• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aleste Collection announced for PS4, Switch

Bullet Club

Aleste Collection announced for PS4, Switch

Includes Aleste, GG Aleste, GG Aleste II, and Power Strike II.

Jdzqtgb.jpg

M2 has announced Aleste Collection for PlayStation 4 and Switch as the latest “M2 ShotTriggers” title. It will launch on December 24 in Japan for 6,800 yen at retail and 4,500 yen via download. The physical edition includes a staff interview book.

Aleste Collection includes the following four titles:
  • Aleste (1988, Sega Mark III)
  • GG Aleste (1991, Game Gear)
  • GG Aleste II (1993, Game Gear)
  • Power Strike II (1993, Sega Master System) – first time released in Japan
As expected of an M2 ShotTriggers title, Aleste Collection will fully support M2 Gadgets and a wealth of options. Details will be announced at a later date.

In addition to the standard edition, M2 will also release limited edition bundle including a white Game Gear Micro unit featuring the four games of Aleste Collection, a white Big Window Micro peripheral, a 32-page art book, and the staff interview book for 14,800 yen.

w1FUao9.jpg

More details will be announced during the “Sega / Atlus TV” live stream at Tokyo Game Show 2020 Online on September 26 at 16:20 JST.

Watch the announcement trailer below. Visit the teaser website here.

Source: Gematsu

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What's up with those prices? These are Master System/Game Gear games, why would they cost 10$ each digitally? This is retro done wrong. If the collection included the much mor famous SNES and Mega Drive games then it'd be all right, but...

Hopefully, the further details announced during TGS is they'll be adding the rest (or at the very least more) of the core Aleste games to this package. As it stands, this particular ShotTriggers release is a bit of a hard sell.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hopefully, the further details announced during TGS is they'll be adding the rest (or at the very least more) of the core Aleste games to this package. As it stands, this particular ShotTriggers release is a bit of a hard sell.
I think they're packing half-collections on purpose. Smaller up-front investment into the lesser-desired games then release the bigger stuff later.

When it's a series like Darius, safe and secure under a contract with Taito, it's not a big deal when M2 splits them up because eventually we'll get them all. But a niche series like Aleste may not sell well enough to get a second volume.

dave_d

Wow, I thought given that I bought a Japanese Mega Drive mini because it had Musha that of course this collection would include it. Oh well, I probably would have gotten it to try out Robo Aleste which I never got around to playing.

I think they're packing half-collections on purpose. Smaller up-front investment into the lesser-desired games then release the bigger stuff later.
Given the games are essentially from the Master System & Game Gear, I'm more inclined to think SEGA has a greater hand in the selection (and possibly the license availiblity of titles), especially with their ongoing 60th anniversary celebration. Even assuming a second collection is planned and necessary for the project to be financially viable, a more enticing selection of titles--and inclusion of things like the MSX2 version of the first game--would still be warranted for the initial volume. I won't be shocked if this collection is both due to a partnership with SEGA and also a one-and-done.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Given the games are essentially from the Master System & Game Gear, I'm more inclined to think SEGA has a greater hand in the selection (and possibly the license availiblity of titles), especially with their ongoing 60th anniversary celebration. Even assuming a second collection is planned and necessary for the project to be financially viable, a more enticing selection of titles--and inclusion of things like the MSX2 version of the first game--would still be warranted for the initial volume. I won't be shocked if this collection is both due to a partnership with SEGA and also a one-and-done.
M2 has a close working relationship w SEGA so you may be on to something. I didn't think of it from that angle. Hopefully the end-result is that we get modern ports of the full franchise, seeing how Aleste Branch is also coming out and the time is ripe to introduce people to it.

cireza

Wow. People don't know legendary Compile developer and all the Aleste games ? That's so sad !

They made my favorite shmups for the 8/16 bits era. Every single time, they would release a game on a console, often pretty early in the life cycle, and blow everyone's minds with how well the game used the respective hardwares.

CamHostage

Wow. People don't know legendary Compile developer and all the Aleste games ? That's so sad !

I'm only lightly familiar with Aleste sadly (I always heard good things about MUSHA + Super Aleste but I never owned them, otherwise I never saw the Master System games,) but anything that brings back Compile SHMUPS is very, very good news. Gun-Nac Collection next, please...

Crew 511A

Xbox owners get hosed again. In fairness, I'm not paying 45 bucks for 4 8-bit games, but it's the thought that counts.

Top Bottom