• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahead of Halo: Infinite, what do you think about the lore/main story?

Mr.ODST

Biggest wish is that the Flood appear again, we got snippets in Halo Wars 2 but that level in Halo CE (343 Guilty Spark) was one of the best gaming moments, just hearing them crawl about and the atmosphere was excellent.

Its why I want them to make an ODST Flood Horror game.

kuncol02

Banned
Making the humans a spacefaring race in the past that got de-evolved is ridiculous. It's like Bungie was foreshadowing one thing and then 343i went and did something different.
Ridiculous? Why? It's supper cliche but I don't think that's riddiculus at all.

Pantz

Hyped for it.

The lore is good but there's so much of it that it's hard for me to remember everything that's going on. At the same time, I don't really think it's all that necessary. All I need to know is that I'm here to save the day, save the blue girl, hang out with the Arbiter and the Marines.

I get the feeling like Chief is going to be rescuing some Marines that maybe almost gave up all hope and they will be real happy to see him. That alone will be pretty fun.

GymWolf

I kinda liked the plot in the first 2-3 games but then they over complicated everything with all the books etc., Halo 4 was fucking terrible in this sense, i had absolutely no idea of what was happening.

Right now i just hope for a good sandbox fps, i don't give a fuck about the plot anymore unless they start something new and completely unrelated to the past, also i never really cared for green can man to begin with.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ridiculous? Why? It's supper cliche but I don't think that's riddiculus at all.

The Forerunners being able to completely wipeout and de-evolve the Human race suggests discrepancy in tech and power that doesn't make sense. Originally, the Forerunners were supposed to be Humans or their ancestors or guardians/creators, but Bungie changed that around the time of Halo 3's development.

The whole Human/Covenant war happened when the Covenant scanned Harvest and found that the Forerunner artifacts picked up on the scan were actually humans. Some of the dialogue and terminals also hinted at that. Gravemind calling Chief the child of his enemy, and Guilty Spark calling chief a Forerunner. In one of the terminals, the Librarian refers to humans as some kind of special find, or something, which doesn't sound like a way one would refer to a rival species that you had an intergalactic war with.

Even take this, a long ago forum post from a Bungie employee: http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive36.pl?read=1070818

One of the most striking retcons to me is the basic concept of whole role of humanity. Originally (back in Halo 1) the reason why humans weren't conquered and incorporated into the Covenant collective was because their presence defied Covenant religion. When the Covenant discovered humans, they knew they were forerunners, but their presence implied the "great journey" failed. They also weren't the all powerful gods they worshiped, so the Prophets wanted to "sweep them under the carpet," as it were.

The plot lines in our games imply this everywhere - the chief being called reclaimer, only humans being able to retrieve and insert the index, Spark telling the chief, "you are forerunner." etc.

They should have kept it that way, in my opinion. Having humans be punished stepchildren is very anticlimactic. The irony of The Covenant trying to destroy the very beings they revere and then bury the truth has a ton of dramatic irony and poetic underpinnings for the notions of faith, religion, dogma, honor, and justice. How it played out eventually was pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I need to dial back a bias i have in order to answer this correctly. Years ago, like, almost 20 years ago now, i decided that halo ce was all it needed to be, that halo 2 and any other sequel was blood-from-stone money grubbing trash.

So i need to put that aside and think of Halo's expanded universe as something more than mediocre militaristic proxy us marine culture ham, and so i... I...

I can't, I'm sorry, you might be able to perceive the single fat battlescarred tears shed behind those oh so badass glare proof visors, but i can't.

My thoughts on Halo's story? Well i liked how he escaped the pillar of autumn, i like how a bunch of hapless marines also survived to be confetti in later firefights, i liked how that giant metal plated cave was not a natural formation (introducing me to the concept of criticising computer games) i like how commander keens (that was his name right?) got away but then got captured and shoved into a congealed gelatinous cube, i like how that robot went homicidal-crazy and tried to kill you and how you outsmarted him and got away. I like how the zombies died from shotgun blasts to the stomach and could generally be danced around. I like how Master Chief (not "MC") was gruff, short and clipped with Cortana. I like how Cortana was a star trek computer analogy with an attitude but little more. It was the best fps I've ever played on a console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom