• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation 2 Reportedly In Development At Disney

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Disney is reportedly in the early stages of getting Alien: Isolation 2 off the ground.

Alien-Isolation-Banner.png

The original, developed by Creative Assembly and published by Sega in 2014, preceded the House of Mouse’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox, who own rights to the franchise. That being the case, it’s unlikely that the Total War creator will return for a second outing, leaving the door wide open for another company to take its place.
According to Small Screen, they’ve learned of the project’s existence from a reliable source and candidates are still being reviewed, meaning a continuation of Amanda Ripley’s story has yet to leave the conceptual stage.

The supposed insider also states that Alien: Isolation is just one of several properties under consideration for a sequel, with an early draft of the story currently in the works. What’s more, an unspecified studio is said to already be in mind, though its identity is left unrevealed.

Without any further details to work with, pinpointing the name of this mystery game producer is next to impossible and furthermore, it’s not entirely clear if Disney has even reached out.
While certainly not indicative of anything, director Ridley Scott confirmed at the tail end of 2020 that a follow-up to 2017’s Alien: Covenant has been given the go ahead, at least verifying that the Xenomorph hasn’t been entirely forgotten about in the wake of the aforementioned merger.

Should nothing ultimately come of this rumor, however, gamers can still look forward to Aliens: Fireteam. Cold Iron Studios’ squad-based third-person shooter is scheduled to release this summer for consoles and PC and puts players in the shoes of Colonial Marines tasked with eradicating an extraterrestrial danger threatening to decimate far away worlds.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I give the first game a lot of shit but for atmosphere and environmental design it truly will be unmatched. The overly long length to justify the price tag when every game needed to have forced MP, when people didn't believe SP only would sell damaged this game.

Second game needs to be a shorter and tighter experience that excels in replay value. Going through Isolation to the end on Hard was exhausting.

Last edited:
Did anyone like Alien Isolation? I mean, really like it? It's got a great atmosphere at the start, sure. Once the alien starts creeping around and killing you though, did you really have fun with it? I didn't. Not because I was scared, I got over that after dying many times. Then there's the robot guys start attacking and take a million bullets to take out. It just wasn't fun at all.

kunonabi

Did anyone like Alien Isolation? I mean, really like it? It's got a great atmosphere at the start, sure. Once the alien starts creeping around and killing you though, did you really have fun with it? I didn't. Not because I was scared, I got over that after dying many times. Then there's the robot guys start attacking and take a million bullets to take out. It just wasn't fun at all.
I didnt. First-person view, too long, robots were dumb, didnt quite care for how the xenomorph itself was handled either. Still, a sequel with the right adjustments could be great. Disney being involved brings a whole new host of problems though.

MiguelItUp

A lot of people did, in fact, a lot of people loved it, including myself.

I personally felt that the atmosphere was incredible from beginning to end. Very immersive and very accurate to the universe. I most certainly had fun with the Xeno stalking. Was it frustrating at times? Lightly. But it also just felt incredibly fitting for a Xenomorph. It's been awhile since I've played it, but I certainly don't remember being THAT frustrated. Just tense, really, really tense.

Yeah, the androids? I mean, it felt fitting for androids to take a bit to drop to me. There were also a lot of scenarios where you could just avoid them. The game definitely carried the survival horror title with it, and I adored it.

I also love anything Alien related, so I definitely have a bias.

Was it for everyone? No, but that's just how it goes for literally anything and everything, heh.

brian0057

Banned
It's like Resident Evil 7 but good.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Yeah, it was fantastic. The only problem was that it was far too long for what it was, but it was almost exactly what an Alien game should be: not an Aliens game.

I'm pretty sure if you're emptying bullets into the androids you're trying to play a different game. I only remember killing like one or two. Could be wrong, was a while ago.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Please, for the love of god be true.

PLEASE.

I'd adore a sequel to AI.
Yeah but realistically doesn’t your level of excitement depend on who’s developing it? If it’s not the original studio, then there’s a %95 chance it will turn out to be absolute dog shit, as almost all big license games have been over the course of the last 30 years, particularly the Alien franchise.

Roni

Gold Member
I really really liked it

MiguelItUp

Yeah but realistically doesn’t your level of excitement depend on who’s developing it? If it’s not the original studio, then there’s a %95 chance it will turn out to be absolute dog shit, as almost all big license games have been over the course of the last 30 years, particularly the Alien franchise.
Oh of course, I meant to go back to add an edit of me essentially saying that.

It happening at all would make me happy, but of course I'd want it to be good.

Well, in the last 30 years we honestly haven't seen many "Alien" titles. Aliens, sure, a few. All pretty meh, unfortunately. We've seen more Alien Vs Predator titles than anything, and in my opinion those were the best series of games to touch that IP. But Isolation really mixed that all up.

TL;DR, I'm excited at the possibility of a sequel, but me being more excited depends on if it's good or not.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I just want a developer like creative assembly who put their talent and respect to the original movie and translate to a game like they did.

