• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake Remastered |OT| In Dreams, I Walk With You

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Played the first episode yesterday evening and it pains me to say that the bad voices are correct and this largely is a piece of shit port. Alan Wake deserved better. The characters look horrible (especially Alan, who looks like a bloated alcoholic with a dead stare) and for some reaons the game is unable to capture the atmosphere like the original. Also had some weird bugs already.

What the fuck Remedy? This is a disgrace. Shame on you.

Assaulty

I'm a huge Alan Wake fan and I've got to say: the new faces really bother me. Sure, the enviroments look better than even PC on high, probably because of newly slapped on textures, but that's it. The original game looks darker and the "mood" suits the game way better than the new "remastered" version. It's a good way to play the game for sure if you've never played and have a console only, but the original on PC seems to me like the best way to experience the game.

ZoukGalaxy

I was waiting this remaster like a god coming to earth, I love so much this game. I'm also a HUGE fan.

Then, I saw the Alan face in the remaster... I have no word. He is trying to permanently poop, isn't it ?
How they fucked so hard his face ? I just can't believe it, it changes EVERYTHING. FUCK.

I have received the PS5 version, I think I'm going to return back the game, I mean, I just can't, look at this ASS FACE !
He looks constantly angry and edgy, which is totally opposed to his mood in the game, it changes everything.

Give me the Thanos gauntlet, and let me ERASE FROM THE UNIVERSE THE PEOPLE WHO DID THAT !

FUCK.

Fail Tom Hiddleston GIF

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was waiting this remaster like a god coming to earth, I love so much this game. I'm also a HUGE fan.

Then, I saw the Alan face in the remaster... I have no word. He is trying to permanently poop, isn't it ?
How they fucked so hard his face ? I just can't believe it, it changes EVERYTHING. FUCK.

I have received the PS5 version, I think I'm going to return back the game, I mean, I just can't, look at this ASS FACE !
He looks constantly angry and edgy, which is totally opposed to his mood in the game, it changes everything.

Give me the Thanos gauntlet, and let me ERASE FROM THE UNIVERSE THE PEOPLE WHO DID THAT !

FUCK.

Fail Tom Hiddleston GIF
EXactly my point ! And if You stand under the light he looks like a turd.
Original runs 4k120 on my pc. This benchmarks around 90 while graphics are not really better but more distracting

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

EXactly my point ! And if You stand under the light he looks like a turd.
Original runs 4k120 on my pc. This benchmarks around 90 while graphics are not really better but more distracting
I think I'm going to stick also with the original glorious PC version. This is NOT our Alan, he's an impostor who like SHIT.

Episode 2 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Esppiral

Everyone complaining about the new face like if the original didn't look like a cardboard... There's only so much one can do when the source material, in this case the face rig is what it is...

Anyway they've remade mostly all assets and it is pretty obvious in daylight scenes it is a huge improvement, and no the original pc version at max can't magically add better models and textures.

I am sad that everyone is shitting in the remake since they've put so much effort.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Everyone complaining about the new face like if the original didn't look like a cardboard... There's only so much one can do when the source material, in this case the face rig is what it is...

Anyway they've remade mostly all assets and it is pretty obvious in daylight scenes it is a huge improvement, and no the original pc version at max can't magically add better models and textures.

I am sad that everyone is shitting in the remake since they've put so much effort.
Yeah, when I look at the comparisons (I mean really look on a large 4k screen) it's without doubt a big improvement.
And while I get peoples disappointment and understand some complaints about something's the amount of hate the Remaster is getting I think is unjustified, especially for the price.
I've seen Remasters that have literally just added 60fps and are £70, and that's considered game changing.

SCB3

The more I replay this, the more I am baffled that it was never made into a TV show, it'd be perfect, its strongest parts are the story tbh

Although the gameplay, well its a bit rough all these years later

Finished the game and it was even better than I remembered. Absolutely love the game and I autumn is just the perfect time to play this game. Annual Twin Peaks autumn maraton also sets the mood :)

I find Alan Wake to be a better game than Control. I haven't played the AWE dlc yet, but I will soon.

I really like the manuscript pages unlike in Control which has a bit too much to read imo.

Looking for coffee thermos takes a bit away from the atmosphere but I actually found all of them without a guide!

Poets of the Fall just rocks in this game and THE scene is fucking great.

Also a shoutout to the Night Springs!

Bad / things that should have been improved in the remaster are:
- FOV slider atleast for current gen
- driving is pretty bad overall and no option for inverted y-axis just sucks
- cutscenes are really choppy

8,5 / 10

Yeah I'm on chapter 4 now.
it's's one of the few games that was previously exclusive to another console that's lived up to the hype.
Makes me excited for Alan Wake 2

Yeah I just hope it'll be Alan Wake 2 and not Remedy Connected Universe aka Control 2 with Alan Wake.

makaveli60

I love this game. It is one of my favorites and actually haven’t played it for ten years or so and this remaster is awesome. It made me remember why handcrafted, linear, single player story driven-games are my favorite. It has a special feeling to it that is just not in there in modern games. And I think the remaster itself is also very good, it looks awesome for an eleven year old game with pristine image quality that makes the beatiful art of the game shine. I thought I wouldn’t like the gameplay nowadays but it’s still great with awesome gunplay. Which shouldn‘t be a surprise honestly, as we are talking about the developers of one of the best shooters ever. By the way, a Max Payne 1-2 remake would be a dream come true....
Anyway, I can’t wait to continue and I hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel finally. Remedy deserves the best IMO.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They killed the atmosphere in this "remaster". Just play the original on PC or Xbox (it's backward compatible). Resolution and textures are not everything. Lighting and atmospheric effects are more, more important in this kind of game.

lDYZ7mx.png

xqknjHI.png

OrochiJR

So I got this game gifted for my birthday and finished chapter 2 yesterday. I did not play the original back in the day, so I have nothing to say about the quality of the remaster and what is better/ worse than 10 years ago.

However while I really like the setting and the surreal story, the gameplay, especially the combat is very mediocre. It kinda is like a third person shooter before Gears came along to show how it's done. Does it pick up with chapter 3 onward, or should I consider dropping it if I did not really enjoy it up till then?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I got this game gifted for my birthday and finished chapter 2 yesterday. I did not play the original back in the day, so I have nothing to say about the quality of the remaster and what is better/ worse than 10 years ago.

However while I really like the setting and the surreal story, the gameplay, especially the combat is very mediocre. It kinda is like a third person shooter before Gears came along to show how it's done. Does it pick up with chapter 3 onward, or should I consider dropping it if I did not really enjoy it up till then?
If you don’t like the game then there is something wrong with you. Give up gaming forever. There is no hope for you.

Sensei

Platinumed the game and completed both DLCs at 100% a few days ago.
As many have already said ,the differences with the original are evident and they're not always for the best.
I never played the DLCs back then and, in my opinion, The Signal is skippable, while The Writer was pretty fun.
In the end I think it was an ok remaster, but could've been better.

I hope it sold well so maybe we could get a proper sequel.

OrochiJR

Yeah...the world was lost without gears games in 2010...
I know that this was released way after Gears. I was just trying to get my point across. That's why I wrote it was "like" a pre-GoW TPS. ;)

If you don’t like the game then there is something wrong with you. Give up gaming forever. There is no hope for you.
Alright, I will push further and see if it grips me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Platinumed the game and completed both DLCs at 100% a few days ago.
As many have already said ,the differences with the original are evident and they're not always for the best.

I never played the DLCs back then and, in my opinion, The Signal is skippable, while The Writer was pretty fun.
In the end I think it was an ok remaster, but could've been better.

I hope it sold well so maybe we could get a proper sequel.
Like what? Everything I have seen indicates its for the best. I always remember the cutscenes being so awful in the original even for the time. That was the only fix I was looking for.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I agree. Based on everything I have seen, this is exactly what a good remaster should be. Updated assets, improved resolution and framerate is all you can ask.

Not to mention, the price of this is $29.99, which will surely be cheaper in due time.

Looks like a good deal to me. Even better if you never played the original.

Sensei

Like what? Everything I have seen indicates its for the best. I always remember the cutscenes being so awful in the original even for the time. That was the only fix I was looking for.
If you're talking about the cutscenes I actually can't understand why they play so badly in the remaster. Maybe it was just a problem with my version (even though I think I was on the latest patch), but in both my runs they played at an obscenely low framerate sometimes (probably under 20 fps in certain moments). I don't recall such a thing back then, maybe because it's harder to notice when the framerate of the gameplay was already quite low on that side.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Alan Wake never really clicked with me, which was odd as I adore the studios other games, that was of course until I played the remastered version, now I cant get wake enough. Love it, and looking forward to replaying Control because of it..

I had this the other night, made me laugh. I could see it from the distance thinking it was some mad easter egg or some such, nope, just missing mesh. I just loved the out of place bright neon, really set the mood :messenger_tears_of_joy:

nGo2MN3.png

Just completed my first 'Nightmare' difficulty run - put it off for 10+ years as it always seemed too stressful but I had a great time... despite missing 2 coffee thermoses.

The faces are better. Come at me.

intbal

The 1.04 patch released today adds Auto-HDR support for Xbox Series consoles.
So if you already played this one and retired it, you might want to give it another look (if you have a good HDR display).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bumping up this old thread rather than make a new one, hoping someone can answer this.

-

Once you beat the game and unlock Nightmare difficulty, I know there are some extra Manuscript pages in it.

Do I need to do an entire play through in Nightmare or is it possible to chapter skip and collect the missing pages like that ?

Top Bottom