• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana Shin launches December 15th

anthony2690

Banned
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/akai-katana-shin-for-ps4-xbox-one-and-switch-launches-december-15

Akai Katana Shin launches December 15th.

Platforms:
Xbox
Playstation
Switch

This is an incredible STG by Cave that I use to love playing on the Xbox 360, super excited to play this again. :)

Edit:
I hope in the future City Connection port Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 as that is my fave cave game ever :)

& Then hopefully Dodonpachi Resurrection & Espgaluda 2, they can keep pink sweets though!

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I could never get the appeal of bullet hell games -- there's so much stuff on screen that's hard to understand what's going on.

Regardless, it looks well done.
They do have lower difficulties where it doesn't feel quite so bullet hell like & a bit more like other shooters in the genre.

But I can definitely see why it would turn some off.

Naked Lunch

Really awesome to see many of the Cave all time greats make it to modern consoles.
Just more proof that if your patient enough - most things will eventually get re-released - even the obscure.
Cave's catalogue is some of the best games ever created. The old 360 ports are welcome but Im hoping we get the original DoDonPachi down the line.
Yeah, I get that shoot 'em ups are about dodging bullets and all that, but some developers seem to take the concept a little bit to far.

It's kinda intimidating for non-hardcore fans of the genre.
Thats fair - but not everything has to appeal to everyone. The insane difficulty is what makes these games what they are. They are possible - even designed to finish on one credit with enough practice and skill.

Once you get good at a top class bullethell shmup - theres a certain thrill - an edge of your seat excitement - that never gets old, and never goes away no matter how many times you play it. There is nothing else like it in gaming. Without the challenge - it would lose that.

Dazrael

Ugh, City Connection though. Their ports aren’t terribly accurate and it’ll probably be a lagfest. Still the Death Smiles pack was a step in the right direction but I’ll wait for verdicts before jumping on this.

Naked Lunch

Ugh, City Connection though. Their ports aren’t terribly accurate and it’ll probably be a lagfest. Still the Death Smiles pack was a step in the right direction but I’ll wait for verdicts before jumping on this.
Can you elaborate? I thought only some of their switch ports of certain things had input lag - but were corrected on the Steam PS4 and Xbox versions.

Dazrael

They still experience varying amounts of lag on PS4 and Steam, their Saturn Tribute collection is nigh on unplayable on any format. Even Death Smiles II, which is considered to be half decent for latency, has incorrect slowdown timings than the arcade version.

It’s a shame as City Connection has many great titles in their stable but they seem to half arse most things that they do. They are no M2 or Hamster that’s for sure.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Infinity War Yes GIF by MOODMAN

Loved the game on X360. Shame that none of the 360 versions of Cave shooters are playable on Series.

Kuranghi

Yeah, I get that shoot 'em ups are about dodging bullets and all that, but some developers seem to take the concept a little bit to far.

I liked playing Tyrian for instance

Its hard to explain how to get into/play them, I think you either get it or you don't, when I play them I kind of enter a zen state where my hands direct the craft between the bullets via some sort of unconscious brain prediction of where everything will go, kinda like when I play snooker or pool, I just know, or have a good strong feeling of, what will happen and the barrier is more my floppy human appendages limiting me.

Its probably just repetition/muscle memory learning, later levels of Ikaruga and Jamestown (on harder difficulties for Jamestown) are too much for me and I get bored, would be different if I had a coop partner to grind with (also one can keep going and revive the other so its easier). So for me personally as soon as you can't intuit it in real-time I get turned off, so thats my limit.

Naked Lunch

Loved the game on X360. Shame that none of the 360 versions of Cave shooters are playable on Series.
Deathsmiles I.II and Guwange are the only Cave games playable on Xbox Series currently that I know of.
With Deathsmiles releasing late last year and now this upcoming (and Series consoles seemingly selling well in Japan) - I was hoping they back port some of the other stuff already released on Switch/Ps4.

Its hard to explain how to get into/play them, I think you either get it or you don't, when I play them I kind of enter a zen state where my hands direct the craft between the bullets via some sort of unconscious brain prediction of where everything will go, kinda like when I play snooker or pool, I just know, or have a good strong feeling of, what will happen and the barrier is more my floppy human appendages limiting me.
Yea - thats a good explaination. Very hard to describe that zen-like state. Once youre able to pull off 1CCing a shmup or even just dodging a crazy barrage - I often wonder how im even doing it. And on the flipside - how certain game developers are able to design something which is seemingly so maniac and chaotic - but in actuality has such tight and fair design within that madness. I dont know how they do it - but Im glad someone is out there making it...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

You are playing SHMUPS wrong then. There are two category of players it appeals to:

1. The people playing for completion that enjoy being in the flow, making use of the fact all you need to care is a single pixel in the middle of your ship
2. The high scorers that have memorized all the patterns and multi bonuses - this is not different than speedrunners of other genres.

The average SHMUP can be finished in 20 minutes.

Top Bottom