• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Webb: Saints Row 4 - The Game That RUINED The Series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Saints row 4 is the only game of the franchise that I didn't play and this is because I was fatigued of the cringe style of the game and the tone in general of the saga. The first one was my favorite followed by sr2.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I like this kind of game usually, but Crackdown 3 for example was a way better version of this type of game
I don't agree, the animation was too stiff for me, I think Crackdown 3 was pretty bad. Anyway king of these types of games is obviously Just Cause.

VN1X

Banned
I really enjoyed it!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Saints Row 4 had some of my favourite gaming moments ever. Better pop-culture references than the previous games, the music selection, some of the super-crazy missions made me smile, and of course, there Stan Bush's The Touch.

Fuck this guy.

DCDW

They announce Saints Row 5 and I'm putting my money down on Pre-Order day 1. SR3 & 4 were fun (didn't play much of SR2)

Jesus fuck, I can't hang with this video. Do we really need sound effects and graphics every few seconds while the dude talks like he just mainlined meth into his dickhole?

Anyway, Saints Row 4 started out as a DLC and it shows. The same map with added super powers and aliens? It just didn't click at all with me. I think i played it for 5-6 hours and quit. Not a bad game by any means, just no where near as fun as Saints Row 2 or 3. I bought Gat Outta Hell around the same time as 4 and I never touched it.

I would be pretty excited if Volition made a new one that was more like SR3 though

Unk Adams

Banned
Saints Row 3 was the beginning of the end. Saints Row 1 & 2 were about street gangs and had a gangsta rap vibe to them which was what appealed to its fanbase. Saints Row 3 removed everything unique about those two games and just made it into a goofy, generic open world game without a personality that was worse than the first two games I guess in an attempt to try to make them more mass market friendly or whatever. They even removed important features such as multiplayer so it hurt the replay value. Saints Row IV was even worse, at that point it was a silly Crackdown rip-off. True fans of the series don't really consider anything past the first two games as "real" Saints Row games.

I was very disappointed when I learned that the SR4 map was the same as SR3, but I still had fun with the game.
SR2 is the best in the series for me though and I agree with others here that SR3 was when they jumped the shark.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue that Gat out of Hell did more damage to the series than 4.

Also 4 should have been called Agents of Mayhem.

And the actual Agents of Mayhem should have been co-op.

He's right about the cars and human-like guns ending up useless, which is weird because they have rewards and achievements/trophies around their progression. He's also right about the variety of side missions lacking when you start getting more super powers.

What I didn't agree with is his idea that a sequel has to have a brand new look/engine. That's someone who doesn't quite understand how development works. Of course SR4 is going to look like SR3, since it's in the same era with the same engine. Agents of Mayhem also shares the same style of look with slightly more refined art. People didn't complain when Uncharted 3 looked like a slightly better Uncharted 2.

By the way I'm not surprised Internet Historian has inspired other youtubers to follow his style of humor... even if some might emulate it and not quite get how to do it right.

Top Bottom