• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV - What did they do to my boy?

Shrap

I know RTS games aren't as big these days but what happened here? Have they just not put much money into it? Where's the inspiration? It all looks so... utilitarian. Spot the difference:

Age-of-Empires-IV-India.jpg

2f9lcotk5i471.jpg

aoe3de_08.jpg

apps.58246.13905755391310011.9376583e-defd-4f7c-8554-7b32d81fb296.c86a0b3f-fbf0-4a4d-9dd7-729da6985919

Top 2 are AOE 4 and the bottom 2 are AOE 3 definitive edition.

aba.gif

Last edited:

TheAssist

I kinda feel you. I sometimes imagine a Company of Heroes 3, but with actual top notch graphics.

I mean imagine the atmosphere when tanks roll through mud, artillerie rips apart structures and blows up holes in the ground, smoke coming out of tanks guns or flaks, the list goes and on. It could look so amazing. And yeah maybe I am a cheap graphics whore for basically wanting CoH 1 with modern (and with modern I mean good, not mobile level) graphics. Everything else was already fine. Just some new maps and units and we're golden.

I guess DOTA like games have ruined the genre to an extend, since these often became free to play and had to run on any toaster with an intel celeron or on integrated graphics.

But I am ready for a true "next gen" rts.

Since when has AOE ever been about looks lol it is 100% bout the gameplay only real OG AOE players will know. You people with your graphics i mean seriously if Games were only bout how good it looks than Minecraft would have die off a long time ago, graphics is not what a game is only about the gameplay is way more important than Graphics.

Last edited:

Shrap

It looks fine to me.

They're probably not pushing the graphics much because they want to sell the game to lower end pc users.... Which is fine. I hope they can bring back the golden age of Rts games, when many people played them! If the graphics are the price to be paid for... Well, it's worth!
That's the problem though. The game looks fine. The gameplay looks fine. But it doesn't look inspired. It's like a robot was fed a bunch of AOE data and was asked to create a game out of it.

Fine is the perfect word to describe it.

The thing u are missing is that its complete dog shit looking and not even remotely worth of age of empire 4 title.

Specially when stuff like this already exists for a couple of years.

anno-1800_6042515.jpg
This isn’t a city builder it’s an RTS game, clarity of units and characters is far more important, no one is zooming all the way in to look at grass details 😂😂

kuncol02

Banned

I know RTS games aren't as big these days but what happened here? Have they just not put much money into it? Where's the inspiration? It all looks so... utilitarian. Spot the difference:

Age-of-Empires-IV-India.jpg

2f9lcotk5i471.jpg

aoe3de_08.jpg

apps.58246.13905755391310011.9376583e-defd-4f7c-8554-7b32d81fb296.c86a0b3f-fbf0-4a4d-9dd7-729da6985919

Top 2 are AOE 4 and the bottom 2 are AOE 3 definitive edition.

aba.gif

Maybe unpopular opinion, but AoE4 looks better for me. AoE3 had way to much unnecesary detail that made game hard to read. At least for me.

Kenpachii

This isn’t a city builder it’s an RTS game, clarity of units and characters is far more important, no one is zooming all the way in to look at grass details 😂😂

Believe it or not, but there is actually fightning in that game with huge sea battles.

Anyway, we are moving into next generation well its already here. i expected atleast anno 1800 quality buildings and enviroments and boat details with units.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Are they the same developers for Advanced Wars? Because they both look like uninspired crap.
"Uninspired crap" doesn't get multiple sequels and/or remakes. They're both unique enough to stand on their own, especially at the time they came to exist. In the end, they're both pretty niche and not for everyone.

But that could be said about a lot of other games.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Since when has AOE ever been about looks lol it is 100% bout the gameplay only real OG AOE players will know. You people with your graphics i mean seriously if Games were only bout how good it looks than Minecraft would have die off a long time ago, graphics is not what a game is only about the gameplay is way more important than Graphics.

This is 2021. Good gameplay expected, good graphics assumed.

The popularity of Minecraft just means we are plagued by a lot of stupid people in this world with low expectations. Idiocracy is here.

sainraja

I am just glad we are actually getting a new RTS game! Loved Age of Empires 3 (that's kinda when I got into the series). But I also hope Blizzard gets their act together and releases WarCraft 4!

This is 2021. Good gameplay expected, good graphics assumed.

The popularity of Minecraft just means we are plagued by a lot of stupid people in this world with low expectations. Idiocracy is here.
I disagree completely there are games where great graphics matter more like in 3rd Person action adventure game and there are games like this where gameplay matter way more than graphics plus the graphics looks fine your comparing grapes to apple. There is no Idiocracy here your comparing way different game if you care bout graphics this is not the game for you. Another example as to why Graphics do not make up for bad gameply and lackluster game design is game like Ryse Son of Rome and The Order 1886. Both of those games look amazing but the gameplay is bland boring thus both those game are a footnote in history only remember as graphics showcase wile being horrible gameplay wise wile Games like Minecraft which looks horrible is great and is a timeless classic thanks too it gameplay. So there you have it i hope i have break it down for you so that you will understand Graphics are not everything and also graphics in a game like AOE is different from a game like say Horizon Zero Dawn. So don't bring the graphics discussion into every game the types of games matter too and the art style.

Last edited:
"Uninspired crap" doesn't get multiple sequels and/or remakes. They're both unique enough to stand on their own, especially at the time they came to exist. In the end, they're both pretty niche and not for everyone.

But that could be said about a lot of other games.
The originals look way way better

Top Bottom