• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Extermination; a deep cut Aliens game that's legit scary for Halloween...and the best of the rest of the Aliens franchise!

VGEsoterica

Alien has had some LEGIT games...and its had some bad ones...but its ALSO had some obscure ones; Aliens Extermination being one of them! It was made by a company named GlobalVR and remains to this day an arcade exclusive that never got ported to any home console or PC. Luckily that's not entirely the case any longer as it can 100% be played on PC with some trickery.

But damn if its not a legit fun, relatively scary and action packed light gun arcade game based in the Aliens universe. Sure the concept is simple...shoot anything that moves, but the atmosphere and overall style of the game really nails what the movies were all about...horror action and suspense. Takes about half an hour start to finish and it's a great bite sized game to play this Halloween.

But that got me thinking GAF? Best game based on the Alien franchise? I hover between Alien 3: The Gun on Sega System 32 and Alien: Isolation. I guess both can be my favorite as they are WILDLY DIFFERENT GAMES

The Stig

i remember playing that a few times. pretty good.

But best Aliens game? AVP. By a country mile.

God I wish theyd release that on steam.

edit - or alien isolation. cant believe i forgot that one!

Last edited:
I don't know. I have a hard time thinking what looks like a lightgun game being played with a controller can be any fun.

A legit scary Aliens game thats perfect for Halloween is hands down Alien Isolation. I remember playing this game with the Kinect installed where it used the microphone to alert the alien. My wife would come into the room and I would have to mime to her to be quite because I was hiding in an airduct away from the alien. Game had amazing atmosphere. Great level and environment design that was true to the movies. And on more that one occasion made me jump.

I need to see how the Mother mod is going for VR. Because that might be the best way to play this game.

Monolith AvP2 was probably the best game in the franchise, pity it was only on PC. The 3 campaigns all merged together to tell a decent story and playing as a marine was legit scary.
The multiplayer was also superb especially the predator hunt mode which i'm surprised no one has ripped off since, the hunt mode in AvP on the 360 tried to copy it but they messed it up in the details. In the original there would be 1 Predator hunting marines but he was fully equipped, the marines had decent gear too but had to find the pred while he was picking them off, when a marine killed the pred he would become the pred, only the predator player scored points.
In the 360 game by rebellion, it was very similar but the pred had a timer which counted down which forced you to make kills you maybe didnt want to make, but also you had to scavenge for your gear so you had to rush about looking for the equipment and rush making kills so the timer didnt expire.

For something a little different, I enjoyed Aliens: Fireteam Elite for what it was. Returned to it recently for some bug huntin due to the cross-play patch

SCB3

Isolation is hands down the best modern Aliens game IMO
The fact we never got a sequel or a VR version is downright insulting

Alien Isolation is legitimately the only game to actually scare me to play, and I’ve played a lot of horror games and movies

VGEsoterica

The fact we never got a sequel or a VR version is downright insulting

Alien Isolation is legitimately the only game to actually scare me to play, and I’ve played a lot of horror games and movies
There is a VR mod I believe. Unofficial

Kilau

Gold Member
i want to slap randy pitchford for that abomination.

GIF-Part-In-Progress.gif

Kilau

Gold Member
Alien Isolation is the best survival horror game we've had since OG Silent Hill 2

Don't @ me

Holy shit, a HAWP meme on gaf in 2022? Were have you been all these years?
HAWP is an absolute gold mine.

On top, Isolation is so good it's hard for me to play, just pushes my buttons. I spent countless hours playing Alien Trilogy back in the 90s so I have a lot of fondness for that still. AvP was mind blowing on PC when it came out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can't really imagine getting scared by an on-rails shooter but I love the Alien franchise so heck yeah I'd play this.

Isolation is the only truly scary Alien game though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I definitely played that Alien arcade game at some point in my childhood.

Light gun shooters were scary back then; House of the Dead, Carnevil, etc. Sounds dumb but when you're a kid and you see cutting edge graphics like that on a big screen...it made you nervous, lol.

Doczu

AvP 2 by Monolith is my personal favorite as the devs really did the IP justice. Each of the campaigns is a different beast, the amount of (non intrusive) fan service was just perfect, great atmospheric soundtrack and good graphics for the day.

I have a soft spot for Alien Trilogy as that game scared menshitless when i was a kid - good Doom clone, even if a bit dated now.

Isolation is a no brainer, enough praise here so i'll just skip that one.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I definitely played that Alien arcade game at some point in my childhood.

Light gun shooters were scary back then; House of the Dead, Carnevil, etc. Sounds dumb but when you're a kid and you see cutting edge graphics like that on a big screen...it made you nervous, lol.
Yeah but then again, I used to be scared stiff of AvP 2 on PC when I was a kid. But now when I look at those janky models when they're comically wailing at me with their paws, it looks pretty silly.

Kinds are kinda dumb that way, lol.

op22

I played the Jaguar game as Alien before I saw any of the movies. Seeing my eggplant babies get shot at in videos of the lesser games always makes me feel bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom