• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV Showcase

McCheese

Hmm, I thought it looked okay but then they showed the AoE III stuff it was hard to tell the difference, the turning animations haven't changed since they were using sprites; i wonder if that's for gameplay reasons or something.

TheAssist

The thing I hate most of AoE4 is that it isnt Company of heroes 3.

Than again, graphically it looks worse than AoE3. Didnt do them any favors showing it on the same stream.

I know graphics dont really make an RTS game but maaaaan, I really want some high end looking WW2 RTS game. Imagine the deep mud, artillery, explosions, tanks vs tank fights, smoke and weather effects...
Unfortunately RTS (not DOTA clones) dont seem to be mainstream enough to get that kind of budget. Than again if you never try you never know.

RedVIper

Banned
I think it looks good, i am used to the total war models looking extremely dodgy when you zoom into the unit level and typically that isn't the default view so not that bothered. as long as the performance is reasonable when the battle scales, i wonder what the min spec's look like; would like the option to run it on a thin laptop (think it's still will be beyond my surface laptop 3)

Total war games are simulating thousands of units, the expectations shouldn't be the same as a AOE game where you have like a hundred units fighting it out.

Not to mention total war games do have some excellent animations for their special units.

This preview told me nothing about the game, it showed off some very mediocre graphics and their super DiverseTM team.

Let's hope the game itself is any good, it would be sad if we got a big RTS since god knows when and it turned out to be shit.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I think it looks good, i am used to the total war models looking extremely dodgy when you zoom into the unit level and typically that isn't the default view so not that bothered. as long as the performance is reasonable when the battle scales, i wonder what the min spec's look like; would like the option to run it on a thin laptop (think it's still will be beyond my surface laptop 3)
I don't know what Total War games you mean, but all the latest releases look a LOT better than this, no matter how you look at it.

aoe4_eng_008.jpg

aoe4_del_001.jpg

On a general technical level, and being generous in regards of the art style they chose, this looks about on par with Rome 2. Which was released 8 years ago.

If you zoom in and start checking individual models, even Rome 2 looks MUCH, MUCH better.

campagna2.jpg

totalwarrome2-5.jpg

Compared to TW Warhammer or Three Kingdoms, it's not even remotely a contest.

9j1aavpi4yw2.jpg

A0F4E244B879DA31828D54BA98499016A0E34CDB

AoE4 probably doesn't need this level of visual detail at all, since you are not meant to zoom all the way in.

What bothers me the most is the disconnect between the semi-realistic environments and the pastel people. The unit colors are too flat, saturated and unshaded, they don't fit in the scene at all. Animations are also very basic, and there is clearly no real physics/momentum (when they turn, soldiers "snap" from looking one way to looking the other, same for being stationary -> moving and the other way around).

HE1NZ

Banned
Stop comparing AoE to Total War visually. You're only playing AoE from the top down view and there's ton of stuff going on at the same time. Total War features empty terrain with large armies and these battles are largely optional anyway. They can afford more detail.

NahaNago

The gameplay graphics kind of dehyped me for the game. Sure the animations for building construction is better and characters looked more detailed but at times but I was just expecting a lot more in 2021. I wouln't even say I'm graphics whore. I play age of empires 3 but not the hd edition since I hate the ( I think it's called) ui in the new version. So junky that it killed my interest in further playing and went straight back to the older version. I may just need to some someone actually playing it before deciding.

I play a ton of AOE2 online and this looks more like Aoe3.

Of course I will play it but it just doesn’t like they are creating a replacement for AOE2 online.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Why are we comparing Alpha version of this game with the final version of another game? 🤔
Stop comparing AoE to Total War visually. You're only playing AoE from the top down view and there's ton of stuff going on at the same time. Total War features empty terrain with large armies and these battles are largely optional anyway. They can afford more detail.

Criticism is good when justified.
It is not by saying nothing that things can change. I prefer to say it loud and clear and see it corrected: the models of the units need to be reworked.
I mean no matter which way you put it, compared to another game or not... There is a big shift between how models are rendered next to the terrain/buildings/vegetation.
Also their is a new camera system that allow more zoom and control.

Finally, Alpha and beta are made for this: look at what can be improved before the release and I truly believe it's just a matter of tweaks.
And don't misunderstand me, I'm really excited for this game (I even created the OT since a loooong time already ^^) but yeah, this need to be fixed.

supernova8

Banned
I don't know what Total War games you mean, but all the latest releases look a LOT better than this, no matter how you look at it.

aoe4_eng_008.jpg

aoe4_del_001.jpg

On a general technical level, and being generous in regards of the art style they chose, this looks about on par with Rome 2. Which was released 8 years ago.

If you zoom in and start checking individual models, even Rome 2 looks MUCH, MUCH better.

campagna2.jpg

totalwarrome2-5.jpg

Compared to TW Warhammer or Three Kingdoms, it's not even remotely a contest.

9j1aavpi4yw2.jpg

A0F4E244B879DA31828D54BA98499016A0E34CDB

AoE4 probably doesn't need this level of visual detail at all, since you are not meant to zoom all the way in.

What bothers me the most is the disconnect between the semi-realistic environments and the pastel people. The unit colors are too flat, saturated and unshaded, they don't fit in the scene at all. Animations are also very basic, and there is clearly no real physics/momentum (when they turn, soldiers "snap" from looking one way to looking the other, same for being stationary -> moving and the other way around).
also the scale is all wrong. If you look at the size of the people compared to the buildings you'd think they're all 7 feet tall

Kenpachii

Looks rough needs a overhaul. buildings are way to small, ground textures are blurry as hell, wonky animations everywhere, nothing seems to fit well.

Disappointing.

Last edited:

reksveks

Someone that got my point.

Also I love TW games but I have different expectations in terms of how I am zooming in with my camera or not. I find that TW is generally a slower game so I am more likely to zoom in to see my general whereas I am not in AoE games.

I wasn't comparing the animation and model quality as I know that total war is on a different level in comparison to AoE.

Also are we really criticising the height of the buildings in comparison to the units?

reksveks

This was my point. Not that the models was as good as the ones created from creative assembly. I think there is a slight shading issue on the units but it's not too bad or jarring enough.

pasterpl

It is age of empires, what we have seen is exactly that - age of empires, they obviously didn’t want to reinvent it and kept it true to their legacy. I am actually hyped for this. Even more after seeing the trailer. My pc is ready.

RedVIper

Banned
It is age of empires, what we have seen is exactly that - age of empires, they obviously didn’t want to reinvent it and kept it true to their legacy. I am actually hyped for this. Even more after seeing the trailer. My pc is ready.

AOE 2 came out in 99, AOE 3 (Which is usually regarded as worse) in 05.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want the series to improve after two decades.

Why shouldn't I want extremely detailed character models? Buildings?

I shouldn't I want better animations?

"It's just as good as the last one" is a bad thing imo

Alright

Banned
Honestly I think it would cause more issues for general consumers if the only good way to play the game on Xbox was to use a M+K so I think they would still need to figure out a way to support the controller.
C&C Red Alert released on PSX and that controller didn't even have analogue sticks. Halo Wars 1 had a very competent and usable control scheme.

Console RTS' just need a time slider, where the default is 0.5x speed when playing on console, with the option to speed up on the fly for when you've done your building/resource management. This would compensate for the 'slower' moving cursor on controller vs M+KB. Avon Colony was great with the 1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x, speed increases.

.Pennywise

Banned
I think the units being too stylized can be changed easily. Other stuff like people complaining of everything, like graphics of the enviroment and buildings (WTF they're really good), or the units to buildings relation, know jack shit about RTS games.

Name me a single one RTS game where units to buildings scale is 1:1 and the game having great world wide success. I'll wait here.... forever maybe, because there's none! And btw, the Total War saga is not RTS, get your shit together.