Would be pretty cool to see a sequel in a setting like Aliens, inside in an infested colony with colonial marines in parts helping but primary to stay alone against the aliens with more focus this time in action while maintain the stealth elements of isolation.

Like a newt game before the colonial marines arrives.

DeaDPo0L84

RE7 is amazing, what are you talking about??

I love how you propose the idea of someone liking Alien Isolation as such a outlandish idea, but then when someone says they didn't like a game that YOU like you pretend that's absolutely preposterous.

How about people have opinions, especially ones that may be different from yours? I happened to love Alien Isolation AND RE7, but overall I'd replay Alien well before RE7.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Count Me In Kaitlin Olson GIF by The Mick

Creative Assembly stay working. Rome remake, Total Warhammer 3 soon.

Not sure who'd I trust with the i.p. other than them though, you can feel the attention to detail and love they put in the game.

Old Starbreeze would have done a good job as would Arkane Austin.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yes please. I have zero interest in Fireteam because of the focus on co-op instead of a good story experience.

cucuchu

The Alien IP's universe has so much potential and Alien Isolation was really the first video game that saw that potential realized (imo). I hope this is true and hopefully Disney can us some decent movies out of it too.

I don't know asses from elbows when it comes to reputable Disney news sources but https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/rumor-disney-is-trying-to-make-aliens-its-next-mega-franchise/ among others if you just look around seem to indicate Disney is going to try to make the most of the Alien IP. We have a series coming out (https://ew.com/tv/fx-alien-tv-series/), we have Disney rumored to want a new Alien movie every other year in step with a Predator film for the off years (https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2021/04/07/disney-is-rebooting-alien-without-ellen-ripley/) although I really hope the rumors of a friendly Xenomorph are not true. All in all...a lot of rumors, although it seems like the FX Show is the only one that is truly happening at the moment.

If all these rumors are accurate and Disney is going big on Alien, AND if they don't tone it down for younger audience, I could see the series really taking off again. Disney does produce shit on occasion though but it seems like much better potential for the series right now vs if Disney had not acquired the IP.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Ugh, but why? AI was so good. Just let it be you money grubbing bastards.

What we really need now is a game that does Aliens justice. I know AI isn't Alien, but it's sort of the same feel. One alien, survival horror, escape with your life. Aliens was GAME OVER MAN, guns and ammo 1,000 dead aliens. We need a videogame that does Aliens justice. Action packed, run n' gun, badass Aliens!

Not by Disney. :p

iorek21

Isolation is an amazing game that I neglected for a lot of time until last month, I really like it despite being a little too long for its own good.

Though I guess human combat could be a little bit better.

Dark Star

Alien Isolation was one of the most intense experiences of last gen. I am so looking forward to a second game with similar gameplay mechanics, maybe more weapons? lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hated the first one... 20 hours of hiding under tables and enabling generators over and over.
All of that to run/hide from the "ALIEN"... which is not scary at all since we know this monster for forever.
It would be amazing 4h game but they stretched it so badly

Kev Kev

the first one did not hook me, despite loving alien franchise, sci fi, stealth and space stuff. i dont know why, i just didnt enjoy it. i couldnt figure out what to do and the alien got me like 10 times in a row and i just gave up.

v8zrJwZ.png

Absolutely people liked it, I loved it. And this "its too long" argument is bullshit, I never heard anyone say they wished games were shorter. Perfect game and still scares the shit out of me when I play it today. I've had a third playthrough going on for 15 months now lol.

johntown

Banned
I was excited until I saw Disney was developing. I don't think they have ever made a good game and I certainly don't trust them to make a good sequel to the first one.

Arachnid

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

Holy shit, this is a Silent Hill/Metal Gear level announcement for me.

Also, a sequel to this masterpiece:

giphy.gif
fwCoyuT.gif

Absolutely people liked it, I loved it. And this "its too long" argument is bullshit, I never heard anyone say they wished games were shorter. Perfect game and still scares the shit out of me when I play it today. I've had a third playthrough going on for 15 months now lol.
Agreed. The length was perfect. For the first time in a long time, I didn't feel slightly ripped off by a full price horror game.

Keep it 20+ hours.

EDIT: Wait. The OP says it's being considered for a sequel. How is that "reportedly in development"? Also, no Creative Assembly is a big deal. They put their heart and soul into it in a way I'm not sure any other dev would. Especially for the Xenos AI.

Last edited:

I know a lot of people say they love it, I've just always kind of expected that they say that because they only played the beginning, which is great, and then just say they liked the whole thing to fit in, but nobody ever actually finished it. I know, it's a dumb way of looking at things and probably isn't true. I just was so turned off by it. I started playing on Hard and worked my way down to Easy but still was barley able to get anywhere. I remember the first big stealth part with the xenomorph, spending hours trying it over and over again, only to finally pass and find myself in a hallway full of cyborgs I couldn't sneak past and I was like fuck this game, man. Sick of it.

Top Bottom