• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV - Official Gameplay Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Age of Empires IV is available October 28, 2021. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass for PC.

One of the most beloved real-time strategy games returns to glory with Age of Empires IV on Xbox Game Pass for PC, Windows Store, and Steam, putting you at the center of epic historical battles that shaped the world. Featuring both familiar and innovative new ways to expand your empire in vast landscapes with stunning 4K visual fidelity, Age of Empires IV brings an evolved real-time strategy game to a new generation.

Choose your path to greatness with 8 diverse civilizations, 4 distinct campaigns with 35 missions that include legendary historical figures, user generated content tools for custom games, 8 player multiplayer modes, and a tutorial system and story mode designed for first time players to help achieve easy setup and success.

If history was in your hands, what would you do? Make history your story.

Kilau

Gold Member
Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Can't wait.

Kadve

Still get the impression that the game is just trying to be a more modern version of Age of Kings and not the fourth mainline game of the series.

There is such as thing as being blinded by nostalgia after all.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Looks amazing. Looking forward to it. Hope they have been able to capture the AOE magic. The remasters all run like crap, hope this being a new game runs smoothly.

Kenpachii

Art looks like shit, animations look like shit, textures look like shit, buildings look like shit.

Almost looks like no budget was poored into this game. And how long are they busy developing the game now?

A shame.

Will still buy it because i am a RTS nerd.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Play Age of Empires IV day one with Xbox Game Pass for PC on October 28, 2021.

Reclaim France and lead Joan of Arc in The Hundred Years War Campaign.

One of the most beloved real-time strategy games returns to glory with Age of Empires IV on Xbox Game Pass for PC, Windows Store, and Steam, putting you at the center of epic historical battles that shaped the world. Featuring both familiar and innovative new ways to expand your empire in vast landscapes with stunning 4K visual fidelity, Age of Empires IV brings an evolved real-time strategy game to a new generation.

fatmarco

It genuinely looks bad graphically. You'd think the bare minimum would be to beat Age of Empires 3's graphical fidelity from 16 years ago.

I mean there have been sequels in the past which did feature worse graphics than the previous entry but that was often due to either a gameplay change (increased play area, genre shift etc.), or from a rushed development.

This is after 16 years of technological innovation, you'd almost have to go out of your way to create something that looks like this with what graphical techniques and features that are readily and freely available to add to your game.

I guess you can argue its an art style, but then it becomes an argument over the fact that this isn't the style of Age of Empires. So either it's failed realism or an artistic tonal shift towards a mobile gaming aesthetic without it being a mobile game.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don’t get this sentiment. I think it looks great, far beyond AOE3! After seeing the new trailer, it could use better textures, but that’s about it!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It genuinely looks bad graphically. You'd think the bare minimum would be to beat Age of Empires 3's graphical fidelity from 16 years ago.

I mean there have been sequels in the past which did feature worse graphics than the previous entry but that was often due to either a gameplay change (increased play area, genre shift etc.), or from a rushed development.

This is after 16 years of technological innovation, you'd almost have to go out of your way to create something that looks like this with what graphical techniques and features that are readily and freely available to add to your game.

I guess you can argue its an art style, but then it becomes an argument over the fact that this isn't the style of Age of Empires. So either it's failed realism or an artistic tonal shift towards a mobile gaming aesthetic without it being a mobile game.

Looks objectively better in fidelity than AoE3. Now, art direction? I can see where you are coming from - but it is important to remember how miserable it was trying to see what was going on with all the small details that cluttered up the design. There is a reason why AoE2 is still the favorite and AoE3 didn't reach the same level of long-term success.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The trebuchet was used to crumble the enemy’s defense.
How will you use these weapons of war to shape the course of history?

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The pages of history are filled with defining moments. What will yours be?

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Get a first-time look at Age of Empires IV gameplay as we show an exclusive 1v1 multiplayer match, featuring the Rus and Holy Roman Empire civilizations and hosted by Zak Robinson (ZeroEmpires) and Eric Wrobel of Relic Entertainment.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Age of Empires 4 reviewed by Leana Hafer on PC.

Age of Empires 4 plays it safe a bit too often, but really excels when it wanders outside of its very traditional comfort zone. The expansive campaigns and offbeat factions like the Mongols and the Rus are major highlights, even when it loses some of its sharpness to a small unit cap, frustrating pathfinding, and relatively unimpressive graphics for a 2021 game. I've been enjoying it a lot as a whole, but it also sometimes makes me question how much room I have in my life for this age-old formula these days, when real-time strategy has come such a long way thanks to the innovations of other franchises.

Last edited:

reksveks

In case people want an easy way to link out to reviews

Top Bottom