• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV Showcase

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You're not wrong, but maybe MS will finally embrace Mouse and Keyboard fully on games like this. They could even bundle the game with a cheapo mouse. A fella can dream.
Xbox has talked about how their console has full m&k support and it's up to developer to implement it. Well it's their studio developing their IP... it better have full m&k support or they are going to look silly.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
LET'S GOOOOOOOO

GIF by NBA

tr1p1ex

god i need the cliff notes version. I can't watch this. lol. way overproduced.

now they are talking about Aoe2. I'm confused.

Last edited:

SinDelta

...I am getting the same sinking feeling I got when Stronghold moved to Stronghold 2.

Should have been amazing in theory, but was not. AoE 4 combat looks way to fast and for lack of a better word, "floaty." The lack of detail in the character models and buildings compared to 2 is concerning.

I'll happily eat crow if the game does turn out amazing. This is one game series I am willing to give that chance.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

meh we all knew graphics were going to be better.

I'm more interested in how the game plays and what is new and improved in the gameplay and in the online experience.

I loved playing 4v4 rts back in the day but games took too long and anytime someone dropped or quit, the match was ruined.

Also anyone that plays rts against others knows you aren't going to spend time marveling at the graphics most of the time and aren't going to be playing the game from many of the perspectives shown.

Last edited:

ShaikhCroft

Can somebody explain to me the "14" thing? I've seen it spammed a lot in relation to the game, but I don't understand why :messenger_grinning_sweat:
It's Age of Empires chat taunt code. There's 1 to 105 for different taunts. 14 stands for "Start the game already!" We used to use it before every multiplayer match begins! :D

Skifi28

If it came out 10 years ago, it'd look pretty mediocre. Not everything is about visuals, but this is freaking AoE not some low budget indie game. Even forgetting that. where's the ambition? Animation, combat, number of units, it's more like a reskin of previous games.

It looks like a souped up mobile game.

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
The art-style of the enviroment and buildings it's top notch. Not too realitic, nor too stylized. When you look at the units everything goes to shit and the game suddently becomes a mobile awful thingy.

Dane

Relic is the 343i of RTS, DoW 2 was their last hit. I was already skepitical because they had successive blunders with Company of Heroes 2 and Dawn of War 3.

Last edited:
Is it coming to Xbox or no?
of course not. If the average gamer would have the slightest clue about gamedesign, he would know by looking 2 seconds at random footage thats its imposible to be played on a controller. But since the average gamer knows fuck all about gamedesign, he will keep asking this nonsense question. No, it will never, ever, ever come to any console. I hope i have alleviated your worries

Bkdk

Microsoft doesn’t even want the graphics to be too demanding because they themselves have to get high end graphics card for crypto mining.

Bergoglio

of course not. If the average gamer would have the slightest clue about gamedesign, he would know by looking 2 seconds at random footage thats its imposible to be played on a controller. But since the average gamer knows fuck all about gamedesign, he will keep asking this nonsense question. No, it will never, ever, ever come to any console. I hope i have alleviated your worries
Bro, there's M/K support on xbox.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't play RTS games like this.

Are there any that actually look really good with realistic graphics? Or are they always bright and cartoony?

For example, are there any games that try to have some gritty colours like LoTR fights, or in Two Towers when orcs are trying to storm the castle at night?

Bro, there's M/K support on xbox.
But who is gonna release a console game that requires to buy a keyboard and mouse to play ? Theres no market there for strategy games. Literally every semblance of a strategy game released on console ever has failed. This is the most PC genre out of all of them. The entirety of the audience and market is there

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Yeah, honestly not looking too hot as of now. The overall presentation is janky, the game looks a bit unoptimized and unrefined. But hey, most of this stuff is usually improved towards the end of development, so for now it doesn't bother me too much.

On the other hand, it beats me why they would focus so much on this or that faction or campaign before they even explained what is there in terms of, you know, the actual game. There were glimpses of information you could extract from the videos, like units being able to stand on walls and what seemed some special phalanx formation for lancers. But as a showcase this was very poorly put together. If you didn't already know what AoE is, you would have gathered almost nothing from this; and if you did, you would be interested in the ways the game has changed, not a couple of names in a checkbox of stuff you can't give any weight to. They presented it as if it were DLC for a game that is already released, which makes no sense.

EDIT: It looks like I missed a video, and they apparently did show a bit more of the gameplay. Still, I feel the fact I had to leave the PC after the first 20 minutes of the livestream and went away with absolutely zero info about the gameplay still says something about their priorities.

It's Age of Empires chat taunt code. There's 1 to 105 for different taunts. 14 stands for "Start the game already!" We used to use it before every multiplayer match begins! :D
Cheers. I never really played multiplayer, so that explains it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Relic is the 343i of RTS, DoW 2 was their last hit. I was already skepitical because they had successive blunders with Company of Heroes 2 and Dawn of War 3.
You are nuts, Relic makes 343 look like kids. Sure Company 2 was similar but it was still great. DOW 2 was a blunder but their record is legendary. There was still shades of Relic in their prime in DOW 3, they just tried to reinvent the wheel and it failed, but I get the sense they have learned from the last decade, and if this has the physics and feel of their previous RTS's, geez, it's gonna be the best RTS since Starcraft II.

Bragr

Banned
I don't play RTS games like this.

Are there any that actually look really good with realistic graphics? Or are they always bright and cartoony?

For example, are there any games that try to have some gritty colours like LoTR fights, or in Two Towers when orcs are trying to storm the castle at night?

Company of Heroes, from the same guys, one of the all-time great PC games of the last 2 decades.

company-of-heroes-800x600-3.jpg

Last edited:

Estocolmo

Question was if it’s coming to Xbox or not. That has nothing to do with how it’s controlled, because Xbox has full K+M features...
What I’m saying is that they could release the game only playable with K+M on Xbox.

tr1p1ex

I would have just released a 2 minute trailer instead.

Event pissed me off lol. I thought I got lucky and accidentally stumbled upon this event right when it went live. But quickly realized I was unlucky because the event was 20 minutes of torture. And when they finally did show footage of the game it was just basically aoe with a paint job often from perspectives that you won't be at when playing the game. Nothing that got me excited. Frame rate even seemed a bit janky.

I would have rather heard about a new feature or two and had the person, who is very passionate about rts games, explain said new features and explain what they are doing to make the online and rest of experience better than ever.

And if it's too soon for that...well leads back to " I would have just released a 2 minute trailer instead."

instead I learned the employees are all heroes. and we should buy just because of that ....because who doesn't want to support heroes being heroes.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think it looks good, i am used to the total war models looking extremely dodgy when you zoom into the unit level and typically that isn't the default view so not that bothered. as long as the performance is reasonable when the battle scales, i wonder what the min spec's look like; would like the option to run it on a thin laptop (think it's still will be beyond my surface laptop 3)

Top Bottom