC front.

You can try to "put an end to misinformation", but that's not up to you now innit?

Playstation should fill in gaps and show us that SWEET BOOST MODE!!!

60fps Bloodborne ffs

99% could also just be them getting 100% success on the titles they tested, but hedging their bets in case some obscure titles don't work.

Did any PS5 titles come with an obscure accessory for just that game? I could see something like that breaking as well.

makaveli60

Will all the compatible games in my ps4 digital library be available to download on my ps5 for free on day one? I still haven’t seen any confirmation on this but I’d like to think so.

I’m not buying either console for at least 6-12 months anyways so I can see who really has the games that I like most so I’ll know before I buy anyways. It just seems like a crystal clear statement that hasn’t been made from what I’ve seen.
And for the third time in this thread... This!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They only announced boost mode for Backward compatibility. Games with unlocked frame-rate and dynamic resolution will benefit from "boost mode."

What people want are 4K 60fps patches for their first party games. When Sony released PlayStation 4 Pro, they gave most (if not all) of their first party titles patches to take advantage of the PlayStation 4 Pro hardware.

So far, they haven't said anything, which makes people believe they're going to sell us on remasters instead.

Top Bottom