• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Blackout - A Mobile Game with Amanda Ripley (Updated: Read OP)

azz0r

Banned
giphy.gif

RuhRo

Is Alien : Isolation as good as people say? I have it on my backlog and never bothered to play more than the first 15 minutes. It just felt cumbersome.

Brilliant atmosphere but way too long.

Last edited:
What a load of crap, Alien: Isolation is one of my favorite games this gen and the idea of us getting a proper sequel was extremely exciting.

But of course it also sounded too good to be true and of course it was.

Bwahahahahaha, this is absurdly disappointing.

I just wish Isolation's ending wasn't so abrupt, which seemed to imply more was to come, if only it had more of a real ending it would be easier to accept it as a standalone thing and ignore whatever the hell this is.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alien Isolation was the perfect videogame based on the franchise. I can't imagine a better Alien game

Easy: take the foundation and expand on it in a sequel.

More gadgets and devices: a sentry gun like in Aliens, which will slow down the creature until it finds a way to destroy it. The ship/colony computer could also be malfunctioning and try to use the sentry guns to kill you too.

More enemies: Instead of just human xenomoprphs, we can have an Ox xenomorph like in Alien 3 too which is much faster but can be killed with weapons (shotguns/rifles/flamethrower) unlike the human xenomorph. Or a Queen that stalks you throughout a level instead of being a normal action boss fight but can't go into vent shafts.

More metroid-esque level design: this would increase the replayability by giving the player choice in what order to do objectives. An area with a lot of enemies with dark lights might be spooky and dangerous but have good items and be worth the trip.

Just some ideas.

makaveli60

Easy: take the foundation and expand on it in a sequel.

More gadgets and devices: a sentry gun like in Aliens, which will slow down the creature until it finds a way to destroy it. The ship/colony computer could also be malfunctioning and try to use the sentry guns to kill you too.

More enemies: Instead of just human xenomoprphs, we can have an Ox xenomorph like in Alien 3 too which is much faster but can be killed with weapons (shotguns/rifles/flamethrower) unlike the human xenomorph. Or a Queen that stalks you throughout a level instead of being a normal action boss fight but can't go into vent shafts.

More metroid-esque level design: this would increase the replayability by giving the player choice in what order to do objectives. An area with a lot of enemies with dark lights might be spooky and dangerous but have good items and be worth the trip.

Just some ideas.
I like your ideas and of course I would be very glad if a sequel was made but since the dev team is gone... :(

Pimpbaa

Fuck I'm so goddamn pissed. I mean i have an ipad that will more than likely play it fine, but I don't want to play a sequel to one of my favorite games this gen on my fucking ipad. Fuck whoever decided to make this a mobile game.

Doczu

Guys, don't get hyped, it's capital WATCH, so they are now hyping a third dissapointment: read = comic, play = mobile, watch = ??.

ruvikx

Banned
I'll look on the bright side: we know Alien Isolation's sales were disappointing for Sega, so at least this keeps the franchise "alive" (to a certain extent) & ensures the possibility of a future real Isolation sequel on consoles & PC. IMO it means they haven't abandoned it entirely & thrown it in the dustbin. We also knew Creative Assembly's dev team isn't really there anymore, so this mobile game by a different dev can be seen as testing the water.

I still want an Isolation 2 in which Amanda Ripley is on a colony like the one in Aliens. The first revisited Alien's Nostromo with Sevastopol station, so a sequel should revisit Aliens with the Hadley's Hope colony as the visual template (& James Horner's soundtrack as well). More Aliens & at least the possibility of killing one (i.e. but still having to run, hide or barricade yourself when more than a couple of Aliens are in the vicinity, for example, just like in the movie itself).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck I'm so goddamn pissed. I mean i have an ipad that will more than likely play it fine, but I don't want to play a sequel to one of my favorite games this gen on my fucking ipad. Fuck whoever decided to make this a mobile game.
at least it makes your ipad useful

Anyway, are there any talks of any sorts of this getting a true sequel on consoles or maybe a surprise drop for next gen? There could be a studio working behind the curtains..no?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/alien-blackout-interview-1203103736/

The initiative, branded around the “ReadWatchPlay” slogan, won’t include any other games, nor is it tied to a new feature film, 20th Century Fox’s FoxNext tells Variety.

“ReadWatchPlay is referring to individual entries for each one,” said TQ Jefferson, vice president of external development at FoxNext. “It’s exploring different elements of Amanda Ripley’s saga. ‘Alien: Blackout’ is a standalone premium mobile game. It’s not promotional for any other component of the Alien franchise.

