• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Age of Empires IV - Reviews Are Out

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
I love them elephants in multiplayer

Played a bit of campaign quited it soon after, gameplay is annoying as hell with the ai and immortal enemy's + long training times couldn't stand it after a few missions anymore. the video's are nice however.

Also what does the experience do in this game

ne1butu

Jun 26, 2020
Really enjoying the game so far. Played some campaign and 1 online game of 2v2. Much better than I expected. They put a lot of effort into the videos for the campaigns, love how much you can learn from aoe games

Reactions: kanjobazooie

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
How's everyone finding the campaign difficulty? Hard mode is actually kind of hard, which I find refreshing. One mission I had to restart a couple of times before I could win it.

No one signed up to do an OT for this game?

Jun 23, 2020
Tried out a 1v1v1v1 skirmish on easy to get off the rust. It was very very easy, but still enjoyable and will for sure go back to try with normal difficulty.

Reactions: Rentahamster

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
How's everyone finding the campaign difficulty? Hard mode is actually kind of hard, which I find refreshing. One mission I had to restart a couple of times before I could win it.

Problem i have with campaign also reason i quited it, was that on hard mode the enemy units are beyond tanky to the point it takes forever to get a fight ending, on top of it, 200 unit cap really cripples the progression. Fighting with 150 units and if they get crushed, u gotta wait for like what? 20-30 minutes just to rebuild your army.

Its a slog.

Also i tanked hard on that mission where u gotta get that guy out of his castle, just to stomp you with 3x the size of your army. It's just not well designed in my view.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Problem i have with campaign also reason i quited it, was that on hard mode the enemy units are beyond tanky to the point it takes forever to get a fight ending, on top of it, 200 unit cap really cripples the progression. Fighting with 150 units and if they get crushed, u gotta wait for like what? 20-30 minutes just to rebuild your army.

Its a slog.
I think on hard, the AI actually bothers to use unit upgrades, which makes their armor better, so it's important to upgrade your damage at the blacksmith and arsenal quickly. I also find mangonels to be very useful against the AI since the AI has a lot of units, therefore area of effect damage is that much more effective.

Also i tanked hard on that mission where u gotta get that guy out of his castle, just to stomp you with 3x the size of your army. It's just not well designed in my view.
That one was pretty tricky. I had to restart that one once. I won by only ever reinforcing with archers. I had eighty of them by the end lol. Use your hero unit to bait the enemy into running into an arrow volley, since your hero unit has regenerating HP. On hard mode missions like those, it's imperative to keep as many units alive as possible.

Reactions: Kenpachii

ebevan91

May 24, 2013

Got my ass kicked one one of the Norman campaign missions on intermediate. Ended up just loading an earlier save and trying a different strategy and it worked pretty well.

• Strength

hussar16

Nov 4, 2019
its a 7/10 awful camera angle that wount let u zoom out even age of empirese let you see more. i deleted the game after 2 hours becuase ofnot being able to zoom out and see my whole castle

Reactions: TVexperto and Tams

STARSBarry

Gold Member
May 19, 2019
The campaign is great, what really struck me is how much I learned along the way, and it never felt forced but generally interesting, it should be used in schools.

However skirmish and multiplayer struggles, largely down to the whole AoE2: DE existing and us being spoilt by faction choice. However I will say its much better than AoE3 which it shares in terms of having a 3D engine rather than 2D. As its included as part of games pass I would not recommend buying it unless you really enjoy the multiplayer as it would take 4 months of subscription to hit it'd retail asking price.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Chukhopops and Tams

Tams

The campaign is great, what really struck me is how much I learned along the way, and it never felt forced but generally interesting, it should be used in schools.

However skirmish and multiplayer struggles, largely down to the whole AoE2: DE existing and us being spoilt by faction choice. However I will say its much better than AoE3 which it shares in terms of having a 3D engine rather than 2D. As its included as part of games pass I would not recommend buying it unless you really enjoy the multiplayer as it would take 4 months of subscription to hit it'd retail asking price.

Just like AoE II did introduce me to some history, it absolutely should not be used in schools. It's got just as many inaccuracies and opinions/stances.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: V4skunk
Mar 23, 2013
Anyone know if an Intel X58 Xeon X5675 would be able to run this? I'm looking at the system requirements and it says AVX support is required. Looking online, it looks like my CPU doesn't support that?

BlackTron

Jun 30, 2016
For some reason I'm having a really hard time giving a crap about this game...I have this feeling everyone will just go back to AOE2 and I may as well save myself some time and distraction and skip it.

Reactions: tr1p1ex

winterymint

Oct 25, 2016
For some reason I'm having a really hard time giving a crap about this game...I have this feeling everyone will just go back to AOE2 and I may as well save myself some time and distraction and skip it.
Every new game will feel that way. I love it, its very polished but with plenty of room for improvements for online. eg watching pro players in real time

tr1p1ex

Feb 18, 2014
Yeah it's been there, done that with rts games for me.

The developer would have to care about the non-sexy aspects of rts for me to get back in. Like how to make playing 4v4 matches fun again. How to overcome the 1 player drops ruining the experience problem. How to keep matches from going 2-3 hours and still be fun.

RTS's golden age was pre-3d graphics. When 3d graphics hit, it was the beginning of the end for rts.

They would have to do more than better graphics to get me on board. I don't really care about the graphics. Get off my lawn.

