• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires III Definitive Edition I Gamescom trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Return to adventure in Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition on October 15, 2020
Celebrate one of the most beloved real-time strategy franchises with stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics, a fully remastered soundtrack, two new game modes, including all expansions and all 14 civilizations, plus two brand new civilizations – the Swedes and Inca.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I can only imagine Age of Empires on a pad being pretty gosh darn shite.
51Q1C83SSBL.jpg

Yeah just like Diablo 3, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate and Civilisation 6... oh wait 😉

Three turn based game and one single character action game... have you ever played a RTS?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Oh come on though your going as far back as a Playstation 2 game. Pretty much every PC game has worked fine to great on console in recent years. It requires a bit more thought on the development side but I'm 100% sure it could be done well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Oh come on though your going as far back as a Playstation 2 game. Pretty much every PC game has worked fine to great on console in recent years. It requires a bit more thought on the development side but I'm 100% sure it could be done well.

Age of Empires 2 is the original game (from 1998? 1999?) with redone graphics and more content. It is the same game as the one that was on the PS2.

Unless explicitly designed for a pad (like Halo Wars or LOTR BFME) these games just do not work on a pad. I'm not trying to be an asshole, they just don't.Even those games are better on PC. Of course MS could put it on Xbox and make mouse and keyboard mandatory, which I would be fine with. They're great games, everyone should play them.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Age of Empires 2 is the original game (from 1998? 1999?) with redone graphics and more content. It is the same game as the one that was on the PS2.

Unless explicitly designed for a pad (like Halo Wars or LOTR BFME) these games just do not work on a pad. I'm not trying to be an asshole, they just don't.Even those games are better on PC. Of course MS could put it on Xbox and make mouse and keyboard mandatory, which I would be fine with. They're great games, everyone should play them.

That's exactly what everyone said about Diablo 3, Baldurs Gate, Civ, Stellaris etc. They all worked really well on console.

If they ever brought out a console version I'd honestly give it a fair chance. It's more dependant on the developer than the game now IMO.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Those are very different games though.

I honestly don't think any genre Is off limits now. The consoles are so like PC and vice versa. The only difference is literally a mouse and keyboard and I don't believe any developer worth his or her salt would let that get in the way of a modern day port.

Back in the day is was different because of the spec and architecture of the consoles. So little ram as well. Not a problem today.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's exactly what everyone said about Diablo 3, Baldurs Gate, Civ, Stellaris etc. They all worked really well on console.
Why do people keep saying this. They're not the same games. Just play the damn thing on a PC and get the experience it was meant to be. AOE2 DE runs on a 10 year old PC without issue.

Hostile_18

Banned
Why do people keep saying this. They're not the same games. Just play the damn thing on a PC and get the experience it was meant to be. AOE2 DE runs on a 10 year old PC without issue.

What were saying is that's what people also said about those genres I listed yet they worked on console in the end. Even if RTS's are trickier, maybe it will take a few attempts to perfect the controls when making those types of game but it would totally be worth doing.

Not everyone owns a PC and the more places any game is available the better. I'd personally buy a Age of Empires style console game in a heartbeat. I've had no experience in recent years to believe the difference in controls would lessen the experience substantially.

Last edited:

Kadve

Swedes and Inca: Aka, "two factions that was originally cut from the game and that we probably had a bunch of assets left of."

diffusionx

Gold Member
What were saying is that's what people also said about those genres I listed yet they worked on console in the end. Even if RTS's are trickier, maybe it will take a few attempts to perfect the controls when making those types of game but it would totally be worth doing.

Nobody said that about those games. Diablo 1 had a good port on the PS1. Civilization worked fine on the SNES (and the PS1). On the other hand Warcraft 2 sucks on the PS1. We know about this stuff. It's not about getting the auto aim feeling right, as it was with FPS (still better with a mouse after 20 years of devs working on it, but whatever). It's the very nature of the games.

The classic style of RTS game, of which AOE is definitely one of them, presents a lot of difficulties for a gamepad control scheme. One, it is real-time (unlike Civ or XCOM or any of these other strategy games). Two, you are not controlling anyone directly (as you can do with Diablo when you move to pad control). Three, you have to move around the screen constantly. Four, you have to micromanage armies. Five, what you do outside the base is just as important as what you do inside the base, which means you have to reposition the camera constantly.