Poor Relic, they have to be juggling between people talking out of their asses, the people that want gameplay over graphics, the people that want graphics over gameplay, the people that want new innovative and totally different gameplay, the people that want the saga to not change that much, etc etc etc.

Impossible to cater to all people. But to the only ones they shouldn't put a single ounce of attention are the people that pull things out of their asses (like scale) and talk like they knew jack shit about RTS. People that even don't know what an RTS is and start comparing RTS to TTS, TBS, etc.

I hope the best for the game.

Last edited:
C&C Red Alert released on PSX and that controller didn't even have analogue sticks. Halo Wars 1 had a very competent and usable control scheme.

Console RTS' just need a time slider, where the default is 0.5x speed when playing on console, with the option to speed up on the fly for when you've done your building/resource management. This would compensate for the 'slower' moving cursor on controller vs M+KB. Avon Colony was great with the 1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x, speed increases.

Command&Conquer was released on consoles back then, Warcraft as well because they gave 0 fucks if it works or not. Its hilarious watching a console session on youtube where the player just strugles to frame a single peon by moving the entire fucking screenspace to center it on what he wants to select. That type of dumpster fire would never make 10 minutes through QA today. Youre watching those 90s console ports of PC strategy games and you're almost waiting for ashton kutcher to jump out of the closset and say you're punked.

The reeera poeople also keep babling on about them releasing console ports for this, with less than zero understanding of how an RTS works. Oh, its easy, you just do this and that, so easy. Oh, its just gatekeeping. Reeeera guys and also some from here, you only believe you get how an RTS works. You dont. RTS games dont work in a way that makes sense on a controller. Period. If you want to play an RTS, do it on PC. If not, never play them. That simple.

Alright

Banned
Command&Conquer was released on consoles back then, Warcraft as well because they gave 0 fucks if it works or not. Its hilarious watching a console session on youtube where the player just strugles to frame a single peon by moving the entire fucking screenspace to center it on what he wants to select. That type of dumpster fire would never make 10 minutes through QA today. Youre watching those 90s console ports of PC strategy games and you're almost waiting for ashton kutcher to jump out of the closset and say you're punked.

The reeera poeople also keep babling on about them releasing console ports for this, with less than zero understanding of how an RTS works. Oh, its easy, you just do this and that, so easy. Oh, its just gatekeeping. Reeeera guys and also some from here, you only believe you get how an RTS works. You dont. RTS games dont work in a way that makes sense on a controller. Period. If you want to play an RTS, do it on PC. If not, never play them. That simple.
C and C worked fine on console, did it have limitations? Sure but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun to play with. I played RTS games on PC and know the advantages of M+KB but to outright say RTS shouldn't be on console is plain stupid.

BFME2 on xbox 360 worked very well, as did Halo Wars and Red Alert 3. Why not release it on consoles, on GP and let the players decide how they want to play?

Last edited:
C and C worked fine on console, did it have limitations? Sure but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun to play with. I played RTS games on PC and know the advantages of M+KB but to outright say RTS shouldn't be on console is plain stupid.

BFME2 on xbox 360 worked very well, as did Halo Wars and Red Alert 3. Why not release it on consoles, on GP and let the players decide how they want to play?

They didnt work and werent fun. They were ridiculous. It boggles the mind that grown men thought those sorry excuses of games made any sense to exist and be released on consoles. I dont even know why this is a discussion. Did RTS games traditionally came out on consoles ? Does it make any sense to ask for it now ? Do you think there would be more than 5 people playing it there ? XCom back in 2012 failed so hard on consoles that they released the sequel on pc only for a fucking year. Age of Empires 4 will not come out on consoles. EVER. As it should be. Whats going on here ?

Last edited:

fatmarco

I'm genuinely surprised at how poor this looks graphically. Unless it's maybe being built with porting to low end devices, phones, Xbox One etc. in mind?

