• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI and Games: How Machine Learning is Transforming the Video Games Industry

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Artificial intelligence has been adopted in many ways in the games industry over the past 30 years, but machine learning has never been considered practical until now. In this episode of AI 101 we discuss the fundamentals of what ML does, how it differs from traditional AI, what deep learning actually means, and the ways in which it is being put to good use in the industry.

[00:00] Intro
[01:54] What is Machine Learning?
[04:13] Different Approaches
[07:45] Why ML Wasn't Used in Games
[11:51] Modern Applications
[17:09] Closing
[17:50] Credits

• 🎮 Machine learning has historically not been seen as a practical solution for many of the challenges that video game developers face, especially in non-player character design, but recent innovations in the field, particularly the boom of research in deep learning, are beginning to change that.
  • 🎮 Machine learning is increasingly practical to apply in the games industry, and it is beginning to fundamentally change how video games are being made.
  • 🎮 Machine learning is used in player modeling, analytics, cheat detection, texture synthesis, graphical upscaling, animation blending, and much more.
  • 🤖 A machine learning system is built "to adapt to new circumstances and to detect and extrapolate patterns", and as these systems adapt and extrapolate these patterns, they improve at the task they're set, which is observed as it learning.
  • 🤖 The reasons for using a machine learning system are: designers cannot anticipate all possible circumstances that the agent might find itself in, designers cannot anticipate all changes over time, and sometimes human programmers have no idea how to program a solution themselves.
  • 🤖 Machine learning is a conceptually old as other forms of AI and is not a new concept.
  • 🤖 Machine learning was a dead end and failed to work at scale or with larger, more complex problems while symbolic AI continued to deliver. However, machine learning has seen a new lease on life over the past decade, courtesy of breakthroughs in research and large-scale cloud computation platforms.
  • 🎮 Machine Learning wasn't practical for games before, and its use in games was limited to some notable examples such as Forza's Drivatar, Lionhead's Black & White, and Creatures.
  • 🤖 With recent advancements in AI research, more games are using machine learning for NPCs and opponents, ranging from the AI drivers in the MotoGP series to the enemy AI in Hello Neighbor 2, and the campaign AI in Age of Empires IV.
  • 🕹️ The real AI revolution happening in the games industry is occurring in other areas of video game production, such as motion matching, texture upscaling, upscaling graphics in real-time, and quality assurance.
  • 🕵️ AI systems can playtest games and help alleviate a lot of the pressure being placed on QA teams. Companies like modl.ai are developing tools that run in-game engines to facilitate this for smaller dev teams.
  • 🕵️‍♂️ EA uses bots trained with machine learning to test games and find issues, starting with Battlefield V back in 2018 and continuing to update their testing tools for various games such as Star Wars Battlefront 2, Apex Legends, and Battlefield 2042.
  • 🤖 Machine learning is being used for cheat detection, recognizing and identifying erroneous behavior by players, which is often challenging.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It will change games in a much more substantial ways that may not be that great.

Do you remember Star Trek NG holodeck where they tell the computer the scenario they want? Well that’s a big possibility now. Just a generic Roblox type situation where you have this base engine and all you need to do is tell the game what you want to do.
Could be alot of fun in some ways but definitely takes away in others.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Driving ai doesn't interest me much. Give me combat ai that can think and adapt like humans. Also fit them with something like Chatgpt, where I can talk to npcs and they respond in real-time ( mount and blade 2 already has a mod for this).
Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I've always wanted in games. Or at the very basic, enemies that know how to properly navigate spaces and use cover without fucking up, would be pretty nice. Or at least AI on the level of the first FEAR but more dynamic.

I at least thought we'd be getting something like new Loveplus games with individual AI girlfriends or something. But having a Minecraft like generated world in the form of SKyrim or Morrowwind with generated AI with their own personalities or preset backgrounds and stories, but can generate text based on player feedback, would be a boon. Or hell, maybe our new Pawns in Dragon's Dogma could have personalities and grow and talk in response to the player character over the game(they already grow gameplay wise, match it personality wise). Eh, but I doubt the new pawns will have personalities, which is gonna kinda suck...

hyperbertha

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I've always wanted in games. Or at the very basic, enemies that know how to properly navigate spaces and use cover without fucking up, would be pretty nice. Or at least AI on the level of the first FEAR but more dynamic.

I at least thought we'd be getting something like new Loveplus games with individual AI girlfriends or something. But having a Minecraft like generated world in the form of SKyrim or Morrowwind with generated AI with their own personalities or preset backgrounds and stories, but can generate text based on player feedback, would be a boon. Or hell, maybe our new Pawns in Dragon's Dogma could have personalities and grow and talk in response to the player character over the game(they already grow gameplay wise, match it personality wise). Eh, but I doubt the new pawns will have personalities, which is gonna kinda suck...
I feel it's gonna be atleast next gen before we start seeing proper ai implementation. It needs specific gpu components to perform ai computations efficiently.

Last edited:
Thanks for this video, OP.

This channel is really interesting. I've sub'd. I find the application of AI and DL in particular in games fascinating, and this guy is clearly very well informed and presents his findings in a nice easy to comprehend format.

Much appreciated.

hyperbertha

Enemy A.I. is still chasing the shadow of F.E.A.R. almost 20 years since it launched.
The technology is there. It's the people making the games that aren't using it.
I don't think it's technology rather than coders being lazy. I think machine learning can propel us far beyond fear's ai.

Top Bottom