Games like Halo Wars get around this by simplifying the base construction (which is a key part of the strategy in a game like SC or AOE) and having less units and less micro. Which is fine. Halo Wars is a good game. I'm not saying console gamers don't deserve to play these games, or they are too dumb or something. I'm not trying to be a PCMR dweeb here. I am just saying that you are losing a lot by trying to put a game like AOE, StarCraft, C&C, stuff like that, on a console. We saw it with Supreme Commander 1->2, which was on 360, so I don't think it is a matter of not enough tries.

So yes, just play the game on PC. Even if MS puts it out on Xbox with gamepad controls I would still recommend playing it with a mouse for the reasons I outlined.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

If they ever brought out a console version I'd honestly give it a fair chance. It's more dependant on the developer than the game now IMO.

There's a lot of micromanagement in a RTS that requires using hotkeys in a keyboard. There's no way to put all those commands on a controller.

You cant just drag a square around your army in AoE2 and command them to attack because they will move at the speed of the slowest unit, making cavalry useless.

SaucyJack

I loved AoE back in the day, but hasn't the genre moved on somewhat in the last 15 years? Can’t say I’m excited by this.

JTCx

Not everyone owns a PC and the more places any game is available the better. I'd personally buy a Age of Empires style console game in a heartbeat. I've had no experience in recent years to believe the difference in controls would lessen the experience substantially.
I would like to see someone pull a perfect dark age and do a succussful boar lure on a controller.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm just more optimistic it could be done, I'm not a game designer and I can think of loads of ideas to get around certain things.

Theres a lot of buttons on a controller these days (around 15). Just thinking out loud double click on a unit to select all units of that type on screen, shoulder buttons that cycle between unit types, drag and click, left analogue stick moves the camera quickly. Automated workers, Custom groups. Square on a character brings up a hotkey menu for things other than attack.

Honestly I don't see the problem at all but I'm not coming at it from an angle of ever second counts esports angle. Were not talking tournaments here, were talking about single player fun and multiplayer on a level playing field.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Single player, sure. You mention not on the level tournament/esports but in multiplayer thats what its going to be especially ranked.

I think most playing on a console will be a casual cloud but even if not everyone will be on a controller unless they ever did cross play.

mcz117chief

Dune 2000 and Warzone 2100 plays fine on PS1. Then there is Tom Clancy's End War which also plays just fine on PS3/Xbox360.

Sentenza

I can only imagine Age of Empires on a pad being pretty gosh darn shite.
Hey, there's users here playing the Baldur's Gate games on consoles and claiming is not that bad.
I swear some people would be happy shoving the controller up to their assholes and squeezing their buttlocks to press buttons if that meant they could stick to their beloved console no matter how much of a poor fit is for a genre.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Hey, there's users here playing the Baldur's Gate games on consoles and claiming is not that bad.
I swear some people would be happy shoving the controller up to their assholes and squeezing their buttlocks to press buttons if that meant they could stick to their beloved console no matter how much of a poor fit is for a genre.
You can pause in Baldur's Gate though.

BlackTron

I agree it could be "okay" on a controller if you really didn't care about taking the game seriously, just like the Nintendo 64 versions of Starcraft and C&C. Sure it could work, the same way Sonic on a phone works by using on-screen touch controls instead of buttons. It's a convenient option for those who neither care nor know any better.

Just have mouse/kb control for the game on Xbox in addition to a controller set up and the entire issue becomes moot. They already sell officially licensed mouse/kb sets for Xbox, if it doesn't work on a RTS game then why even sell it?

I can't wait to buy this game. I'll go through the single player campaign and spend some more time in skirmish and the other modes. I doubt i'll touch the multiplayer. I'm more of a single-player type.

Between Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition and Baldur's Gate III, October is going to be a good month.

Turned based games are fine. It is slower.
However, Diablo III was definitely built with a pad in mind, it is why the game was restricting you to only using 4 skills at any one time. You can tell because in DII there was no such restriction. Diablo III was not built for PC, AT ALL.

devilNprada

As a big fan of the original games and would love to play this again... I will only play a game like this (a huge CIV fan) on a handheld device like a Switch or Surface...
Turn based games like Panzer General turned out ok on the console, by why limit your play to the couch?

Top Bottom