• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ah shit: Intel CEO says chip shortage could last until 2023

Lupingosei

Banned

It could take one or two years to get back to a reasonable supply-and-demand balance in the semiconductor industry, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal after the company posted second-quarter earnings on Thursday. "We have a long way to go yet," he said. "It just takes a long time to build [manufacturing] capacity."

and

"Our estimates are it’s probably two years for the industry to work through it because, as you say, it takes a while to build a fabrication, or a fab, as we like to call it in the industry," he said during that appearance in April.

This will probably also mean, prices stay as high as they are or it can even get worse.

molasar

Banned
"You'll own nothing, and you'll be happy."

ky78TTuvCptp_640x360.jpg

Papacheeks

Banned
Hope these past couple years have waken people up specifically CEO's, wall street ass hats, that reliance on China is not good. We use to have Texas Instruments making cpu's for server's and company's back in the day. IBM Use to make their own stuff.

I mean with how automated fabrication is now, I see no reason to rely on china for chip manufacturing. It can be done in people's country's especially USA. We just have to many rich assholes who would rather use China. When with all the cost saving of not having to import or give breaks to China we could make a lot of these in house.

Vlodril

I think sony and microsoft should have held off releasing their new consoles tbh. Now were in this akward spot where there is a few million ps5’s out there, but not enough for sony to make many games that utilize the tech exclusively (lots of cross gen games going into next year)
The ps5 is selling more than the ps4 (or practically the same). Why would they wait. This narrative has been going on for a while but it never made any sense. The cross gen games have nothing to do with how many consoles they are selling but more to do with a turn in the company's philosophy i guess.

kuncol02

Banned
Wait until they actually tell us the truth, that they have almost exhausted the planet of all natural elements and they can’t actually manufacture enough things anymore….and we are ultimately plummeting towards the end of days!

….mwuahahahaha….……

….
…ha
You realize that chips are made from silicon. Literally most common chemical element after oxygen. They simply weren't increasing enough production capabilities of chips making and now we literally have one company that can produce chips in small enough process for modern devices.

Stuart360

I think sony and microsoft should have held off releasing their new consoles tbh. Now were in this akward spot where there is a few million ps5’s out there, but not enough for sony to make many games that utilize the tech exclusively (lots of cross gen games going into next year)
For me it just means that this gen will go on a year or two longer than Sony and Microsoft probably initially planned.
I bet any PS6/Xbox 5 wont release until 2028 or 2029.

RaySoft

Hope these past couple years have waken people up specifically CEO's, wall street ass hats, that reliance on China is not good. We use to have Texas Instruments making cpu's for server's and company's back in the day. IBM Use to make their own stuff.

I mean with how automated fabrication is now, I see no reason to rely on china for chip manufacturing. It can be done in people's country's especially USA. We just have to many rich assholes who would rather use China. When with all the cost saving of not having to import or give breaks to China we could make a lot of these in house.
Good luck with that! It's already too late. China has played the long game, now having monopoly of some rare earth minerals that are required to produce IC chips. This is due to western capitalism, selling off the mining fields to the chineese since it was cheaper to buy the finished product overseas than to make them on US soil.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Awesome. I can't wait to waste weeks of my life vying for a 4090 next year. With any luck it will stay this way for the 5090 too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For AMD sure. Intel's going to start bundling in CPU's with cereal at some point trying to give them away.

The ps5 is selling more than the ps4 (or practically the same). Why would they wait. This narrative has been going on for a while but it never made any sense. The cross gen games have nothing to do with how many consoles they are selling but more to do with a turn in the company's philosophy i guess.
PS5 is selling more than PS4 at the same time. Imagine without any shortage how PS5 would sell!

Rayderism

Maybe by then, the PS5 will get a sensibly sized version (slim), and the internal storage will be removable, and the extended SSD port will be enabled, and most, if not all, of the promised features will be added.....and many of it's games will be discounted.....and the PS6 will be just around the corner.....and it will start all over again.

cebri.one

I doubt it, with new production coming online in 2022 plus the end of the last crypto fever there should be an abrupt decent in some tranches of current semiconductor demand. It is true that Intel has always struggled to keep up with demand but it won't be as extreme as it has been in the last 12 months.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You realize that chips are made from silicon. Literally most common chemical element after oxygen. They simply weren't increasing enough production capabilities of chips making and now we literally have one company that can produce chips in small enough process for modern devices.

Good to see silicone just floats in an antigravity container next to our tvs and doesn't rely on anything like substrate....which is in massive short supply at the minute.

Also, my post was a bit doom and gloom but it was somewhat of a joke. I literally pulled the comment from my ass.

But yes, as you are aware. Silicone isn't the only material used to make pcb boards, network chips, controllers.

Substrate is fucked and that's from first hand conversations I've had with key individuals.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Ellery

Aren't Intel CPU widely available even below MSRP? At least for me that is the case if I check them. Available and below MSRP.

Or is it like different chips for other stuff.

Tbf the recent Intel CPUs suck compared to the much better offering from AMD, but even AMD CPUs are widely available.

Reallink

Sony has already officially stated they expect shortages to last into 2023, and that's likely the optimistic projection. You won't be seeing consoles, cars, or many PC parts readily available at anything approaching normalized prices for years. Consoles, by nature of being uniquely price locked for a decade, are probably the only category that won't see a permanent 20% - 50% price inflation (that goes everything, not just semiconductor related). Nearly 50% of the world's money (in existence and throughout all of history) has been printed in 2020 and 2021 alone. You don't do that and just go back to normal, catastrophic economic and/or societal collapses are all but inevitable in the near to mid terms.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Easy to get rid of it, start productions over sea's. All non issue's.
? This obviously flew above your head. Sorry.

Edit: Thought I needed some backround info here obviously... You can't just give your contract's to others when China is sitting on over 90% of the minerals needed to make said chips. On some minerals they even have monopoly. Please do some reading, it's not hard.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got my PS5 from PlayStation Direct on Tuesday and my Series X back in June. I have all the hardware I need for the next 18 months so I'm good. Good luck everyone.

Buggy Loop

So glad I managed to find all the PC components during these times, including a 3060 initially, and then a 3080 Ti. Rest of PC was much easier, although the 5600X initially was a bit tough to find, but much much easier than ampere cards.

I ain’t even looking to upgrade a single piece of hardware until years and years now.

Also, Asus TUF series blew my mind in build quality, the freaking shroud is made of metal! First time I get a card with such a premium feel, all the other ones were plastic. This thing goes 65C in a freaking NR200 small form factor case, barely any fan noises. The 3080 TI is actually much more silent than the EVGA 3060.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Wich isn't a problem for them tbh, covid delayed a lot of games so we will be seeing more cross gen than usual

Fare thee well

Neophyte
People always wanted the gaming community to grow back in the 90s when 'it wasn't cool.' We regret everything! Lol.

Imagine your grandparents competing against you for your new graphics card. Can supply meet this demand? More importantly does any company give a shit if it doesnt?

And then you get things like New World/GPU-companies annihilating the already rare stock of new cards forcing more people back into the demand pool.

There is only one solution left! We must make gaming uncool again! 😆. I kid, but damn this sucks.

it really is a bitch getting a next gen console. even when i got serious about it, it still took me like 2 months to actually get a PS5. it was frustating as hell sitting on my computer all morning waiting for drops. it was worth it though. will start looking for an XSX probably early next year. stock trackers are the key. they'll give you an accurate heads up on when to expect stock and at what retailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom