• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcoholics of GAF, did you know that Bacardi 151 was discontinued in 2016?

Pejo

Holy shit, I was in shock when talking to a friend and they said they had never done a shot of 151. I was looking it up on Bevmo and one thing led to another, I found out that it was discontinued in 2016.

What in world are fresh 21yo's making mistakes with these days? What are they using to light shots on fire and then cough them up, causing a memorable blaze in their house? How do you tell the men from the boys these days?

It just blew my mind that it's gone now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacardi_151

Anyways, for discussion, whats your personal "Bad decision juice"?

Pejo

I actually did know this. From what I understand Bacardi wanted to change their image. They wanted to be seen as a higher class brand instead of something that college kids would drink to get shit faced off of.
An admirable goal, honestly. I don't feel like there's really any good reason for the consumer public to have access to something like 151.

Drake

An admirable goal, honestly. I don't feel like there's really any good reason for the consumer public to have access to something like 151.

The stuff was disgusting. I did a shot of it once back in college and puked about a minute later. I wasn't even drunk at the time. It's just that the taste was awful.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I actually did know this. From what I understand Bacardi wanted to change their image. They wanted to be seen as a higher class brand instead of something that college kids would drink to get shit faced off of.

It’s fine since Cruzan makes a 151 rum anyway for those purposes.

I was surprised by this thread until I realized that people probably just say “a shot of 151” without realizing they’re not getting Bacardi.

Pejo

It’s fine since Cruzan makes a 151 rum anyway for those purposes.

I was surprised by this thread until I realized that people probably just say “a shot of 151” without realizing they’re not getting Bacardi.
Man, another TIL. So the legacy lives on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh man, 151. I remember my 21 year old days a shot or two out of the freezer right after a long day of hard labor was so relaxing and gave you the biggest grin on your face.

Then I remember buying a 1/2 pint of it at the liquor store and went to a friend’s party at her flat, drank the whole thing myself when I was already tipsy (it went down like water at that point) and then found myself hanging over the bathtub a couples hours later offering them $10K if they just killed me.

I couldn’t stomach a solo shot of it for over a decade after that.

Last edited:
Flaming sambucca was always my goto "set fire to my own facial hair because I was too pissed to remember to put it out first" drink. So many good memories of bad decisions made because of it.

John Day

Shit i didn’t notice. Although here in PR there are other brands and options for 151 degrees. Cucaracha shots!!!

G-Bus

Banned
Used to party with guys that could shoot ever clear, never mind 151.

Personally never had the stomach of that strong stuff.

Top Bottom