In any event it comes across as rather cheap looking with it's near textureless art style. Especially if you compare it to both 2 and 3 with their HD re-releases/remasters.

Alright

Banned
They didnt work and werent fun. They were ridiculous. It boggles the mind that grown men thought those sorry excuses of games made any sense to exist and be released on consoles. I dont even know why this is a discussion. Did RTS games traditionally came out on consoles ? Does it make any sense to ask for it now ? Do you think there would be more than 5 people playing it there ? XCom back in 2012 failed so hard on consoles that they released the sequel on pc only for a fucking year. Age of Empires 4 will not come out on consoles. EVER. As it should be. Whats going on here ?
I thought they were ridiculous fun. I wasn't a grown man at the time, i was a kid/teen/adolescent who enjoyed RA on PSX, BFME2 on Xbox 360 and Halo wars on whatever console that came out on (360?).

In a world where people want to play fortnite on a smartphone, it's not out of the realm of possibility that people want to play RTS games on console 🤷‍♂️

As for what's going on, PC gaming sucks and has done for a long time. Apart from the odd games, like AoE4, most PC games are ports of console games and a billion indie sprite-shites. Long gone are the days of being up to your eyeballs in decent RTS and RPG's.

I thought they were ridiculous fun. I wasn't a grown man at the time, i was a kid/teen/adolescent who enjoyed RA on PSX, BFME2 on Xbox 360 and Halo wars on whatever console that came out on (360?).

In a world where people want to play fortnite on a smartphone, it's not out of the realm of possibility that people want to play RTS games on console 🤷‍♂️

As for what's going on, PC gaming sucks and has done for a long time. Apart from the odd games, like AoE4, most PC games are ports of console games and a billion indie sprite-shites. Long gone are the days of being up to your eyeballs in decent RTS and RPG's.

You enjoyed them because you didnt know any better. Since you now do, theres no need to want this game to ever come on consoles. No, its console gaming that was always complete and utter shit. Thats why we're having this conversation, in the hopes they dont fuck up the game by neutering it per the norm for a console game

Alright

Banned
You enjoyed them because you didnt know any better. Since you now do, theres no need to want this game to ever come on consoles. No, its console gaming that was always complete and utter shit. Thats why we're having this conversation, in the hopes they dont fuck up the game by neutering it per the norm for a console game
Thanks for telling me what I enjoyed. I put a lot of hours in to C&C RA2, Yuri's revenge and Generals. Tiberium wars was aight. I played all of them and still enjoyed Halo Wars and BFME2 for what it was.

Neuter it per the norm for a console game? What year is this, 2006? The last few nights I've booted steam up, I've been met with indie game sales, Xbox game sales and a plethora of other console games. I don't agree with it, but hey, those are the times we live in. PC is now a console box and console gaming is mobile gaming on the big screen. We've all been fucked over 🤷‍♂️

Dane

You are nuts, Relic makes 343 look like kids. Sure Company 2 was similar but it was still great. DOW 2 was a blunder but their record is legendary. There was still shades of Relic in their prime in DOW 3, they just tried to reinvent the wheel and it failed, but I get the sense they have learned from the last decade, and if this has the physics and feel of their previous RTS's, geez, it's gonna be the best RTS since Starcraft II.

And Relic has been blundering since CoH 2, what's that? like seven years or so, Age IV for example runs on Age III DE engine, now sure enough, that doesn't mean shit, but the assets quality are really that remaster tier which is very low poly for today. The original Age III had an impressive tech back in 2005.

While obviously I hope gameplay to be good, the presentation falls flat that it makes you worried about what may be in, just like Halo Infinite has a troubled developement, its fanbase hate the developer and wasn't even shocked at this point, even Brad Sams spilled up about what's going on, the focus on E-sports is the red flag of a developer that doesn't give a shit about its franchise community but attract people who aren't interested and throw the fans under the bus.

Top Bottom