• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Air Twister Trailer [Apple Arcade, by Ys Net] Yu Suzuki Redoes Space Harrier ... and also Queen

CamHostage

Player character (pose, clothing and style of firearm) is Space Harrier.
Player mount is Panzer Dragoose.
BGM choice is unique. If Suzuki synchronizes the music to the on-screen events that would crib from Rez.

Yes to all of those influences, although of those, I believe Yu Suzuki only worked directly on Space Harrier (maybe he consulted on those others before leaving SEGA in 2011?) Thus the Harrier-heavy conversation.

Also, while Rez comparisons are clear, Planet Harriers did have some of that lock-on multitargeting too. Rez came out 1 year later.

Planet Harriers wasn't rhythm-based like Rez (and maybe Air Twister will or will not sync to the Valensia soundtrack?), but it did have a guy who had a guitar for a gun.

Last edited:

sCHOCOLATE

Yes to all of those influences, although of those, I believe Yu Suzuki only worked on Space Harrier (maybe he consulted on those others before leaving SEGA in 2011?) Thus the Harrier-heavy conversation.

Also, while Rez comparisons are clear, Planet Harriers did have some of that lock-on multitargeting too. Rez came out 1 year later.
Totally forgot about Planet Harriers.
Rez reference was solely regarding the music. Mizuguchi's Rez and Child of Eden were well executed.
I figure the Sega devs, across their R&D divisions and breakaway companies, observe each others work and share ideas.

CamHostage

I figure the Sega devs, across their R&D divisions and breakaway companies, observe each others work and share ideas.

Yep, I don't think I even really thought about SEGA's rich history in the "scroll-in shooter" concept until Air Twister put the lineage together for me.

Like, there's a line from Harriers to Dragoon to Rez that was dotted before and now is drawn in clear here. If you think about it further, that SEGA legacy existed in-between through Galaxy Force and Thunder Blade and After Burner and all that stuff. The jet game version of the scroll-in shooter got around a lot because it always made sense to try and make games that way with tech of the time. (And sadly, now the genre is basically defined by StarFox and its "Shooter On Rails" concept, since it was one of the first to have full 3D while still using locked track. Same game idea in principle, SEGA should get more credit for defining/refining the genre) The flying hero or even the creature-riding, though, that is mostly a SEGA concept (unless you count the 3D World Runner bosses.) It's nice to see that legacy continue in further games by Suzuki and Mizuguchi.

Keihart

Weirdly enough, i dig this.
Looks pretty off the wall, into my veins please.

I honestly, i think we need more AA devs on the industry doing off the wall shit with some semblance of production values...you know, like Sweary or what Suda used to direct while at capcom.
I find some comfort in the fact that we at least still have Kojipro snatching big money bags to do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just played it on PC. It's OK. I reached the 8th boss on my first attempt and chose not to use any of the available continues so that the game can last more for me (of course there are other modes and harder difficulties to play but I'm talking about the default story mode the game starts you off at before you even get the choice for anything else). Space Harrier is better (never mind sequels like Planet Harriers or other rail shooters like Sin & Punishment or Panzer Dragoon) but this is better than After Burner II and Galaxy Force II. It tries to be atmospheric and deep with having a ton of stuff in the encyclopedia-like section, but it's pretty sterile. It has some nice tunes and designs but it just misses the mark in my opinion, maybe a bigger budget or better, more experienced developer (outside Yu obviously) would convey things better. It's not bad and has a TON of unlockables that seem like they will add to the longevity in a way that would have been nice to have in the usually barren classics. It's worth having if you like the genre but I hope Asura the Striker will turn out better (it's not just about being faster, which I imagine the Turbo unlockable in Air Twister takes care of).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Picked it up on PS5. Space Harrier is one of my all time favorite games, and I want to support Yu Suzuki.

It's a good little game for what it is. It ramps up in difficulty a little too gently, but the intensity does get there by the later stages. It doesn't really add much novel to the mix and it leans heavily on Space Harrier nostalgia, but it's charming, some of the music is good, and it has a ton of unlockables and modes to mess with. As long as your expectations are in check, it delivers what it promises.

Neff

It's a neat game but I agree that it's way too easy in the early stages. I didn't feel the heat until stage 7. The visuals are surprisingly good and very trippy at times. Most importantly it feels good and the game runs very well.

I really hate the music and I think it was a bad call by Yu Suzuki. An embarrassingly derivative mish-mash of Queen, Enya and Danny Elfman isn't what I want to listen to ever (even though I like all of those individually), much less when I'm playing a Space Harrier spiritual sequel. By itself it's maximum cringe, but in this game it's twice as awful. This genre thrives on fast-paced, punchy music to get the pulse racing.

Not amazing but still well worth a pop for Harrier and Suzuki fans.

this is better than After Burner II and Galaxy Force II

I'd put it on par with After Burner II, but I think Galaxy Force II, which I've always felt is a little underrated, is still superior.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Does the gameplay get faster than the trailers show? I'm a big space harrier fan and I didn't know about this releasing on consoles, but if it feels like space harrier and gets as crazy I'll buy it today.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Does the gameplay get faster than the trailers show? I'm a big space harrier fan and I didn't know about this releasing on consoles, but if it feels like space harrier and gets as crazy I'll buy it today.
Yeah the later levels heat up and it feels more intense. The movement is slower than Space Harrier but there is a turbo mode. Lotta extra modes and unlockables in face.

Top Bottom