“The slogan is the rallying cry for the activity that is going to touch upon Amanda Ripley’s story in the immediate future.”

When news hit that the game wasn’t an “Isolation” sequel and was destined for smartphones, some fans took to Twitter to express their displeasure.

Jefferson said on Wednesday that the company was aware of the backlash Blizzard recently received after it announced a Diablo mobile game when fans were hoping for a console or computer title. But he said he doesn’t think it’s the same.

“I can see some people making a connection between ‘Diablo’ and this, but I think it’s a bit of a leap,” he said. “The ‘Diablo’ backlash was focused on free-to-play and mobile, our game is a premium mobile game where you pay one price and you’re done. It’s a contained experience.”

Jefferson said that he believes 20th Century Fox and the stewards of the Alien brand believe they are in touch with their fan base’s expectations and that they were aware that some wanted the news to be about “Isolation 2.”

“But it’s not that binary,” he said. “There are a lot of stories we can tell in the franchise. We can tell more stories about Amanda Ripley without it being an ‘Isolation’ game.”

He added that “Isolation 2” is not in development, but that the PC shooter from Cold Iron Studios is still in the works.

The timing for the “ReadWatchPlay” campaign aligns with the 40th Anniversary of the original “Alien” movie. While the film was first released on May 25, 1979 in the United States, April 26 is viewed by many as the official “Alien” day and Jefferson noted that it was a “scant few months away. We have a lot of different plans going forward.”

While the initial reaction to the news of what “Alien: Blackout” is — a survival horror game on mobile staring Amanda Ripley — hasn’t been overwhelmingly positive, Jefferson said he is happy to see that it has people talking about the franchise. A team was in New York this week to show off the game under embargo, which lifts next week.

“Once they hear more about the game they’ll realize that it is its own experience,” he said, “and that it’s as true to Alien as anything we ever made.”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This dude is out of touch (with the fanbase).

You can tiptoe around all you want saying it's not the same as the Diablo situation, but if you have nothing else to provide for those fans then you're just blowing smoke up their asses.

It's not about "telling her story", it's about mobile revenue PERIOD. You were just doing the exact same tactic is Blizzard with Diablo, hoping to lure some fans into that cycle.

Take out Alien and Fox and replace it with Blizzard and Diablo and it reads exactly the fucking same. It's low investment for high returns by those that spend money on that shit model.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I don’t understand why they used Amanda Ripley (or Ridley according to the idiots on Gestapo Bombe) for a mobile game. Why not just make a generic Aliens game for the mobile wasteland? Why take an existing character from a fully fledged game whose fans anticipate a sequel? Seems tone deaf.

Fox Mulder

Fuck mobile games.

Nothing like following up a great game known for its atmosphere and tension with a game for your phone.

lifa-cobex

So i'm going to assume the're scrapping that fucking ace AI system they created for the Alien?

If you don't know what i'm talking about......

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So i'm going to assume the're scrapping that fucking ace AI system they created for the Alien?

If you don't know what i'm talking about......

Last thing i heard system was fake as fuck and that pos alien could just spawn anywhere.

Also this mobile game seems premium no in app bs so all you haters please buy it so maybe more devs get the message

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Youtube stream with proof that alien spawned.
Dude was so fing angry.

Long time ago def true

I remember someone saying that the Alien only teleports twice during the entire game. And both times is for the sake of the story (the first one is when the Alien kills the doctor that activates the elevators in the Medical Bay and I don't remember the other one). The rest of the time the creature is unscripted.

MiguelItUp

Wait, they're actually SELLING this?
Yuuuuuup... Isn't that horrible?!

"Alien Isolation 2? No. Let's give them what they really want! An ever so slightly different FNAF clone!"

Nothing about that gameplay screams appealing to me at all, and I'm a huge Alien fan. I'd rather use $5 on a box at Taco Bell.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yuuuuuup... Isn't that horrible?!

"Alien Isolation 2? No. Let's give them what they really want! An ever so slightly different FNAF clone!"

Nothing about that gameplay screams appealing to me at all, and I'm a huge Alien fan. I'd rather use $5 on a box at Taco Bell.

Hell, you even have a chance of winning the next consoles upon their release with the latter.

MiguelItUp

Hell, you even have a chance of winning the next consoles upon their release with the latter.
Exactly! I'm saddened by the positive reviews on the store pages. Anything like this getting any kind of success is only going to make more nonsense like this happen. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Top Bottom