Reactions: BlackTron

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
Well the tutorial is broke. Lol. It gets to a point where it keeps asking the player to left click the icon for their spearmen, then the ground near the enemy, and keeps looping and spawning the same enemy over and over and won't move on. So that's not a good sign. Already glad this was on Game Pass so I didn't have to pay for it. When even the fucking tutorial is cocked that's not a good sign.

Very high presentation value for the campaign out of the gate though. Entertaining and informative.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
Didn’t have that glitch. I just have the glitch where I don’t know how online players produce so many units so quickly and trounce me.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
Didn’t have that glitch. I just have the glitch where I don’t know how online players produce so many units so quickly and trounce me.

Leveraging civ bonuses maybe? I haven't played online yet, but the English can stockpile some resources very quickly and crank out spearmen early. I did to quickly overrun an AI in my second round of testing the English out.

Edit: I'll tell you what, even on easy the AI is able to produce far, FAAAAAR more units than they have resources and means too. I hope there's ways to adjust this through mods or something later because it's absolutely retard-level, amatuer hour design as is. To test it I destroyed every thing but their town center and left some peasants alive. Within five minutes they were back to sending a steady stream of siege weapons and entire armies. Just like that.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Feb 28, 2018
Leveraging civ bonuses maybe? I haven't played online yet, but the English can stockpile some resources very quickly and crank out spearmen early. I did to quickly overrun an AI in my second round of testing the English out.

Edit: I'll tell you what, even on easy the AI is able to produce far, FAAAAAR more units than they have resources and means too. I hope there's ways to adjust this through mods or something later because it's absolutely retard-level, amatuer hour design as is. To test it I destroyed every thing but their town center and left some peasants alive. Within five minutes they were back to sending a steady stream of siege weapons and entire armies. Just like that.
You playing skirmish mode or campaign levels? In the campaign levels, the enemies just spawn in groups around the map. They don't have to produce them.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
You playing skirmish mode or campaign levels? In the campaign levels, the enemies just spawn in groups around the map. They don't have to produce them.

This was skirmish I was doing.

Just finished a coop match, that was fun. My partner focused on Calvary while I focused on rapid creation of English archers and spearmen. We didn't plan it, just happened that we complimented each other. Fucked the other team up bad. I took the front line, he kept hitting their flanks. It was glorious.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2018
I must say I really enjoy the documentary style campaign with its extra videos about various topic-related stuff (medieval surgery, how were arrows crafted, etc.).

While I'd be more invested in a story if it was told from the perspective of actual characters (in that sense, AoE1/2 was more immersive), I can't help but approve of games that provide some actual educational value without becoming some cringe edutainment software.

Last edited:
Reactions: BadBurger

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
I must say I really enjoy the documentary style campaign with its extra videos about various topic-related stuff (medieval surgery, how were arrows crafted, etc.).

While I'd be more invested in a story if it was told from the perspective of actual characters (in that sense, AoE1/2 was more immersive), I can't help but approve of games that provide some actual educational value without becoming some cringe edutainment software.

Reminded me of a slick Nat Geo or old school Discovery Channel doc. Also made me want to visit York and the surrounding areas.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast

Campaign or skirmish? Campaign AI is scripted so depending on the map sometimes they just have reinforcements just appear from off map. Custom skirmish mode is fair though, as far as I can tell.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
Campaign or skirmish? Campaign AI is scripted so depending on the map sometimes they just have reinforcements just appear from off map. Custom skirmish mode is fair though, as far as I can tell.

As I replied earlier, skirmish. I made sure to destroy everything but their town center and one peasant, had the entire map covered, then retreated to see what would happen.

I just did another test against an AI using a civ with no housing bonuses, to see if their unit count is truly limited. Set myself up for defense and went about my day. When I came back and moved into their territory (about an hour later) on one screen alone I counted over 250 units before I gave up. They're supposed to be capped at 200. So they're not even abiding by that.

Uninstalled for now. Will wait for updates or mods to fix things. The presentation value is better than 2, and some QoL elements are nice, but this game ain't worth a dime IMO.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
As I replied earlier, skirmish. I made sure to destroy everything but their town center and one peasant, had the entire map covered, then retreated to see what would happen.

I just did another test against an AI using a civ with no housing bonuses, to see if their unit count is truly limited. Set myself up for defense and went about my day. When I came back and moved into their territory (about an hour later) on one screen alone I counted over 250 units before I gave up. They're supposed to be capped at 200. So they're not even abiding by that.

Uninstalled for now. Will wait for updates or mods to fix things. The presentation value is better than 2, and some QoL elements are nice, but this game ain't worth a dime IMO.
Oh weird. Have you tried playing on Intermediate? I did a quick test on Easy and it seemed like the AI was rushing a lot more than it should be for an "easy" AI. Perhaps it's tuned wrong.

Reactions: BadBurger

BigBooper

Feb 28, 2018
I hate that kind of thing. If the only way AI can win is to cheat, they need to go back to the drawing bored or at least make the rules clear when you select your difficulty.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
Oh weird. Have you tried playing on Intermediate? I did a quick test on Easy and it seemed like the AI was rushing a lot more than it should be for an "easy" AI. Perhaps it's tuned wrong.

More than likely I was hit with a bug. I may be being harsh but man it was frustrating. I attacked their center of town, and units poured out of every building so quickly my game actually froze up for about 20 seconds while trying to process them all.

I'll revisit this game after some patches.

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
It's great if you're a fan of history.
Tired Sick Of It GIF by U by Kotex Brand

• Fire